Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

For the same reason he doesn't strike down non- beleivers instantly. He allows free will and determination.He didn't strike down adam and Eve. The bible says that he is not concern with when you die or how.But jesus healed many but not all people everywhere he went. Its about heaven not earth.Ceratinly he gave us the abiulity to preform miracles ;we see it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
For the same reason he doesn't strike down non- beleivers instantly. He allows free will and determination.He didn't strike down adam and Eve.
Why did he create them to be sinners? That's what I never understood. The bible depicts God as getting mad, upset, disappointed, etc... was he not aware of all the upcoming events? He's assigned such human emotions...

Quote:
The bible says that he is not concern with when you die or how.But jesus healed many but not all people everywhere he went. Its about heaven not earth.Ceratinly he gave us the abiulity to preform miracles ;we see it all the time.
What is your definition of a miracle?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Why did he create them to be sinners? That's what I never understood. The bible depicts God as getting mad, upset, disappointed, etc... was he not aware of all the upcoming events? He's assigned such human emotions...

What is your definition of a miracle?
He created them with the ability to choose, He did not want robots. And yes He know what was going to happen, that's why long before Adam and Eve, before the foundation of the world He planned on Jesus coming to die on the cross for us.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
He created them with the ability to choose, He did not want robots.
We are limited in many ways as it is. A limit to keep us in his good graces would have been... you know, nice/considerate/caring/etc. Don't you agree?

Quote:
And yes He know what was going to happen, that's why long before Adam and Eve, before the foundation of the world He planned on Jesus coming to die on the cross for us.
So the buck stops with God: the ultimate responsibility for every action good and bad on this Earth rests with God. The starvation of children and winning of Grammys. Yes?

This takes us back to the original question in this thread: why?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post

This takes us back to the original question in this thread: why?
I think there are many good answers posted in this thread. Why doesn't matter. What matters is how are you going to respond when something bad happens.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I think there are many good answers posted in this thread. Why doesn't matter. What matters is how are you going to respond when something bad happens.
Sure as heck won't go crying to the one who apparently wanted it to happen to me. I'll have to depend on myself.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Sometimes the bad things are brought on by us, consequences of sin.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Sometimes the bad things are brought on by us, consequences of sin.
You mean brought on by God's initial imperfect creation (sin included), per your earlier post:

"And yes He know what was going to happen, that's why long before Adam and Eve, before the foundation of the world He planned on Jesus coming to die on the cross for us."

Yes?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:06 AM

428 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
That is one of the most difficult things for me to swallow about the beginnings of good and evil from the religious perspective. I have a hard time believing that there is one sole entity that has the omniscience to know everything about everything but, despite all that, had {faith?} that his creation would not err and introduce evil into the world despite free will. Free will perhaps on our behalf, but wouldn't the omniscient creator still know what we were going to do as a result of our free will? It seriously does not make any sense whatsoever to me.
There's the crux of the matter. The only rational explanation for bad things happening is that there is no God, and things just happen--we interpret them as good or bad, although some things we all agree are "bad"--human suffering, for example--but if we decide to employ capital punishment and kill someone, even if that person is a serial killer who has caused untold suffering, is causing that lousy bum to suffer then "good?"

There is a huge paradox in saying an omniscient God bestowed Free Will on humanity, and that's the explanation for good and evil. As you say, if God is omniscient, he must know every single thing that ever did, or ever will, happen. If he knows that I'm about to type "these words" then I didn't type them of my own free will, did I? If I typed them of my own free will, then God couldn't have already known what I would type. Thus God is then not omniscient. Doesn't compute.

My answer (and I do have one ) is to behave as though we have free will, and accept the fact that by probability, some "bad", some indifferent, and some "good" things will happen. We can act as though we have the power to create more good, and thus whether or not it is pre-scripted, more good will happen as a result.

Teresa

Old 05-31-2008, 08:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Mozart271
Quote:
There is a huge paradox in saying an omniscient God bestowed Free Will on humanity, and that's the explanation for good and evil.
Why should an omniscient being be moral? Maybe man needs morals simply because he isn't omniscient?
So it could be that God just is 'immoral' (because He is omniscient) and gave us free will, because morality would not work without free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality