Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,957,816 times

Advertisements

How To Remain Christian - YouTube

further reading

The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts Paperback
by Neil Asher Silberman (Author), Israel Finkelstein (Author)

The Gilgamesh Epic and Old Testament Parallels (Phoenix Books) Paperback
by Alexander Heidel

The Babylonian Genesis: The Story of Creation [Paperback]
Alexander Heidel (Author)

Bible Myths And Their Parallels In Other Religions: Being A Comparison Of The Old And New Testament Myths And Miracles With Those Of Heathen Nations ... Considering Also Their Origin And Meaning Paperback
by T. W. Doane (Author)

The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? Paperback

The Pagan Christ: Recovering the Lost Light [Kindle Edition]

Jesus as the Sun throughout History [Kindle Edition]
D.M. Murdock (Author), Acharya S (Author)

Christianity Before Christ Paperback
by John G. Jackson

Who Wrote the New Testament?: The Making of the Christian Myth Paperback
by Burton L. Mack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,575,111 times
This is the same old stuff that has been circulating on the internet for years. It fell flat 10 years ago and still does now. As it is written: if it posted on the internet (or back in the day-written in an article.), it must be true.

Tell me something new that is definitive. The Jesus as Sun is especially poorly cobbled.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-23-2014 at 03:12 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times
Now you have me interested... I'll tell you fairly whether I think it is

a) old hat

b) falls flat.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,957,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This is the same old stuff that has been circulating on the internet for years. It fell flat 10 years ago and still does now. As it is written: if it posted on the internet (or back in the day-written in an article.), it must be true.

Tell me something new that is definitive. The Jesus as Sun is especially poorly cobbled.

did you look at the list of books under "further reading"?

Jesus is similar to previous sun gods. do a comparative religion research, research older pre-christian religions and deities

Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Now you have me interested... I'll tell you fairly whether I think it is

a) old hat

b) falls flat.
-----

-----

The coincidence of some genesis stories to the Mesopotamian ones is still a valid point. Being venerable does not mean obsolete. Same for the exodus and flood. More relevant now than ever.

The Atenist monotheism, is interesting, but I think not too relevant to Jewish monotheism, which I think comes from another origin - as indicated by recent archaeology.

The derivation of Christian festivals is not really an objection to Christianity but is worth noting - Christmas trees are nothing to do with Jesus. If the Fundies knew how pagan they were THEY would be banning them, not just replacing the Pagan fairy with a tinselly star of David..

The references to similar figures in other religions may be overdone, but it is always worth looking at. The Chinese whispers and man made Bible and the copying is more relevant to the Gospels than the OT. The point about Jesus being a Jewish prophet and the points about the later theology of the trinity are all as valid now as when first noted.

And the last point - the second most common cause of deconversion is - reading the Bible.

That the gospels were not actually written by the persons named is not a big deal - though some do see that as a thing to believe, but the contradictions are very relevant, though of course the believers would like to argue that they are all long explained. And mostly they are - if you can swallow far -fetched explanations and rewriting and even rearranging the Bible.

None of this falls as flat as you wish to believe, Mr 5150. This is a valid video and brushing it aside as you do, only endorses what that very cute lady says - if you want to keep your faith - don't read the Bible, if you can avoid it; and whatever else you do, don't research Jesus. Ayah-meyn!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

And the last point - the second most common cause of deconversion is - reading the Bible.

That the gospels were not actually written by the persons named is not a big deal - though some do see that as a thing to believe, but the contradictions are very relevant, though of course the believers would like to argue that they are all long explained. And mostly they are - if you can swallow far -fetched explanations and rewriting and even rearranging the Bible.

None of this falls as flat as you wish to believe, Mr 5150. This is a valid video and brushing it aside as you do, only endorses what that very cute lady says - if you want to keep your faith - don't read the Bible, if you can avoid it; and whatever else you do, don't research Jesus. Ayah-meyn!
We pass out Bibles to bring people to Christ. Rather effective. Ever hear of the Gideon's? They do the same. Been around for a 100 years.

I find it curious that people post that reading the Bible causes deconversions. Does not work that way in my neck of the woods. Question: if reading the Bible causes deconversions, why do evangelical churches pass out Bibles? We have Bible study groups and our church grows-over 400 attend each Sunday.

Everyone knows Xmas trees are a pagan symbol of eternal life. Ever looked into the origin of the Yule log? Easter bunnies and eggs, pagan symbols of spring. Not very news worthy, friend

And for your viewing pleasure a video (I found it laughable from a theological perspective).

Sun of God? - YouTube

Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 AM

217 posts, read 146,966 times
Default Bible Study

Mr 150,
As someone who, like you, has held Bible studies, you and I both know we pick a specific part of the Bible and do not actually go through the whole Bible. Also, most studies tend to ignore modern scholarship. And few Christians actually read the whole Bible. People still like being told what to read and then how they should interpret from their leader, not on their own.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM

Well, yes. As I said, this sort of stuff can be overdone. I think it is quite likely that some of the the characteristics of Jesus were derived from pagan religions. The 12 disciples might be a coincidence. Maybe not. But that the birth -date was placed on 25th dec and that Jesus originally was depicted as Helios is no coincidence. Constantine identified with the sun -god and dragged Christianity into that, too. The present view of Jesus as a deep eyed dark -bearded, long - haired fellow is not Jesus as a Jew, but Jesus as a Byzantine priest or prophet.

I cannot dismiss, incidentally, the title of Mary 'Star of the sea' which was the title of Isis, who was (in Egyptian form) shown with the baby Horus. I have often wondered whether, in Isis -worship in Rome, the Isis-Horus pairing in Roman or Ptolemaic - Egyptian representations would not have been the basis for the whole mother and child iconic thing, before the nativity became a memorable part of the Gospel story.

These things are...perhaps a shock to Christians who get used to them as reliable facts about Jesus. I see them as late add -ons (like Christmas trees and Santa) that are really neither here nor there as regards the validity of the Gospels.

As to handing out Bibles, I cannot read the minds of those who do it, but I suppose they believe that they are expecting that each Bible = a prospective convert.

I have to confess that I don't know for sure that reading the Bible is a major cause of deconversion, but 2nd after the problem of evil (as far as I can recall) is those who studied the bible and became ever more doubtful about it.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
Mr 150,
As someone who, like you, has held Bible studies, you and I both know we pick a specific part of the Bible and do not actually go through the whole Bible. Also, most studies tend to ignore modern scholarship. And few Christians actually read the whole Bible. People still like being told what to read and then how they should interpret from their leader, not on their own.
Who is the "we" of which you speak? Bible studies as I have experienced all my life in many churches tend to plod thru the entire Bible.

Such as: Read the Bible in One Year

Daily Bible Reading Plans

Bible in a Year - Reading Plan

No offense, but my wife read yours and AREQUIPA's posts and found the Bible deconversion statement funny. Bibles are handed out. People read it and some come back with questions. No one rips out certain sections before passing them out.

How am I supposed to get deconverted if I keep being fed nonsense?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,945,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Who is the "we" of which you speak? Bible studies as I have experienced all my life in many churches tend to plod thru the entire Bible.

Such as: Read the Bible in One Year

Daily Bible Reading Plans

Bible in a Year - Reading Plan

No offense, but my wife read yours and AREQUIPA's posts and found the Bible deconversion statement funny. Bibles are handed out. People read it and some come back with questions. No one rips out certain sections before passing them out.

How am I supposed to get deconverted if I keep being fed nonsense?
Reading the bible, in two languages, and an 11 volume concordance, confirmed to me that it was not a philosophy that I wanted to be involved in.

Grimm Brothers had less horrors in it than the bible, and almost as many relevant human teachings.

Bashing babies brains out and reveling in it? Hypocrisy abounds - Leviticus condemns homosexuality, but David and Johnathon are described as having a loving relationship, and Ruth and Naomi "loved each other as Adam did Eve". It endorses slavery, but even worse, holocausts. Except for virgins. You do know the story of the Midianites?

So, if you want to take all the teachings from the bible, you too would be deconverted. But most christians either don't know the stories, or they ignore them, or they excuse them for some convoluted reason.

If they know the stories, they are not being honest to themselves or others if they don't question them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality