Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times

Advertisements

My thesis?

Do you remember post #34? Just admit you were wrong.

How can I attempt to explain spiritualism to you when you are not aware animals/life-forms reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So stupid, so backwards and ignorant that we need saviors, masters, avatars, teachers
sent to this 3rd Dimension to leave breadcrumbs for us to find our way Home?

Whassup with that?

It's like saying: why can't babies know everything? Why can't they take care of themselves? Why do children need parents and teachers?

Because we do not know the answers... that's why. We have to find them. Teachers and such are the people who already discovered some of the answers. And we hope they could share with us.

But as someone said: often it's too hard to share the insights... people just won't get it unless they experience and learn it themselves through experience

Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,161,612 times
Quote:
So stupid, so backwards and ignorant that we need saviors, masters, avatars, teachers sent to this 3rd Dimension to leave breadcrumbs for us to find our way Home?

Whassup with that?
Well, some people are spiritual seekers and those who are sincerely searching will find the truth... where did we come from, why are we here, and where are we going?

Not sure if it was you... but a person with the same name... checked out the truth for all people website and then disappeared.

When I tell people that I know the real Truth, they refuse to believe. Same goes for the higher spirits in the next world when they share with lower spirits that God's Divine Love is the prerequisite for salvation.

Beliefs aren't easily changed because of God's gift to us of our free will.

But as Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find."

Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
So stupid, so backwards and ignorant that we need saviors, masters, avatars, teachers
sent to this 3rd Dimension to leave breadcrumbs for us to find our way Home?

Whassup with that?
I think it's the other way around. Because we felt lost and ignorant (and realized there were things we could nowhere near understand), we created the mythology that there are gods.

The teachers, avatars and "masters" followed, and of course, a savior or two which amply upped the drama, and everyone knows that heightened emotion makes things seem more real. One could be highly respected if the people in general believed he or she had some sort of spiritual "in." That's only natural. Of course "masters" and "teachers" appeared. Generally, they'll tell you, warmly, that you are just somehow doing something wrong and that's why you're not enlightened too.

But because these gods and mythological creatures don't exist (certainly not in a literal or anthropomorphic way), of course we're just chasing shadows, and chasing our tails. We're not "too spiritually stupid" to find them. They just aren't there. A person isn't a failure for not finding something that doesn't exist.

A few people (actually, a lot of people) are able to get immersed enough in the cultural mythology that they can "feel something," kind of - again, just IMO - like when kids are trying to scare one another and suddenly they hear all sorts of creaking, groaning and rattling going on in the house. Gather a group, and that's intensified and the effect grows.

I'm not trying to be cynical. This is just how I see it.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM

63,802 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think it's the other way around. Because we felt lost and ignorant (and realized there were things we could nowhere near understand), we created the mythology that there are gods.
The teachers, avatars and "masters" followed, and of course, a savior or two which amply upped the drama, and everyone knows that heightened emotion makes things seem more real. One could be highly respected if the people in general believed he or she had some sort of spiritual "in." That's only natural. Of course "masters" and "teachers" appeared. Generally, they'll tell you, warmly, that you are just somehow doing something wrong and that's why you're not enlightened too.
But because these gods and mythological creatures don't exist (certainly not in a literal or anthropomorphic way), of course we're just chasing shadows, and chasing our tails. We're not "too spiritually stupid" to find them. They just aren't there. A person isn't a failure for not finding something that doesn't exist.
A few people (actually, a lot of people) are able to get immersed enough in the cultural mythology that they can "feel something," kind of - again, just IMO - like when kids are trying to scare one another and suddenly they hear all sorts of creaking, groaning and rattling going on in the house. Gather a group, and that's intensified and the effect grows.
I'm not trying to be cynical. This is just how I see it.
Your attitude is mainstream skeptic . . . not cynicism, JerZ. I was an adherent of it for 30+ years. As an atheist I had no intention of finding something that doesn't exist. I was looking for the opposite . . . the Nirvana expected in Buddhism. Finding God was not only completely unexpected but completely unnerving (and unmistakable). My atheism vanished in an instant. "What's past is prologue" . . . hence my current avid theism.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your attitude is mainstream skeptic . . . not cynicism, JerZ. I was an adherent of it for 30+ years. As an atheist I had no intention of finding something that doesn't exist. I was looking for the opposite . . . the Nirvana expected in Buddhism. Finding God was not only completely unexpected but completely unnerving (and unmistakable). My atheism vanished in an instant. "What's past is prologue" . . . hence my current avid theism.
You do like your labels, Mystic. That's okay if they make you feel comfortable. And I really mean that; we as humans try to understand things from our own personal PsOV. I personally don't believe every person can be compartmentalized. That's just me.

Nor am I "an adherent." I believe what I believe, and I do not believe what I do not believe...no matter what anyone says...religious, "mainstream skeptic," flat-out atheism or anything in between.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:04 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
why are we so spiritually stupid; as a spiritual elder I can say that there are very few who even know or could even comprehend what spirituality is, there are those who think they know what it is, but they don't, they are only guessing and guessing badly at that. Unless you grew up in the cultural of spirituality and have lived it all your life,you'll never really get to understand it.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 PM

63,802 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You do like your labels, Mystic. That's okay if they make you feel comfortable. And I really mean that; we as humans try to understand things from our own personal PsOV. I personally don't believe every person can be compartmentalized. That's just me.
Nor am I "an adherent." I believe what I believe, and I do not believe what I do not believe...no matter what anyone says...religious, "mainstream skeptic," flat-out atheism or anything in between.
I referred ONLY to your attitude as expressed in the posts . . . NOT to you, JerZ. You strike me personally as a free thinker.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I referred ONLY to your attitude as expressed in the posts . . . NOT to you, JerZ. You strike me personally as a free thinker.
Well, thank you for that kindly comment, Mystic.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:31 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Quote:
Unless you grew up in the cultural of spirituality and have lived it all your life,you'll never really get to understand it.

Interesting point. And I understand it through and through. On the other hand, I'll just say it can hit anybody anywhere anytime. Like Lotto, hey you never know!

On another note, I did see 'All is Lost', the film with Robert Redford where he's alone on the ocean dealing with successive events that lead him to catastrophe. The lack of overt spirituality in his character under the circumstances is fascinating. Not sure if it existed at all. And if there was perhaps a God in his universe that God would only hear a roaring f**k despondently enunciated throughout the great wide expanse of the impersonal ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality