Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Bible, of course. When you read the others it's clear they are just the mindless babblings of madmen and scribes.
LOL!

Good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post

it is very simple
if you believe in the god then you would believe these thing because he is the one who is performing it and not the person.
This is incorrect. Even if there were a G()D-type being, this would not mean that the stories are true.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Our evidence is how easy it is to debunk religious claims. I mean, it's so simple that most of it takes only rudimentary logic skills and the briefest thought before the ridiculousness of it all is made manifest.
So that's not an evidence or proof - you simply have an opinion.
Believers still have a book, and Atheist don't.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What do atheists have then?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:

Atheists, and many theists, don't need no steenkin' book to prop up their beliefs, or lack of.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Logic is logic. Unless of course you're willing to admit that your religion is illogical ... which it is. The rest of the universe is logical. Then we come to religion and suddenly, logic flies out the window. At that point, we're supposed to not simply believe in something that makes absolutely no sense, we're supposed to embrace it, make it our number one priority, make it who we are, make it what we live for.

And so what if you have a book. People who play Dungeons and Dragons have a book, too. In fact, they have lots of books. Does that mean dragons are real and people actually spend their time exploring old ruins, battling legendary monsters, and emerging with tons of gold and magical items? Perhaps they do in your world, but I've yet to see it in action. I've yet to see Wolf Blitzer telling us on CNN how another adventuring party met its doom trying to clear out the Temple of Elemental Evil of its rampaging monsters. Nope. I guess having a book hasn't done much for D&D players, eh?

But when it comes to religion; when it comes to fantastical stories told thousands of years ago by ignorant shepherds who had no scientific knowledge whatsoever, we're just supposed to believe it without question. Why? Because a god is involved. Another angry, ego-driven, narcissistic, worship-me-or-suffer-the-consequences god. And your god is exactly like all the other gods. There's nothing truly special about him when compared to the long line of gods which were invented before Yahweh. We're supposed to believe in all kinds of magical tales - including legendary monsters like angels and demons, magical items like the Ark of the Covenant, the mysterious manna machine, and the Horn of Jericho; we're supposed to believe in a bunch of non-corroborated supernatural events like virgin births, parting of seas, the plagues of Egypt, etc. Heh, religion is starting to sound more and more like a D&D adventure.

And they have a book, too.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:48 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
The Bible, of course. When you read the others it's clear they are just the mindless babblings of madmen and scribes.
You just made Shirina's point.

You can easily see that the other guy's holy book is the mindless babblings of madmen, but you can't see that your own holy book is the mindless babblings of madmen.

I also think Upton Sinclair's famous quote applies here, since you are a preacher: "it is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon him not understanding it."

Old 05-25-2015, 04:29 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
chicken/egg gotta start somewhere

i am not religious nor am i an atheist

humans, earth, space and other things we dont even know about dont just exist

there has to be something "above" human beings, humans are very limited, we have no ability to do anything spectacular, cant fly, cant teleport (i'm not being funny here...) just making a point that we cant do anything great really. no way we can be the end all be all considering how lame we are in general

we know how human life is currently created

imo, it is more believable to think that a higher being w/o the limits of humans *created* us vs. humans or any form of life or whatever just existed because of a random explosion (btw, i never heard of an explosion ever that has created life, they tend to take life)

there are smart people that exist or people with abilities slightly better that your average human, so whos to say that there arent beings that are even more intelligent than the smartest people we know and whos to say there arent abilities that exist beyond what we consider great talents/abilities

do you all see what im getting at?

god thing aside, i actually want to know what else is out there, why would it stop at just planet earth and humans having dominion here

Old 05-25-2015, 09:05 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You just made Shirina's point.

You can easily see that the other guy's holy book is the mindless babblings of madmen, but you can't see that your own holy book is the mindless babblings of madmen.

I also think Upton Sinclair's famous quote applies here, since you are a preacher: "it is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon him not understanding it."

here the bible proclaim that prophet David peace be upon him who is supposed to teach the noble manners and virtue, but the bible describe him as a Traitor and a deceiver and a killer!!!!???
It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking on the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful.
And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, “Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?”
So David sent messengers and took her, and she came to him, and he lay with her. (Now she had been purifying herself from her uncleanness.) Then she returned to her house.
And the woman conceived, and she sent and told David, “I am pregnant.”

it realy enough for us to know that the bible is corrupted when the Quran said so.
but also any one with typical independent heart and brain can see that .

here is another disaster in the bible
The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father.
Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.”
So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him.
Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.
So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father.

.................................................. .................................................. ................................and there are more

Old 05-25-2015, 11:50 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
here the bible proclaim that prophet David peace be upon him who is supposed to teach the noble manners and virtue, but the bible describe him as a Traitor and a deceiver and a killer!!!!???
It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking on the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful.
And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, “Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?”
So David sent messengers and took her, and she came to him, and he lay with her. (Now she had been purifying herself from her uncleanness.) Then she returned to her house.
And the woman conceived, and she sent and told David, “I am pregnant.”

it realy enough for us to know that the bible is corrupted when the Quran said so.
but also any one with typical independent heart and brain can see that .

here is another disaster in the bible
The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father.
Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.”
So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him.
Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.
So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father.

.................................................. .................................................. ................................and there are more
But the Koran even says that the Bible should be used to confirm what Muhammad states. If this is the case, why would Allah suggest using a corrupt book to confirm what Muhammad says?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality