Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 03:13 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ahem, pretty sure I'm older than you, Hanni.
I thought you were about 35?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 05:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I thought you were about 35?...
I was! 26 years ago!

Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I was! 26 years ago!
Ok...35....I got it...

Old 01-21-2020, 09:24 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I can find nothing here that describes what a soul is, what its attributes are, or if it exists at all. There is an ancient story, some assertions, but nothing that would qualify as evidential warrant. It seems what we might be referring to is consciousness. But that only exists in the human brain from the time it develops late in pregnancy, until death, when it is extinguished and ceases to exist permanently and irrevocably.
Once God breathed the 'breath of life' into lifeless Adam, then Adam ' became ' a living soul - Genesis 2:7
Adam did Not have a soul, Adam did Not possess a soul, rather Adam was a soul, was a living soul or person.
At death Adam became a dead soul, a lifeless soul.
Or, as Ezekiel 18:4, 20 says the soul that sins dies. Adam sinned and that is why all of Adam died.
ALL of Adam ' returned ' to where Adam started, the dust of the ground - Genesis 3:19.
Gospel writer Luke also wrote at Acts 3:23 that the soul can be destroyed.
This is in harmony with Psalm 92:7 that the wicked will be ' destroyed forever '.
We are given the choice at 2nd Peter 3:9 to ' repent ' if we do Not want to ' perish ' ( <-meaning be destroyed )
Even wicked sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus according to Hebrews 2:14 B.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:49 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Once God breathed the 'breath of life' into lifeless Adam, then Adam ' became ' a living soul - Genesis 2:7
Adam did Not have a soul, Adam did Not possess a soul, rather Adam was a soul, was a living soul or person.
At death Adam became a dead soul, a lifeless soul.
Or, as Ezekiel 18:4, 20 says the soul that sins dies. Adam sinned and that is why all of Adam died.
ALL of Adam ' returned ' to where Adam started, the dust of the ground - Genesis 3:19.
Gospel writer Luke also wrote at Acts 3:23 that the soul can be destroyed.
This is in harmony with Psalm 92:7 that the wicked will be ' destroyed forever '.
We are given the choice at 2nd Peter 3:9 to ' repent ' if we do Not want to ' perish ' ( <-meaning be destroyed )
Even wicked sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus according to Hebrews 2:14 B.
What part of this is evidence? I’m not seeing it. The Bible is evidence of God. How do you know that? Because it says so in the Bible.

I’m dizzy from just typing that paragraph because the argument it presents is a perfect circle. And an utter fallacy.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
What part of this is evidence? I’m not seeing it. The Bible is evidence of God. How do you know that? Because it says so in the Bible.

I’m dizzy from just typing that paragraph because the argument it presents is a perfect circle. And an utter fallacy.
Berei**** - Genesis - Chapter 2

7 And the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and He breathed into his nostrils the soul of life, and man became a living soul.

So, what was he before he became a living soul?...

Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:

7 And the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and He breathed into his nostrils the soul of life, and man became a living soul.

Except I am not aware of any convincing evidence that any of this actually happened. In the absence of such evidence, I go with the null hypothesis. That it didn’t happen. It’s mythology. The bottom line is we don’t know how life started but are learning more and more about abiogenesis and a natural solution to the question. But until and unless scientific exploration and discovery provide that knowledge, the best policy is to simply say I don’t know and leave it there.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:06 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

Dirt. Says so right there.

Also find it amusing that half the Hebrew name for Genesis can't get past the language filter.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Except I am not aware of any convincing evidence that any of this actually happened. In the absence of such evidence, I go with the null hypothesis. That it didn’t happen. It’s mythology. The bottom line is we don’t know how life started but are learning more and more about abiogenesis and a natural solution to the question. But until and unless scientific exploration and discovery provide that knowledge, the best policy is to simply say I don’t know and leave it there.
I was merely speaking of what the Hebrew Bible actually says....Whether one believes it or not is mute...

Old 01-22-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Dirt. Says so right there.

Also find it amusing that half the Hebrew name for Genesis can't get past the language filter.
So, you’re stating that Adam’s soul came from the dirt?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality