Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM

51 posts, read 109,248 times

Advertisements

Nick:
Absolutely. Which is why I find it hilarious that Christians would get all offensive if a movie does not conform to their little view of the world. Well boo hoo. Sorry, but some parents would rather their children learn a different fairy tale then some man-god came on earth, born of a virgin, got killed, then like a zombie rose from the dead after 1 1/2 days, said some shouts out to his hommies, then flew off into outerspace like he was Niel Armstrong or something.

Cheers,

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
Clearly, [Mel Gibson's] main objective is to bash [Atheism]
and promote [Christianity].

Well, he is also entitled to believe as he wants too, just like EVERYONE else!!!
that is true, i wont deny, but i haven't seen many atheists or their ilk protesting that movie when it opened...

Old 12-24-2007, 06:17 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcopernicus View Post
Sounds like the [Jesus] trying sneak in the back door while no one is paying attention.
Here is an email I just received about it:

"[The Passion of the Christ]" is set to premier on [February 25, 2004],
Interesting series of statements right there.

Sounds like you need to contact your ISP if you're just now getting emails from 2004.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I'm a Christian. I do not wish to line the pocket of this author, so I will not be seeing the movie. However, what I probably will do is check his books out of the library and read them. I even may read them with my children (13 & 12). Why? Why would a Christian read such obviously anti-religious garbage?

Easy, to refute such anti-religious garbage. How can I give sound and reasonable responses to something I haven't read myself? I may make it a bible study lesson for my whole family so that we can be prepared to respond to those who question our faith. We know what we believe and why and reading these books won't change that. If anything, I'll point out why the author's underlying worldviews are wrong when compared with the word of God.

Bravo. It's refreshing to see a parent teaching her children to think critically.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 PM

364 posts, read 765,927 times
The reason christians are against this movie because a stand against god being real in way to attack another religion.

really would anyone like a movie to be about killing your god?

We should tell our view points not in personal attacks

it is one way to Impress your view but its another to do it in away in a basis way.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:21 PM

I just wish we all could impress our views without any basis etc..... IN a way it will may not agree with another but in a way it would seem not to attack another.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 22,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post
Same here.

If the movie promotes or glorifies atheism, so what? Aren't there hundreds of films promoting Christianity?
Yes and Christianity is RIGHT!!!!!! Atheism is NOT!!!!!!!! Atheism is the way to hell!!!!!! Satan's way of bringing kids and people to his domain because he is a fool!!!! i HATE how society today is so sinful and doesn't care about how their decisions affects others. Moderator cut: inflammatory comments

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-01-2008 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: removed comments

Old 12-27-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallnmighty543 View Post
Yes and Christianity is RIGHT!!!!!! Atheism is NOT!!!!!!!! Atheism is the way to hell!!!!!! Satan's way of bringing kids and people to his domain because he is a fool!!!! i HATE how society today is so sinful and doesn't care about how their decisions affects others.

wow as a christian my self I find this the perfect way to turn off people from christ The good old hell preach.

Not that the I do not believe in hell but have we word things is very important.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-01-2008 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallnmighty543 View Post
Yes and Christianity is RIGHT!!!!!! Atheism is NOT!!!!!!!! Atheism is the way to hell!!!!!! Satan's way of bringing kids and people to his domain because he is a fool!!!! i HATE how society today is so sinful and doesn't care about how their decisions affects others.
Speaking as an atheist, I find this outburst rather humurous. Thank you for explaining my reasoning for preferring hell over heaven with you, to the more moderate christians out there.

How can people hold such STRONG opinions on a film and book that they have never read? They are in fact just taking what someone else feeds them which of course is a dangerous thing to do. If you are that easily led then who knows there your headed.

I have just purchased the trilogy of books by this author, The Golden Compass is only the first. I look forward to reading it. If Satan carries me away while I am reading, I am sure you all will miss my witty reparte dearly but do please soldier on.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-01-2008 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 01-02-2008, 11:27 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
I saw the movie on NYEve. It is not overtly anti-religion but is overtly anti-authority as in anti-tyranny. The movie's story presents a serious concern with the regimentation of children's personalities and freedom of thought, which is also a common complaint against all religions by a person like the atheist Richard Dawkins.

I would not recommend this movie for young children. There are several fighting scenes, and a dueling polar bear has its jaw torn off. The child protagonist works her way through several life-threatening situations. The "back story" about the key characters and their intellectual concerns is very slowly revealed as the movie progresses and is not subject matter for a child.

I read one article in which the movie's director is interviewed, and he says that if sequels to "The Golden Compass" are filmed, the overt anti-religion stance found in the 2nd and 3rd books of the trilogy *will* be written into those sequels.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 01-02-2008 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality