U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:47 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,328,260 times

Advertisements

here is i think a fabulous idea: on a previous thread the op was speaking of religious people coming to her door/invading her privacy/selling religion and i think that instead of religious people bothering families at their homes or while they are out shopping that instead a great and commendable thing to do would be for them to go downtown and spread their love of jesus to the crack addicts or homeless or to women and children at a shelter or to people in jail/prison. i say this because these are the groups of people that might appreciate and need it more than otherwise normal families who are most probably perfectly happy and comfortable with their own beliefs and lifestyles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,852,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
here is i think a fabulous idea: on a previous thread the op was speaking of religious people coming to her door/invading her privacy/selling religion and i think that instead of religious people bothering families at their homes or while they are out shopping that instead a great and commendable thing to do would be for them to go downtown and spread their love of jesus to the crack addicts or homeless or to women and children at a shelter or to people in jail/prison. i say this because these are the groups of people that might appreciate and need it more than otherwise normal families who are most probably perfectly happy and comfortable with their own beliefs and lifestyles.
They already have the monopoly on that too.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:00 PM

51 posts, read 154,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
They already have the monopoly on that too.
This is my first post here, so have patience with me, please. I so don't want to respond to the wrong part of anything.

By a quick glance at who, what, where, when, I believe the "they" are the religious people bothering families at their homes or while they are out shopping, not the crack addicts, the homeless, the women and children at a shelter or the people in jail/prison.

That leaves me asking: What is the "that" that they have the monoploy on?

Last edited by DarlaLogan; 11-17-2007 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: punctuation ... the bane of my existence

Old 11-17-2007, 04:46 PM

7,360 posts, read 18,248,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
I don't think they want to be bothered either.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM

613 posts, read 1,224,402 times
ive smoked crack before..and been around crack heads......the onlything a crack head cares about is crack...honestly its the truth...unless god can give them crack everytime they want it(100% of their life)...they don't care...most of them are completely content with their life and addiction to the drug they love..they might let someone go on about jesus to them..but all they are thinking about is ..is there anyway i can get money off this person..or can i robb them..if they realize your not going to give them money or you are unable to be robbed or help them in anyway to get crack..theyll walk away from you and continue on their search for crack..maybe sometime something will happen thatll turn em away from it..but..thats not someone giving them jesus pamphlets...as for the homeless and that incarcerated ...i doubt they want to hear about it either...some might......the only people that i think would appreciate it ...are the people on death row

Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,642,779 times
There are plenty of people that do exactly this. However, it does take a brave and bold soul to do so.

If you are interested, you can click on this link and watch some of what they do. Especially watch the first one where he is witnessing to gang members.

The Way of the Master

Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 AM

613 posts, read 1,224,402 times
hahahahah that guy....i would have a few ways as to go about these questions ..i watch their show for laughs sometimes...and those aren't gangster just some shirtless latinos who live on the street an they knew about jesus..and already believed in him and what that dude was saying...or atleast gave authority to the bible

Old 11-18-2007, 12:28 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,642,779 times
I agree...but it's still somewhat entertaining.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:38 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,328,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I don't think they want to be bothered either.
yes but they are the ones who NEED to be bothered. Normal decent people who are contributing members of society (even though they may not go to church) dont NEED to be bothered.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:43 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,852,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlaLogan View Post
This is my first post here, so have patience with me, please. I so don't want to respond to the wrong part of anything.

By a quick glance at who, what, where, when, I believe the "they" are the religious people bothering families at their homes or while they are out shopping, not the crack addicts, the homeless, the women and children at a shelter or the people in jail/prison.

That leaves me asking: What is the "that" that they have the monoploy on?
Soup kitchens, addiction and recovery centers, and jails have so many "Christian-based" projects it's unbelievable. For me, although I think it's a great thing helping people that are less fortunate, I have a hard time distinguishing between those that are there to truly help and the guy knocking on my door on Sundays to get me to convert. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm sure there are some truly genuine people who are doing what they are doing because they really want to help. On the other hand, one can never tell if they are doing it to reach out or doing it to reach out and spread the word. I'm sure there's both. Not to mention, I find it wholly selfish if those who are doing it are doing it because they are 'Christians' and believe they have to do it to be better Christians. To me, there is a difference between the person who does it to truly help, and the person who does it to be a better Christian. Why? Because the person doing it to be a better Christian is doing it out of his/her own selfish notion that by doing these things they have a better shot at heaven.

Likewise, and not to merge two threads, but I often wonder if the people knocking on my door are doing it because THEY care about ME or if THEY care about THEMSELVES?

For some reason, it gives me the impression that people hide behind a mask of care and love to show you how wonderful it is to be a part of their faith. Don't you want to join my loving and caring faith? Don't you want to help the needy? Don't you want to do good things for people? Of course you do, and if you do it than you have a better shot at heaven.

Let's face it. I have often heard the only thing a person needs is to accept that Jesus died for our sins on the cross and that you believe in him. That, to me, is the premise of Christianity. So why all the extras? It seems no different to me than the brown noser at work who tries to get in good with the manager. All Christians want out of non-believers is for them to accept Jesus. That's their premise for conversions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality