Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM

400 posts, read 601,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Dang, should have read ahead!
It needed to be said again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I would not worry about it that much. Most Christians in America seem to be more obsessed and focused on Satan than they are on Christ. Halloween should be something tht they should enjoy, although it is pagan , not Satanic.

When i was about 5 years old, we used to have a fun Halloween party at our church. Two years later, that Loser I Hated was hired as Pastor and all Halloween parties stopped. A few years later, all parties, including CHristmas, stopped as well.

I enjoy Halloween, and since I do not believe in the existence of "the Devil" it is not big deal to me.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
She probably doesn't like random people coming up to her door..........
LOL

I admittedly don't have a lot of experience with JW. However, I have spent time with two JW, one practicing and one not. The practicing one's attitude was that once she told you something was bad/evil/you shouldn't do it, then she'd be shocked if you did it. She'd literally say, "But I told you, you shouldn't do that." My response, "You told me that I shouldn't do it because it's against your religion, but I'm not part of your religion." I didn't spend much time with her (she was a friend of a friend). She just couldn't understand why I didn't change my ways because she told me to.

The other experience was with a non-practicing JW, and he told me that the above attitude was common. Sort of an, I-told-you-once-so-now-you-know-better approach. He also went a little nuts once he was free of all the restrictions. Halloween became his favorite holiday, he got face piercings and tattoos galore, and he worked for a fetish leather shop.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjang View Post
that's ironic since that's what jehova's witnesses do.
Good call. I wish I would have thought of that.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A holiday that celebrates death and witches does not seem to contain Christian values. But society says it is fine. So maybe you should go with what society says is right rather than what the bible teaches. I am no fan of JW theology, but on this point I agree.
Bad info- Halloween is actually Samhain, which translates to 'summer's end'. I guess if one stretches far enough it could be a celebration of death beings that everything has been harvested and summer is 'dead'.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:40 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
This was something we never did here in Africa where I grew up other than Halloween parties by a few Brits. We did however have a Guy Fawkes day on the 5th November where we would all fire our fireworks off. My dad was anti everything and we had to do a ritual of "Penny for the Guy" which was making up an effigy of Guy Fawkes which would be burned on a bonfire. The donations received, was enough to procure fireworks which I was not allowed to buy but did anyway.

Just goes to show how silly superstitions can evade a lot of fun.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjang View Post
Halloween or Hallowe'en (/ˌhæləˈwin, -oʊˈin, ˌhɒl-/; a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening"),[5] also known as All Hallows' Eve,[6] is a yearly celebration observed in a number of countries on October 31, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows (or All Saints) and the day initiating the triduum of Hallowmas, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers.[7]
According to many scholars, All Hallows' Eve is a Christianized feast initially influenced by Celtic harvest festivals,[8][9] and festivals of the dead with possible pagan roots, particularly the Scottish Gaelic Samhain.[6][10][11] Other scholars maintain that it originated independently of Samhain and has solely Christian roots.[12]
By the end of the 12th century they had become holy days of obligation across Europe and involved such traditions as ringing church bells for the souls in purgatory. In addition, "it was customary for criers dressed in black to parade the streets, ringing a bell of mournful sound and calling on all good Christians to remember the poor souls."[37] "Souling", the custom of baking and sharing soul cakes for all christened souls,[38] has been suggested as the origin of trick-or-treating
in some places like south america christian's celebrate it by going to church.
Good post, jjang . . . But in America Halloween has become (like Christmas) a very secular fun time for the kids and kids-at-heart. The seasonal emergence of the fundy celebration bashers is also as predictable as the sunrise. The idea that there can be any significance to a celebration that is NOT given to it by those who are celebrating . . . is a complete absurdity of superstitious thinking. We each determine what we are celebrating by what we are intending to celebrate, period!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:32 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Best thing so far this year are the clever ads by Reece's Pieces that it is THE official candy of Halloween, followed by the usual evil laugh sound overlay. Quite the creative ad actually.

Say now... is creativity a special domain of Satan I wonder?

Wmmm-wah-hahhh-Hahhh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWIQdK4HgU

or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNy_mXhXPs

Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality