Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times

Advertisements

What is so cool about TTBOTD is that, like many other religions, it uses mythology to teach the philosophy. It is a guidebook that is read aloud over a person who has recently died. It is a funeral rite that tells the stories of what a person experiences after they die, and outlines a possible journey back to life reincarnated through a chosen womb, as it provides compassion for those traversing the straits of the in-between, as the in-between can often be perilous with fierce deities. It is a guidebook and source of compassion for those experiencing a spiritual, or otherwise, rebirth. And they didn't have to kill anybody to show you the way and express their eternal compassion, like the Bible does. Buddha just simply tells you. Shows you.

Probably the best poetry ever written imo.

-A prayer for those recently banned-

Now that I wander alone, apart from my loved ones,
And all my visions are but empty images,
May the Buddhas exert the force of their compassion,
And stop the fear- and hate-drawn terrors of the Between!

TTBOTD

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 08-29-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Jesus tries to express the same kind of eternal compassion and guidance as Buddha's through his TBOTD. I think the idea Jesus had was he taught his followers to absorb him on the cross, take him into your heart and give your souls to God though him, and then be reborn anew, living the same philosophy as the Buddha's TBOTD. The problem with me is the fact that YHWH takes credit for Jesus's expression and guidance. The TBOTD does not have the horrible conflicts, and horrible violence and confusion. TTBOTD is a way to love eternally as Christianity teaches, without all the violence, endless conflicts and confusion of the Bible. Christianity shares the same philosophy as TTBOTD regarding eternal life, and provides the same eternal compassion as TTBOTD, but TTBOTD beats the Bible HANDS DOWN morally and in every other way imo. And it provides you Heaven, and plants the seed of eternal life way better than Jesus ever could. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 08-29-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Actually, having studied Buddhism over the years, I realize how it seems specifically designed for those experiencing a conversion. Need to convert to another religion? Your current religion's got you down? Go to Buddha. That is what he is there for. He transcends all religion with his simple storytelling. The Buddha is VERY wise.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:53 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I must say that Buddhism is very accommodating for anyone having problems with their religion, or a lack of it.

The only thing it doesn't have is god -devotion (and I'm not even sure it doesn't have something similar to that).

Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I must say that Buddhism is very accommodating for anyone having problems with their religion, or a lack of it.

The only thing it doesn't have is god -devotion (and I'm not even sure it doesn't have something similar to that).
With religion, it is about God and his compassion. With Buddhism, it is all about Buddha and his compassion. Only a fool would have a problem with Buddha loving as God does. srsly. Buddhism takes you to a place where morality comes before horrible open acts of murder, lies and evil. That transcends any false "God" out there. He is a very simple man. IT teaches that the most important thing in life is living the right doctrine. Don't be fooled by those that use miracles to convert people. Be sensible, just. Controlling people by lying, performing party trick "miracles" and through Terrorism is bad(The Abrahamics). Buddha, the truth and freedom to seek out the right compassion from wherever it may exist, worship it, take it to influence, shower love for it, and spread it's influence is good. Very simple. Just be moral about it. When you let your moral compass take over, you receive the sword of the Rider. Questioning the morality of religions is the way of the Buddha.

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 08-29-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 PM

Buddha is a rock. He is faithful and true. He was properly educated. Much of his philosophy is derived from Hinduism, which stretches back as far as over 17,000 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of Egypt as well. Ancient Egyptian mythology looks to me to be of very similar philosophies that instills compassion for those traversing the same straits as TTBOTD outlines. In other words The Tibetan death ritual looks similar to that of Ancient Egypt's. They have the same approach. Makes me wonder if they are connected in ways. They certainly are as far as their approach to freedom of worship. Both societies and their religions are derived out of living the philosophy of freedom to worship, and freedom of religion. Ancient Egypt mythos and Hinduism are VERY similar in their regards to basic human rights, and should be lauded for it imo. That's a great feat. Hinduism is 17,000 years of living religion- free. Same with Egypt. Too bad for Egypt these days.....

Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Questioning the morality of religions is the way of the Buddha.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Questioning the morality of religions is the way of the Buddha.

Questioning the morality of religions is what Jesus failed to do. That is where Buddha is very different from Jesus. The immoral acts in the OT were there, and Jesus chose to ignore them. Buddha teaches to be skeptical of doctrines, and there is certainly no reason NOT to question the Bible, as the Bible is on VERY shaky ground, on many different levels. Jesus of the Bible was not guided by his sense of morality when it came to Moses and YHWH. But, him being a Jew meant he had no Dharma available. Jesus was born imprisoned into that doctrine of terrorism. That's all he knew in relations to any kind of "God". We have the entire globe, we have the Dharma, Jesus had YHWH. And NOTHING else. If Jesus looked to the Bible for clues as to who God is in Heaven, then he was imprisoned, kidnapped, lied to, and brainwashed into thinking the rest of the world is to be hated and fought against. That is what Moses and YHWH are all about. No mercy. Everyone is a sinner, and everyone deserves to die. That is the OT. Yet he, nor anyone in the NT condemn anything about it. The writers of the NT actually link the God of Jesus to YHWH. It boggles my mind how they can give the doctrine that condemned Jesus to die all the credit in the world, and actually link Moses's "God" to that of Jesus's.

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 08-29-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Jesus was condemned to die because it is what YHWH demanded, and needed, all praise YHWH. That is the NT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality