Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

Allah truth, I ditto Troops post..You will learn that even though we argue our cases very strongly from each side, we do agree on a lot of matters outside of religion and we tend to worry about each other. We cerainly are not here to convert each other, and actually we (almost all of us ) like each other..We have some threads here that I call chill rhreads where we have fun together and just enjoy each others company..You are welcome to dm me also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 AM

9 posts, read 53,871 times
Default My answer

I think the whole idea of no heaven, no spirit life is too frightening. Imagine asking yourself what your purpose in life is, to work hard all your life and just be dust? That there is no meaning? That my friend, would scare the poop out of any christian. When things are bad they need someone to pray to for things to get better. Imagine not having that outlet. Imagine when a loved one dies not being able to say "He's/She's in a better place"

I have known may people who used religion as a crutch, when things are good they hardly think about a higher purpose, hardly think about praising god, but let things go left and they're on their knees. The faithful have been that way all their lives, they are taught from birth, if it makes their lives easier why question it? To each their own, live and let live. Why question that they don't question?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Their beliefs? I can appreciate that many of your claims that god has worked miracles in your life (because I'm not saying there isn't a higher power), however, what I don't understand is why many Christians blindly accept religious indoctrination (often with little to no evidence to support it).

These same Christians will balk at proveable, repeatable, tangible scientific evidence which makes examines a number of variables and ultimately comes to a heavily supported conclusion.

Why?
Not sure your argument is logical.
(1) I know many people who came to their Christian faith because of their deep questioning. It was that search that lead them to Christianity.
(2) For those that do believe the Bible, they should continue to question - there is a scripture verse in that instructs them to test everything.
(3) There are many in the scientific community that questioned and have come to the Christian faith. I'm not sure where Science and Christianity conflict - if anything I think Science leads towards the incredible design and not happenstance that resulted in this life.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Dave, I think one of the examples that proves F355's point is evolution and the age of the earth:

It seems that in the face of overwhelming evidence that the world is more than 6,000 years old, many christians choose to believe that the world was built in a week around 6,000 years ago. Overwhelming evidence shows that the world is much older and that dinosaurs could not be found and dated within the christian time frame.

I have no problem with people believing what they believe, but they lose credibility when they deny scientific fact. I'm also aware that not all christians insist in this time frame, but many do.

This is only one example.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
As I see it, the problem is not trying to prove the truth or untruth about the bible. It is the lack of understanding that what happened in the past.....whenever that may be....has NO bearing on our lives today.

Does the size of Noah's Ark have any effect on your views of what's important, such as honesty, integrety, compassion, or other relationship to your fellow man?

There are many "loners" in this world. Most are quite happy. It's a matter of living one day at a time and not being concerned about the future. We made through yesterday, we will make it through today. What happens after we live does not bother us.

How useful are we? Do we make life more pleasant for those around us? Are people glad to see us? Share a cup of coffe with us? Maybe tell the latest joke? Can we help by doing some of the unpleasant things like working in homeless shelters? We don't have to "have faith" to be a friend.

What I am saying is that one's viewpoint of life need not depend on what others believe. I don't understand everything I know about chemistry, calculus, history. It doesn't matter. What is important is what I how I make my life today.

It's only natural that if you think, at times you will question, and that's totally understandable. It's the way that some minds work. To always accept without question is something that I, for one, cannot understand.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The thing is that we can see the actions our loved ones show us on a daily basis. We can surmise that, yes, based on our trust in them and their actions towards us that they do love us. But, again, love is a definition that is parallel with what "good" or "evil" is. Suffice it to say, I do understand that Christians feel as if God shows them his love in much the same way a spouse does. The problem is that while I can see, touch, and hear my spouse show me love, it is with faith that people believe God exists and with faith that he loves them. So, while people see the good things in their life as the works of God, this does not make the existence of God true. This is not a good argument to parallel with a spouse because at least my spouse is something that I can prove beyond a reasonable doubt exists.
I'm wasn't comparing the love of a spouse with the love of God. I was demonstrating the faith required to believe that one's spouse loves them with the faith required to believe God exists. I am thinking you knew that, but just wanted to clarify.
People can be very good actors. If one has something to gain, he/she can "pretend" very well to love someone. It is faith in knowing that the spouse loves you that makes all the difference in the world. If you don't have faith, things can really become a big mess...in a relationship, as well as spiritually.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Their beliefs? I can appreciate that many of your claims that god has worked miracles in your life (because I'm not saying there isn't a higher power), however, what I don't understand is why many Christians blindly accept religious indoctrination (often with little to no evidence to support it).

These same Christians will balk at proveable, repeatable, tangible scientific evidence which makes examines a number of variables and ultimately comes to a heavily supported conclusion.

Why?
It depends on which christian my friend, a lot do question things and provide perfectly rational explanations for their beliefs, and they have a scientific foundation.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ive-views.html

Peace, Love, Light and Harmony

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-12-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
i honestly believe youre wrong...because most atheist that ive met...claim not to believe because they don't care...not of any logical findings
As I said, I can't speak for every atheist. My experience with them has been that of which I spoke. Not believing because not caring, and not believing due to any logical findings don't really make a difference to me. You're right in the sense that I don't believe because, in fact, I do not care. I do not care about God just as you probably don't care about Thor, Zeus, or Shiva. Although, it was with ration and logic, that I deduced there is no God and therefore I no longer care.

Quote:
also though...i believe everything can be logically explained...so i would never claim that anyone was a demonized bastard or even wrong for any religion or lack there of(logically you might not understand that)...but what i believe in anyone who would refuse logic or knowledge..or just holds on to the ignorance that plagues them and everyone...would be the "demonized bastard"..and that goes with every religion...ive come to find that its definitely not of what you believe in ..its in how you believe ..and the knowledge you acquire
You're right, everything can be logically explained, but not everything currently has an explanation but that doesn't detract from what I said earlier. The fact that there's an Easter Basket in your house does not make it any more true that there's an Easter Bunny.

Quote:
also ill say it openly..good call youre right..i have toyed with suicide..actually i have decided to a few times..presently no..but i believe humanity is regressing rather then moving forward...and that gives me great depression cause i feel unable to do anything about it...and also at times i feel like life is pointless and i cant even connect with humanity as a whole or individually .. and though i can fake it and always had friends and girls.. lately ive been becoming more of a loner.in that i only really socialize with those who i have found love for..but..i feel substantially different...maybe even superior at times...but also inferior at the same time because i cant truly connect..also it might be because im 19 years old and im having trouble becoming a man and merging with society..but usually when i get to the point of suicide...i have a curiosity of whats going to happen in the world...and choose to wait it out
As I said, my DM's are always open if you want to do nothing more than just vent. To me, life is much too grand to contemplate taking away on my own accord. No matter what, it seems, regardless of how down things are, things will always work themself out in the end. Perhaps you just need to find your niche in life? I know that age for me was quite troubling but life got much better. Don't sweat the small stuff, and don't sell yourself short. Publicly, I don't think we should talk about this much more unless, of course, you are comfortable with it. As I said, you can always DM me, but I would most surely like to encourage you to perhaps seek some professional counseling? There is nothing embarassing in it and maybe if people recognized they needed outside help a little more often than perhaps this would be a better world? So, please, if you ever feel the need to get something off your chest, or if you contemplate those sorts of things please contact someone before you make any rash decisions.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
i believe humanity is regressing rather then moving forward...and that gives me great depression cause i feel unable to do anything about it...and also at times i feel like life is pointless and i cant even connect with humanity as a whole or individually .. and though i can fake it and always had friends and girls.. lately ive been becoming more of a loner.in that i only really socialize with those who i have found love for..but..i feel substantially different...maybe even superior at times...but also inferior at the same time because i cant truly connect..also it might be because im 19 years old and im having trouble becoming a man and merging with society..but usually when i get to the point of suicide...i have a curiosity of whats going to happen in the world...and choose to wait it out
Regardless of your beliefs, please understand that it is not your responsibility to make humanity progress. You cannot control humanity and nobody should attempt that. Do not base yourself or your beliefs on others. Make progress in your own life - it's the best anyone can do.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
i honestly believe youre wrong...because most atheist that ive met...claim not to believe because they don't care...not of any logical findings
also though...i believe everything can be logically explained...so i would never claim that anyone was a demonized bastard or even wrong for any religion or lack there of(logically you might not understand that)...but what i believe in anyone who would refuse logic or knowledge..or just holds on to the ignorance that plagues them and everyone...would be the "demonized bastard"..and that goes with every religion...ive come to find that its definitely not of what you believe in ..its in how you believe ..and the knowledge you acquire
also ill say it openly..good call youre right..i have toyed with suicide..actually i have decided to a few times..presently no..but i believe humanity is regressing rather then moving forward...and that gives me great depression cause i feel unable to do anything about it...and also at times i feel like life is pointless and i cant even connect with humanity as a whole or individually .. and though i can fake it and always had friends and girls.. lately ive been becoming more of a loner.in that i only really socialize with those who i have found love for..but..i feel substantially different...maybe even superior at times...but also inferior at the same time because i cant truly connect..also it might be because im 19 years old and im having trouble becoming a man and merging with society..but usually when i get to the point of suicide...i have a curiosity of whats going to happen in the world...and choose to wait it out

i donno..most of you didn't need to hear that...but..its kinda philosophy so i thought if im going to talk about it why not have it out there in the open

Allah, I think it is sometimes difficult at any age to "connect with humanity as a whole or individually." We have all certainly felt that at one point in time or another. --At least the vast majority of people, if they are honest, probably have.

Whether or not "humanity is regressing" or not is a perspective that oftentimes is subject to change. Within any of our individual contexts, who can actually tell whether we as mankind are moving forward, or for that matter, standing still? Or evolving? Haven't the philosophers and theologians pondered that very querie for centuries? So you are hardly alone in your pondering the same. However:

Sometimes one needs to differentiate the ponderings from the rest of one's self. The one positive, evolving aspect in all of us as human beings is that we have the capacity to step back from our own abstract thought process(es). Questioning is good, but not at the expense of the self. Your self is far more precious than any philosophical debate. June brings that point up in response to what you have mentioned above. ...And you can always DM June! But whatever the case, please be assured that even at the age of 19, life has enormous potential to evolve in positive directions. Your life has enormous potential to evolve in positive directions! And so, in the meantime, I am asking you...

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality