Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,968,730 times

Advertisements

God gave up his only son for us. But because he is God he must have known that his son would be with him, at his right hand, even after all his suffering on the cross. Please explain this sacrifice.

I know that we are all supposed to meet again in the afterlife, but somehow it doesn't seem to compare that we spend the remainder of our lives with a tremendous loss - for many decades - without the solace that God must have had knowing his son would be only with him in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
Remember that many believe that Jesus was not a son in the same way that people have sons. To those that believe and teach the Trinity, Jesus was God in earthly form, not a separate individual son.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Remember that many believe that Jesus was not a son in the same way that people have sons. To those that believe and teach the Trinity, Jesus was God in earthly form, not a separate individual son.
If Jesus, then, was God in earthly form, why use the example, then, that he gave his only begotten son to us? In either case, whether Jesus is separate or is God in another form, what sacrifice was made?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,436,657 times
Yes, it is mumbo-jumbo, isn't it?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
It makes you wonder how they come up with all the different explanations, doesn't it!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,542,407 times
There were three personages,but only one God. Jesus came to Earth in the form of a man and the blood that was shed to take sins away from man,this was the sacrifice(dying on the cross) that was made that whosever believeth in Him shall have everlasting life.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 11 days ago)

14,465 posts, read 9,528,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
If Jesus, then, was God in earthly form, why use the example, then, that he gave his only begotten son to us? In either case, whether Jesus is separate or is God in another form, what sacrifice was made?
A two fold question...

Quote:
If Jesus, then, was God in earthly form, why use the example, then, that he gave his only begotten son to us?
Philippians 2:6 These verses make it clear that he is God, and that he set aside the use of some of his attributes to take on the form of the human, and die for the sins of the world. Of course, one must regard the Bible as the inspired word of God.

The word begotten means generated from in Greek. Here is explanational text:Perhaps the language can be better understood if contrasted with synonyms. Take the verbs “make,” “create,” and “beget.” The verb “make” is general; one can make dinner, clothes, a house, or any other product. The “create” can have the same objects, but usually elevates the act to an art: one creates a masterpiece, or a work of art, or a symphony. While these creations bear the imprint of the creator, they do not share his nature. But “beget” is different. You can only beget a child that has the same nature as you have--a son or a daughter. There is nothing else you can beget (unless you were speaking very figuratively). Your son or your daughter will inherit his or her nature from you--genes, personality--all of it. You can use “make” or “create” for producing a child; but when you use “beget” it only means you produce a child that has your nature.

The key word is nature. Now follow this carefully. If Jesus is said to be the begotten Son of God (using the figure from human language to make the point), then Jesus has the same nature as the Father. If Jesus has the same nature as God the Father, then Jesus is divine and eternal as well. If he is eternally God, then there was never a time he was literally begotten--which is why we know the language is figurative to describe his nature, and not his beginning. To call Jesus “the only begotten Son” means that he is fully divine and eternal. He is God the Son.

Quote:
In either case, whether Jesus is separate or is God in another form, what sacrifice was made?
The sacrifice is: the God man shedding His blood for our salvation. Most of us have heard this. But if I'm not mistaken you reach further into the realm of "why". This is not an easy concept to grasp simply unto itself. However within the context of scripture it is easier to faithfully believe.
Pure sacrifice is from only one source.... love. God had said, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul” (Leviticus 17:11) “. . . and without shedding of blood is no remission” (Hebrews 9:22).

Therefore the sacrifice had to be "of blood" of the lamb (Jesus) who was pure and perfect. God in man form, who was and is the very nature of God.

Without faith this becomes a mere explanation... I do not contest that fact. The Atonement of Christ however is at the very centrality of Christian belief, of which the new covenant rest upon. Without the Holy Spirit this becomes mere words as many here have stated. There is no fault in anyone who struggles with this conceptionally, but by faith we accept this as truth.

I hope I didn't add more to the confusion... I'm perfectly capable of doing that!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 AM

[Thanks all for taking the time to answer my question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality