Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DID YOU PRAY THAT PRAYER AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS THREAD TO GOD?
YES 5 7.35%
NO 31 45.59%
I ALREADY PRAYED THAT PRAYER BEFORE 29 42.65%
OTHER 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 AM

60 posts, read 76,707 times

Advertisements

Your definition of aions is corrupt. Most bible scholars interpret it as forever.

Think about this:

If hell is not eternal, then why do we need a Savior? Why not just let us serve our sentence? A finite hell means that there is HOPE. Those bound for hell have no HOPE.

If they would get out one day, there would be hope, but the bible says that they have NO hope.

Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

1Th 4:13 ¶ But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

Tit 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
Your definition of aions is corrupt. Most bible scholars interpret it as forever.
It may be corrupt to you Xfrodobagginsx, but it is not corrupt to many. A majority does not make something true. Scholars disagree. Many of the early Christians believed in the eventual restoration of all to God based on what they understood the language to say and they were not condemned for believing and understanding this.

Quote:
Think about this:

If hell is not eternal, then why do we need a Savior? Why not just let us serve our sentence? A finite hell means that there is HOPE. Those bound for hell have no HOPE.
Jesus came to save us from our sins and the result of sin, which is death. He came to destroy the works of Satan.

Yes there is hope because it was God's good pleasure to reconcile all to Himself according to Colossians 1. God is able to do anything that He desires to do. Satan, sin, death, and the rebellious will of a blind man is no match for Him.

Isaiah46:9-10

"Remember the former things long past. For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure."

Also the creation is to be delivered from the slavery to corruption and changed into the glorious liberty of the children of God according to Romans 8. All are to reunited, headed up in Christ Jesus the Lord according to Ephesians 1.

Quote:
If they would get out one day, there would be hope, but the bible says that they have NO hope.

Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

1Th 4:13 ¶ But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
*hope=elpis=desire of some good with expectation of obtaining it.

Many who were not believers in Jesus Christ did not have the hope or expectation of the resurrection. They did not have this hope because they knew not or believed not and only looked forward to endless death.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-22-2007 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-22-2007, 08:18 PM

Here are some OT references in the scriptures which speak to the eventual restoration of all.

Gen. 12: 1

Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go forth from your country,
And from your relatives
And from your father's house,
To the land which I will show you;
2. And I will make you a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And so you shall be a blessing;
3. And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse.
And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

Psalms 22:
27. All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
28. For the kingdom is the LORD'S
And He rules over the nations.
29. All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship,
All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep his soul alive

Psalms 66
4. "All the earth will worship You,
And will sing praises to You;
They will sing praises to Your name." Selah

Psalms 68:18
You have ascended on high, You have led captive Your captives;
You have received gifts among men,
Even among the rebellious also, that the LORD God may dwell there

Psalms 98
1. A Psalm. O sing to the LORD a new song,
For He has done wonderful things,
His right hand and His holy arm have gained the victory for Him.
2. The LORD has made known His salvation;
He has revealed His righteousness in the sight of the nations.
3. He has remembered His lovingkindness and His faithfulness to the house of Israel;
All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
4. Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth; break forth and sing for joy and sing praises."

Isaiah 25:6-8
The LORD of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain;
A banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow,
And refined, aged wine.
7. And on this mountain He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples,
Even the veil which is stretched over all nations.
8. He will swallow up death for all time,
And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces,
And He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth;
For the LORD has spoken.

Isaiah 45:22-25
"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.
23. "I have sworn by Myself,
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness
And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
24. "They will say of Me, `Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.'
Men will come to Him,
And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame.
25. "In the LORD all the offspring of Israel
Will be justified and will glory."

Zephaniah 3
8 "Therefore wait for Me," declares the LORD,
"For the day when I rise up as a witness.
Indeed, My decision is to gather nations,
To assemble kingdoms,
To pour out on them My indignation,
All My burning anger;
For all the earth will be devoured
By the fire of My zeal.
9. "For then I will give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the LORD,
To serve Him shoulder to shoulder

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-22-2007 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-22-2007, 08:29 PM

Some NT References

John 1:1-9
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.2. He was in the beginning with God.3. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.4. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.5. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.6. There came a man sent from God, whose name was John.7. He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him.8. He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.9. There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.

John 12:27-32
27. "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, `Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour.28. "Father, glorify Your name." Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."29. So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, "An angel has spoken to Him."30. Jesus answered and said, "This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes.31. "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.32. "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

Romans 8:18-22
18. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.19. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.20. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope21. that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.22. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

1 Corinthians 15:16-28
16. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;17. and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.18. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.19. If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.20. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.21. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.22. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.23. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,24. then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.25. For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.26. The last enemy that will be abolished is death.27. For HE HAS PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET. But when He says, "All things are put in subjection," it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him.28. When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Colossians 1:15-20
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven

All references NAS. God bless

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-22-2007 at 09:09 PM..

Old 12-24-2007, 10:44 AM

60 posts, read 76,707 times
You're going to have to underline the parts that you believe say that all will be saved. Salvation is offered to the whole world, but most will reject it.

It seems that we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I would love it if folks didn't have to go to hell forever, but I believe that. It seems to me that if you don't believe in eternal death, then you can't believe in eternal life. You can't have it both ways. It's the same word used for both.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
You're going to have to underline the parts that you believe say that all will be saved. Salvation is offered to the whole world, but most will reject it.
Hi , I can't underline but will put it in bold.

Gen. 12: 1

Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go forth from your country,
And from your relatives
And from your father's house,
To the land which I will show you;
2. And I will make you a great nation,
And I will bless you,
And make your name great;
And so you shall be a blessing;
3. And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse.
And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

Psalms 22:
27. All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
28. For the kingdom is the LORD'S
And He rules over the nations.
29. All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship,
All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep his soul alive

Psalms 66
4. "All the earth will worship You,
And will sing praises to You;
They will sing praises to Your name." Selah

Psalms 68:18
You have ascended on high, You have led captive Your captives;
You have received gifts among men,
Even among the rebellious also, that the LORD God may dwell there

Psalms 98
1. A Psalm. O sing to the LORD a new song,
For He has done wonderful things,
His right hand and His holy arm have gained the victory for Him.
2. The LORD has made known His salvation;
He has revealed His righteousness in the sight of the nations.
3. He has remembered His lovingkindness and His faithfulness to the house of Israel;
All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
4. Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth; break forth and sing for joy and sing praises."

Isaiah 25:6-8
The LORD of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain;
A banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow,
And refined, aged wine.
7. And on this mountain He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples,
Even the veil which is stretched over all nations.
8. He will swallow up death for all time,
And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces,
And He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth;
For the LORD has spoken.

Isaiah 45:22-25
"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.
23. "I have sworn by Myself,
The word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness
And will not turn back,
That to Me every knee will bow, every tongue will swear allegiance.
24. "They will say of Me, `Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.'
Men will come to Him,
And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame.
25. "In the LORD all the offspring of Israel
Will be justified and will glory."

Zephaniah 3
8 "Therefore wait for Me," declares the LORD,
"For the day when I rise up as a witness.
Indeed, My decision is to gather nations,
To assemble kingdoms,
To pour out on them My indignation,
All My burning anger;
For all the earth will be devoured
By the fire of My zeal.
9. "For then I will give to the peoples purified lips,
That all of them may call on the name of the LORD,
To serve Him shoulder to shoulder

Some NT References

John 1:1-9
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.2. He was in the beginning with God.3. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.4. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.5. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.6. There came a man sent from God, whose name was John.7. He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him.8. He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.9. There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.

John 12:27-32
27. "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, `Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour.28. "Father, glorify Your name." Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."29. So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, "An angel has spoken to Him."30. Jesus answered and said, "This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes.31. "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.32. "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

Romans 8:18-22
18. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.19. For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God.20. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope21. that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.22. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

1 Corinthians 15:16-28
16. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;17. and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.18. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.19. If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.20. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.21. For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.22. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.23. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,24. then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.25. For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.26. The last enemy that will be abolished is death.27. For HE HAS PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET. But when He says, "All things are put in subjection," it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him.28. When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Colossians 1:15-20
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven

Quote:

It seems that we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I would love it if folks didn't have to go to hell forever, but I believe that. It seems to me that if you don't believe in eternal death, then you can't believe in eternal life. You can't have it both ways. It's the same word used for both.
Hi, yes we will have to agree to disagree. Eternal life will happen when we are resurrected and become immortal. This was shared before.

Quote:
Many present the argument, "If aionios, eonian, does not mean endless time, then the believers do not have eternal, or everlasting life. The word is used at Romans 16:26 concerning God, and surely He is 'eternal;' therefore, the word must mean unlimited." As has been shown, the word in itself refers to limited time. However, the Greek does have a way of expressing endlessness by using words other than eon or eonian, such as in Luke 1:33: ouk estai telos, "there will be no end." Endless life is spoken of at Hebrews 7:16 thus: zoâs akatalutou, "indissoluable life." The margin of the ASV: "indissoluable life." KJV: "endless life."
Believers do have endless life, for 1 Cor. 15:42 says the dead will be raised in "incorruption," and 1 Cor. 15:53 speaks of "deathlessness," or "immortality" (Greek: aphtharsia and athanasia) Endlessness is expressed by such particles as "not," "un-," "in-," "-less." Death will ultimately be abolished (see 1 Cor. 15:16), and when death is abolished, all that can remain is endless life for all. First Corinthians 15:22 in its context says that life will be IN CHRIST, where there will be no more dying, and those in the resurrection here mentioned will be incorruptible and immortal (see 1 Cor. 15:42, 53)
The Tentmaker
http://www.tentmaker.org/

Death cannot be eternal if it is to be abolished one day. I believe that many will experience aionios punishment and many will experience aionios life. Aionios meaning of relating to the age or ages.

Quote:
I would love it if folks didn't have to go to hell
Why would you love it Xfrodobagginsx? Just wondering. Again, I do believe that many will experience hell and that it is necessary for the eventual subjection of all, but I don't believe that it will go on forever and ever without end. Have a Merry Christmas and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-24-2007 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Just came across some notes today,

Isaiah 26:9

"For when the earth experiences Thy judgments, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."

"God's purpose is good. He is Love, and He does nothing dislocated from love. How can Divine wrath be detached from Divine love? He does nothing outside his nature. He is not fractured and polarized against Himself. Is God at war with his nature when he punishes? Righteous judgment does not mean sticking a needle in someone's eye and it certainly does not involve handing his creation over to infinite defeat. A judge finds justice in all situations, and deals according to the heart's intent, making right what was wrong, and making whole what was once broken. That is God's wisdom and love in judgment.

Indeed, in the ages to come, His people will be glorified in him. In those ages, others will be shut out from his presence and judged...There is also an aion of judgment. During aionios punishment perfect justice is done by a perfect God who alone determines the time needed to achieve his own purpose - that the ones being judged learn righteousness. His wrath achieves his heart's desire. It has always been so.

Is anything too difficult for God?"
http://www.mercifultruth.com/eternity.htm

God bless.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 PM

364 posts, read 765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Just came across some notes today,

Isaiah 26:9

"For when the earth experiences Thy judgments, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."

"God's purpose is good. He is Love, and He does nothing dislocated from love. How can Divine wrath be detached from Divine love? He does nothing outside his nature. He is not fractured and polarized against Himself. Is God at war with his nature when he punishes? Righteous judgment does not mean sticking a needle in someone's eye and it certainly does not involve handing his creation over to infinite defeat. A judge finds justice in all situations, and deals according to the heart's intent, making right what was wrong, and making whole what was once broken. That is God's wisdom and love in judgment.

Indeed, in the ages to come, His people will be glorified in him. In those ages, others will be shut out from his presence and judged...There is also an aion of judgment. During aionios punishment perfect justice is done by a perfect God who alone determines the time needed to achieve his own purpose - that the ones being judged learn righteousness. His wrath achieves his heart's desire. It has always been so.

Is anything too difficult for God?"
http://www.mercifultruth.com/eternity.htm

God bless.
Revelation 20:10 (New King James Version)

New King James Version (NKJV) Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where[a] the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

what do you think about this?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 PM

Hi HistoryasitIS, this was shared on an earlier post on this thread.

"Various English translations of Matthew 25:46, and 2) Revelation 20:10. Just sharing.

King James Version, 1611 spelled as in the original
1. And these shall goe away into euerlasting punishment : but the righteous into life eternall
2. And the deuil that deceiued them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night, for euer and euer

Note: This version had thousands of differences in two printings within the same year.

The Newberry Reference Bible, 1893
1. And these shall_go_away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal
2. And the devil that deceived them was_cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false_prophet are, and shall_be_tormented day and night forever and ever]
Margin of the Newberry KJV: the ages of the ages

Revised Version, 1881
1. And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life
2. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night* for ever and ever
*Footnotes in the Bible: Gr. unto the ages of the ages

American Standard Version
1. And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life
2. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.*
*Foot notes: Gr. unto the ages of the ages

The Riverside New Testament by Ballantine, 1934
1. These will go away into punishment eternal, but the righteous into life eternal
2. and the Devil who was misleading them was flung into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the Beast and the False Prophet, and they will be tormented day and night for the ages of the ages

Emphatic Diaglott, 1942 edition (Greek\English Interlinear)
1. And these shall go forth to the aionian 1cutting-off; but the RIGHTEOUS to aionian Life
2. And THAT ENEMY who deceived them was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE and Sulphur, where both the BEAST and FALSE-PROPHET [were cast,] and they will be tormented Day and Night for the AGES of the AGES

The New Covenant, 1884
1. And these shall go away into aeonian chastisement, and the just into aeonian life
2. And the accuser that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and sulphur, where both the beast and [the] false prophet [are], and they shall be tormented day and night to the aeons of the aeons

Young's Literal Translation of the Holy Bible, 1898
1. And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during
2. and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night-to the ages of the ages

The Holy Bible In Modern English (Fenton), 1903
1. And these He will dismiss into a long correction, but the well-doers to an enduring life.
2. And the Devil who deceived them was hurled into the lake of Divine fire, where also were the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tortured day and night through the ages of the ages.

New Testament in Modern Speech, 1910
1. And these shall go away into the Punishment 1of the Ages, but the righteous into the Life* of the Ages.[/SIZE]
2. and the Devil,** who had been leading them astray, was thrown into 3the Lake of fire and sulphur where the Wild Beast and the false Prophet were, and day and night they will suffer torture until the Ages of the Ages
*Footnote: *Of the Ages Greek 'aeonian.'

The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, 1976
1. And these shall go away into age-abiding *correction, but the righteous into **age-abiding life
2. And the Adversary that had been deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where were both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night unto the ages of ages

The Twentieth Century New Testament, 1900
1. And these last will go away 'into aeonian punishment,' but the righteous 'into aeonian life.'[/SIZE]
2. and the Devil, their deceiver, was hurled into the lake of fire and sulphur, where the Beast and the false Prophet already were, and they will be tortured day and night for ever and ever

The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, 1958
1. And these shall go away into agelasting cutting-off and the just into agelasting life
2. And the accuser, the one deceiving them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where both the wild beast and the false prophet were cast; and they will be tormented day and night for the ages of the ages

The Western New Testament, 1926
1. And these will go away into eternal punishment,* but the righteous into life eternal
2. And the devil, who deceiveth them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the wild beast and the false prophet; and they will be tormented day and night for evermore.
[Footnote: Or chastisement (I S. John iv.18). Ref. on word “forever” in Matthew 21:19-literally “for the age"

The New Testament, a Translation, 1938
1. And these shall go away into eonian correction, but the righteous into eonian life
2. And the devil who deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where are also the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night unto the ages of the ages.

Concordant Literal New Testament, 1983
1. And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian
2. And the Adversary who is deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and sulphur where the wild beast and where the false prophet are also. And they shall be tormented day and night for the eons of the eons.

Rotherham Emphasized Bible, 1959
1. And these shall go away into age-abiding correction, but the righteous into age-abiding life.
2. ...and the Adversary that had been deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [were] both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night unto the ages of ages.

The Companion Bible,1990 A King James Reference Bible
1. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment : but the righteous into life eternal
2. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever

Many reference in this Bible that Aion which means "age." Aionios-"of or belonging to an age."

http://www.tentmaker.org/

Many translations have the words "forever and ever" in Rev. 20:10 and many translations don't. Scholars disagree on how the Greek words "aion" and "aionios" should be translated. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-27-2007 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 PM

364 posts, read 765,966 times
ty for the info yes there alot of debate on how greek words should be translated but take the side forever that the lake of fire is forever.

just my view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality