Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:59 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times

Advertisements

I just got back from seeing it and I couldn't find anything a person could interpret at being atheistic. Some aspects of it I thought could interpreted as anti-government and anti-organized religion, but not atheist. I thought it was a great movie, too, aside from the last few lines which I just thought were cheesy and contrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Their response is all about censorship in an attempt to make sure no one hears there are other ways to live your life.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
The two Golden Compass threads have been merged, and put into the general R&P forum... hopefully this is the last one on this movie (we've had a few others)!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
This, at the end, seems to deal with a false god who tries to take credit for the creation of the universe.
Frankly, there have been Christian movements, through the ages, which have attempted to dissassociate Christianity and its doctrine of love and turning the other cheek, etc,
from the angry, vengeful, Old Testiment God.
This is nothing new, and not really anti spiritual. It may be anti-dogma of certain religions, but so what.
All the publicity that outraged religious groups have given these books have really increased sales. I suspect that the author has fed into the frenzy with some of his comments.
If Christians could not be counted upon to act as they do, then they would not be so easily manipulated to increase the popularity of such things.
All my local libraries have them out so I will place a back order for one copy.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:27 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,789 times
I am baffled by why anyone would be so threatened by any movie coming from a religious/spiritual standpoint that isn't theirs. How many hundreds of religions are there in the world? What are you so afraid of? Really, look deep inside, what is causing the threat/fear? Are you afraid you don't have it right? Are you afraid your belief system will disappear?

How would you react if a Jewish person had written this movie? Isn't the Christian bible very intolerant of Jews?

I have sat through many movies from differing religious perspectives and found them interesting, not threatening.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
I guess it is more that majorities are always, and will always be, afraid of the deviant minority and / or individual.
Remember Rock & Roll, the so called devil’s music?
The good old days.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Thank you to some posters for providing me with much needed hysterical laughter this morning. I had to laugh or the tears of frustration would have taken over. I am amazed how afraid some people seem to be of any one who thinks and believe differently. It seems such a sad way to live your life. If there is a god I am sure he can take a few atheist movies and I only wish parents were intellectually honest to let their children make their own minds up. Strangely enough kids can actually think for themselves. Also as naturally curious little creatures they will whether Mommy or Daddy "bans" them from seeing/reading anything remotely controversial find out about these things and hopefully realise the tragic lack of "openess" from their progenitors.

I was exposed to religion and other philosophies from an early age and I made my own path. I just hope some people's kids will have the intellectual curiosity to challenge and question the received wisdom of indoctrination. Faith is supposed to be a personal thing, a deeply spiritual connection with the divine and to me trying to eradicate any "other" thoughts from your kids is just really pathetic, counter-productive and futile. Faith is not supposed to be the regurgitation of imposed beliefs by parents.

The Golden Compass is a well, written book a good , fun and entertaining movie and if it does have aspects of atheism about it, it hardly makes it something whose corrupting influence one should be terrified of and a horror to shield your kids from.

I find it utterly bemusing and ultimately tragic that parents cannot even communicate with their kids to explain that some people ( like Philip Pullman) do not believe in God. State is a fact not as some kind of a crime to be punished for. That all of us as humans have our own minds, consciences and the right to believe what we want to .

Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Now that gizmo980 has merged two threads, I am not prepared to read through it again, but I do wonder how many against the film and the book(s), and are Christian, have read it, or are you relying solely on hearsay evidence?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Saw it last night.. my view:

Good movie.. not great. Cinema experience is pretty fantastic. The polar bear fight is worth the price of admission.

Beyond that I found it to rail against a church (or religious authority) that seeks to root out free will.

For those who worry about kids becoming atheist... trust me.. they were more concerned with texting and being disruptive during the movie than anything else.

I now feel old for even typing that..

Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 AM

638 posts, read 2,280,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Saw it last night.. my view:

Good movie.. not great. Cinema experience is pretty fantastic. The polar bear fight is worth the price of admission.

Beyond that I found it to rail against a church (or religious authority) that seeks to root out free will.

For those who worry about kids becoming atheist... trust me.. they were more concerned with texting and being disruptive during the movie than anything else.

I now feel old for even typing that..
I felt old snickering about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality