Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM

692 posts, read 1,731,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by kaykay This is probably because Christians only live in a Christian environment. Within a Christian environment there is no need to question Christianity.
As soon as you place a Christian in a radically different environment, he starts to realise that 'reality' can be entirely different from the way he'd always experienced. And soon he'll start to ponder on how these differences came to be and why things are different.
Hopefully he’ll realise that change might not be such a terrible thing so he will not fear it as much as most Christians seem to do.
Christians live in the same world everyone else does. I attended public schools, grew up with friends of different faiths, and I read about any topic that catches my attention. When I went to college it was not a religous institution. I have remained a Christian and my faith has grown not diminished. What do you think a Christian environment is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by liliblu
Quote:
I have remained a Christian and my faith has grown not diminished. What do you think a Christian environment is?
Sorry, I should've said that with a non-Christian environment I mean any non-Western civilisation or any 'primitive' civilisaition.

Last edited by Tricky D; 11-27-2007 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs Because he's got faith in science?
Well that's just downright scary.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs
Quote:
Well that's just downright scary.
The thing is they probably won't call it faith, but trust ( since you can't prove faith).
I don’t think it’s scary, we all have to believe in something.
Anywayz, I find science, religion, magic, philosophy and such nothing more than a belief-system through which we interpret reality.
‘Primitive’ civilisations interpret reality mainly through magic & religion and ‘modern’ societies mainly through philosophy & science.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM

110 posts, read 377,280 times
Many Christians, certainly almost all fundamentalists, don't question because they are emotionally children who see life as terrifying and want Daddy to break everything down into a black and white rule list that will govern their interpretations and responses. If they encounter something that challenges their swallowed-whole-because-Daddy-says-it's-true beliefs, they simply do not process the information. The information never reaches the processing center. It's as though an entire circuit panel in their brains has been disconnected. Instead of having their stomachs stapled to prevent the receipt and processing of food, metaphorically, they've had their brains stapled.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post
Many Christians, certainly almost all fundamentalists, don't question because they are emotionally children who see life as terrifying and want Daddy to break everything down into a black and white rule list that will govern their interpretations and responses. If they encounter something that challenges their swallowed-whole-because-Daddy-says-it's-true beliefs, they simply do not process the information. The information never reaches the processing center. It's as though an entire circuit panel in their brains has been disconnected. Instead of having their stomachs stapled to prevent the receipt and processing of food, metaphorically, they've had their brains stapled.
Well,thank you!! For the free psychoanalysis of most christians and fundamentalists..I always pray that "big daddy" will forgive the persecutors and insulters..

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Speaking the truth when its something someone wants to remain in denial about does not equal being a persecutor. Questioning, calling for the use of logic over emotion is not persecution.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post
I respectfully disagree with your statements. Have you met "almost all fundamentalists" to say they don't question? I, myself, identify as a fundamentalist Christian... although I'm sure my definition does not equate to your definition. You make very broad statements and judgements about an entire category of people on what basis? I, personally, would not say such irrational and erroneous things about other people whom I didn't know.

As I stated previously, I question and I question a lot. Knowledge is the key to our faith. As believers we are to have an answer for the hope that is inside us. Granted, I'm sure there are believers that don't question their faith and accept it at face value. If that works for some, fine. But there are many, many others who do seek answers to questions, who seek understanding. And there are many who came to the Christian faith because of the answers they found.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Speaking the truth when its something someone wants to remain in denial about does not equal being a persecutor. Questioning, calling for the use of logic over emotion is not persecution.
What exactly are fundamental Christians "remaining in denial" about?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mams1559
Quote:
What exactly are fundamental Christians "remaining in denial" about?
About thinking outside the box?
I'd say that fundamental Christians refuse to play outside the box they call the Bible. They'd rather pull 'outside' things into their Bible.
But I guess it would only be 'logical' for a fundamental Christian to not think outside the box, otherwise he wouldn't be called fundamental now would he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality