Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I guess Im lost on the trickery and bribery part..I honestly have never known of anyone deciding to follow Christ thru bribery.
Im probably guilty of "trickery"..by the definition that some would use, but I dont think one could trick anyone one into accepting Christ if they didnt want too. If someone tells me that arent interested, I dont push the issue.
Well kudos to you arguy, sounds like you know when to stop.

Unfortunately, I have both been tricked and bribed by so-called "christians" before. Granted, its not an example of all Christians but just pointing out it definitely exists.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I have to agree with you on the last part..I have never ever agreed with people standing on the street corner yelling at people telling them they are going to hell..Did you see the sign in Memphis on Millbranch?? For some reason the sign about heaven and hell made me think about what message that sign was sending.
No, I don't head that way often. What did it say? I know they recently had a large COGIC convention here, I assume it had something to do with that?

Edit: Although I do have to say that I have seen some black billboards with a witty comment signed by "God". They really are quite funny, and I suppose that is the point. I wish I could remember what they said.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
No, I don't head that way often. What did it say? I know they recently had a large COGIC convention here, I assume it had something to do with that?

Edit: Although I do have to say that I have seen some black billboards with a witty comment signed by "God". They really are quite funny, and I suppose that is the point. I wish I could remember what they said.
the sign may have been by them (COGIC) idk, It says something like "if you dont choose heaven your choosing hell.." or something like that..
Im more of a "people wont care what you know until they know you care" mentality person.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:25 AM

122 posts, read 347,068 times
Methinks there are "good" Christians, with strong ethics, who respect other people, and there are "not-so-good" Christians, who believe the end justifies the means. Just like there are "good" Buddhists and "not-so-good" Buddhists ( and yes I know Buddhists generally don't do some of the stuff that some Christians do ). And "good" people who like pumpkins, and "not-so-good" people who like pumpkins.

In my opinion, this ( OP ) is not about Christian deception. It is about some people, who happen to consider themselves Christian, ( maybe ) doing what they believe is right, when some of us don't think it is right to either intrude or to use deceptive means in witnessing to others.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
If an atheist organization decided to spread their message in a similar manner by going door to door and passing out pamphlets I suspect the local media would be notified and reporters for newspapers and television stations would be interviewing outraged Christians who believed that a group of atheists were attempting to poison the minds of local citizens.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bels7 View Post
Methinks there are "good" Christians, with strong ethics, who respect other people, and there are "not-so-good" Christians, who believe the end justifies the means. Just like there are "good" Buddhists and "not-so-good" Buddhists ( and yes I know Buddhists generally don't do some of the stuff that some Christians do ). And "good" people who like pumpkins, and "not-so-good" people who like pumpkins.

In my opinion, this ( OP ) is not about Christian deception. It is about some people, who happen to consider themselves Christian, ( maybe ) doing what they believe is right, when some of us don't think it is right to either intrude or to use deceptive means in witnessing to others.
if I could haul a barrel of rep over to your house and dump it on your head, I would.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
if I could haul a barrel of rep over to your house and dump it on your head, I would.
I dont know about a "whole" barrell...but pretty close-lol. Good post bels7!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,168,522 times
I think last time i had visitors at my house was about 3 years ago. Then i got 2 german shepherds..... Go figure

Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I think last time i had visitors at my house was about 3 years ago. Then i got 2 german shepherds..... Go figure
I love german shepards!!..

Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,894 times
What a difference 40-50 years makes. When I was growing up, people responded politely when folks came to their doors to sell or show them something. A simple no thanks was generally the norm. I can see here that times have definitely changed. What a shame. Oh well folks, have a nice day and God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality