Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 AM

116 posts, read 282,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Omniscience or not makes absolutely no difference in the fact that foreknowledge has no impact on our choices!!
Omniscience makes every difference. It's the whole crux of what we are discussing.

Quote:
Exactly... it's your choice if it's carried out or not.
Very well! Your god KNOWS that you will drink a coffee at 8pm tonight. Now go ahead and explain to me how you can choose not to..... and thereby prove gods knowledge of your actions to be wrong.

Quote:
But if you didn't change the plan? Would I now be able to say that you couldn't have changed because I knew it?
You are confusing knowing the plan with knowing the outcome of the plan. When you overhear my plan, do you KNOW that it will be carried out? No you don't..... and if I don't change my plan you still can't say I couldn't have changed my mind because unlike the Christian god you didn't KNOW the outcome.

Quote:
This is like saying that when I drive my car, it arrives at my known destination because of my thoughts alone.
Huh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Who says that God knows the future with infallibility?
Christianity.

Quote:
Do we have proof of that?
None whatsoever.

Quote:
I am sure God could do what he wanted and move us like puppets if He wanted, but then what would be our porpuse here if we were just puppets?
Why does our being here have to have a purpose?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
what if everything is like a multiple choice question...that make free will an illusion..in that we can choose...but the one who makes the question picks which ways you can go
You lost me there AT!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,359 times
[quote=Cheguevara;1985998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Very well! Your god KNOWS that you will drink a coffee at 8pm tonight. Now go ahead and explain to me how you can choose not to..... and thereby prove gods knowledge of your actions to be wrong.
even if some how you can change your fate of drinking that cup of coffee...god would have foreknowledge that you would change your fate of drinking that coffee...but does this mean he controls whether or not you drink the coffee....no i think not
but i do think if in the christian sense of god knowing how everything is going to play out he already knows who is going to hell and who is going to heaven..therefor making our existence pointless

Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
.......but i do think if in the christian sense of god knowing how everything is going to play out he already knows who is going to hell and who is going to heaven..therefor making our existence pointless
My point exactly AT........so if he KNOWS that someone is going to hell, how can that someone become a Christian and become saved?....and what is the point of a benevolent deity deliberately creating a being that he knows is going to be tortured for eternity (allegedly)? What I'm trying to say in this thread is that IF the Christian god is omniscient then our lives are pre-determined and there is nothing that can be done to change the outcome.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
[quote=allah truth;1986144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
but i do think if in the christian sense of god knowing how everything is going to play out he already knows who is going to hell and who is going to heaven..therefor making our existence pointless
That's one of the conundrums of Christianity that turned me away from it.
Not that I care about the "point" of our existence - I'm happy to believe that there is NOT one (other than what we make of our lives and what that means to us individually). Even as a Christian I had no need to figure out God's will. I felt that God knew how we would end up but that he did not know/care how we got there. Hence, we spend a lifetime going about our business and, essentially, carving out our own futures.

You can go 'round and 'round trying to perceive how a god might "know the future", etc. It's an unending philosophical question that cannot be answered. So it's not our existence that is pointless - but trying to assign meaning to it is, itself, pointless.

Maybe if I had been a more devoted Christian I would have spent my life trying to figure out this stuff. But I have better things to do and also I just don't believe that there is any predestination.

Our destinies are our own responsibilities.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Our destinies are our own responsibilities.
Hear! Hear!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Of course I don't even believe there is a God but I'm still not convinced that we have free will. It could just be an illusion. If there was a God and he was as all knowing as everyone supposes he is then it would only make sense that he would know absolutely everything including what will happen to each and every one of us in the future. It kind of makes you wonder what the point would be in going through this whole exercise if it was already determined who was going to heaven and hell but that's just one of the mysteries of Christianity.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Well, I look at God and His all knowing this way...I have 4 children and nine grand children..I taught them about God, and right from wrong, and advised when they asked, Once they reached a certain age I allowed them to make their own choices about their lives..I did not interfere with their choices, even though there were a couple of "Doozies" that were clearly against what they had learned..But, I was always here, loving them, for all their mistakes, hoping they would change their minds and come back and tell me they had made a big mistake and were ready to change the course they had chosen............Not to mention that in my family the change usually involved me paying their debts

Old 11-13-2007, 09:27 PM

366 posts, read 540,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
If a god knows the future with infallible certainty, then what this god knows will happen - there is no possibility for anything else to occur.

At the end of the corridor are two identical doors. Does god know which door you will take? If he does, is it at all possible for you to take the other door? You have no choice in the matter, you have no free will.
I think this is the crux of your argument, Cheguevara, and this is where I think it gets problematic. Your argument completely depends on what you mean by "possible," and what the scope of this term covers. For example, I think most of us can agree that, granted an omniscient God, if God knows X is going to happen, then there is no "possibility" that anything besides X is going to happen. If God KNOWS it, then it's TRUE, and it's going to happen.

But here is where it gets tricky (and a little background in modal logic might help to see the issue). We can't simply move from "it is necessarily true that if God knows X, then X is going to happen," to "if God knows X, then necessarily X is going to happen." In other words, God can know I'm going to eat the apple tonight, so I WILL eat the apple. But it doesn't follow that I CANNOT eat an orange instead. Even though I eat the apple, and God knows this, it can still be POSSIBLE for me to eat an orange. And this may even be part of God's knowledge--maybe God knows BOTH that I will eat the apple AND that it is possible for me to eat the orange. I think these statements are consistent, and that's why I think free will and God's omniscience are compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality