Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
...snip...Sorry if this sounds trite but creationism in the US is a great source of mockery in the UK. Nobody believes in a literal interpretation there.
Until I moved here I thought people who still believed this stuff were a tiny minority group of the magnitude of the Westboro Baptist church, something like that. It is shocking to find how many people do actually believe this stuff. I don't mean to sound disdainful, but that's the truth.
Seriously, something needs to change.
I'm happy to say very few Canucks buy into the YEC-thing. For the most part, we're fond of our southern neighbour but must shake our heads at some of the stuff many of them espouse.

I'm quite certain though, that YECs are a reasonably small sub-set of Christians, overall - even in the US of A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I'm quite certain though, that YECs are a reasonably small sub-set of Christians, overall - even in the US of A.
Unfortunately not according to Gallup:

46% Americans Believe In Creationism According To Latest Gallup Poll

Old 09-24-2013, 03:52 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
Why don't we ban all religious teachings and worship for children throughout the world until a child reaches the age of about 18. Instead of brainwashing children teach them facts and let them decide which road to take when then are old enough to make a wise decision.

I firmly believe that all religious groups are afraid that if children were not brainwashed then the churches, mosques, synagogues, etc., would soon be empty.

Faith -strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof. There is proof of evolution and only one word needed to sum it up. Fossils.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Creationism is not a Christian belief. It is a Fundamentalist belief based on a literal reading of the Bible. Given that large swaths of Christianity from the Catholics to the Anglicans/Episcopalians to the Methodist have no problem with evolution, what you are really doing is according one particular school of thought within Christianity equal time with the large body of scientific evidence.
Creation IS a Christian belief, as all Christians believe in it in one form or another....Have you never heard of theistic creation?....That is not to say that all Christians do not believe in evolution, but evolution and the beginning of life are two different things.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Actually accoding to that poll only 15% of Americans DO NOT believe in creation..The poll says that 46% believe god created humans in their present form and 32% believe that god created humans, but guided their evolution....Pretty sad in this the year 2013.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why don't we ban all religious teachings and worship for children throughout the world until a child reaches the age of about 18. Instead of brainwashing children teach them facts and let them decide which road to take when then are old enough to make a wise decision.
Great idea.

Quote:
I firmly believe that all religious groups are afraid that if children were not brainwashed then the churches, mosques, synagogues, etc., would soon be empty.
Exactly...All cults and religions depend on programming, and the younger the victim the better it sticks. Fortunately some few of us seem to be immune to brainwashing, and for the life of me, I have no idea why it works with anyone

Quote:
Faith -strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof. There is proof of evolution and only one word needed to sum it up. Fossils.
I do not understand why, but obviously many prefer fantasy over reality and simply dismiss any evidence for that which they prefer not to believe.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yikes!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually accoding to that poll only 15% of Americans DO NOT believe in creation..The poll says that 46% believe god created humans in their present form and 32% believe that god created humans, but guided their evolution....Pretty sad in this the year 2013.
It flat-out baffles me that a nation which - quite rightfully - prides itself on technological innovation and forward-thinking, is so backwards spiritually.

ETA: And scientifically. At least in the basic, high-school textbook kind of scientific knowledge.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default It was obviously God who aided in those moon landings and now, The Mars Rover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

Well said donsabi! You have it pegged though: to let the children decide when they are at least moderately and intellectually matured, is to lose all that Golden Opp to brainwash them with fear-mongering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup. to think that... well, as TD says here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It flat-out baffles me that a nation which - quite rightfully - prides itself on technological innovation and forward-thinking, is so backwards spiritually.

ETA: And scientifically. At least in the basic, high-school textbook kind of scientific knowledge.
Yep: we're the only culture and high-tech society to have the technological ability to land on the moon and return our guys, first time out. But to also acknowledge God's necessary participation? Ugly idea!

(But still noting that the atheist Russians would have hard-crashed their lunar explorer astronauts with at least two or three attempts and finally have them survive for at least a few hours post-impact... And then, when they got that part right, would likely still have to abandon their first surviving men there permanently, after a mere hour or two of their barely survivable and horrific post-impact lifes... in the "management's" egotistical rush to show us Yankees up... )

(Oh btw, sanspeur, I ]'m not forgetting the v. useful and durable Canadarm design! Good stuff!

But as for getting us there safely, to the lunar surface, and also carrying with it an undamaged craft capable of safely returning the explorers in a completely 100% operable lunar escape module? Not just the very scary first time, but several times later!

God had no part in it.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
But as for getting us there safely, to the lunar surface, and also carrying with it an undamaged craft capable of safely returning the explorers in a completely 100% operable lunar escape module? Not just the very scary first time, but several times later!

God had no part in it.
"Lucky for us for us engineers are not biologist or theoretical physicist."

Signed Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality