Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:12 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That is a good question, and I don't know enough to give you a good answer. What I stated comes from others that know far more than I do about these things. I can try to respond in this way. I believe our hearts are in tune with a higher consciousness, an intuition that we should listen to and follow, more so than our minds which chatter constantly to us. As I understand it, there is the conscious state of the five senses, the sub-conscious, and then a super-conscious level of universal consciousness. The heart connects with the sub-conscious level. We also connect with this in our dreams. The Akashic records, for example, are in the super level. The Akashic records are the sum total of experiences of that soul, like a written record.

That's about all I can say regarding that at this time. I am in a process of seeking answers, just as everybody else is. What I hear over and over again is to listen to our hearts. The deeper meaning behind that, I couldn't begin to explain because I don't understand it myself. But I think it's true. We know in our hearts what is right and wrong, before we engage our brain. Do you disagree?
Yes, I disagree, but only because there is no evidence to suggest that what you say is true. You could indeed be correct, but that would of course conflict with the many other theories of the supernatural and the natural. Until some evidence surfaces to prove one way or the other, all we can depend upon is what we know, which at this point suggests nothing supernatural exists. In the meantime, why would you or anyone make such decisions on intuition, dreams, or a perceived supernatural experience? As I stated earlier, one doesn't make much less important decisions on these same concepts, but instead typically on reason, logic, and evidence. I don't understand why this question would be so difficult to answer, since you've obviously made a decision to do so.
Dreams have been proven to be a product of the subconscious brain, taken from previous real life experiences and/or expectations, but nothing supernatural. The Akashic records are not proven to exist, so such a definitive statements are not valid in a reasonable debate, and especially not in practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Yes, I disagree, but only because there is no evidence to suggest that what you say is true. You could indeed be correct, but that would of course conflict with the many other theories of the supernatural and the natural. Until some evidence surfaces to prove one way or the other, all we can depend upon is what we know, which at this point suggests nothing supernatural exists. In the meantime, why would you or anyone make such decisions on intuition, dreams, or a perceived supernatural experience? As I stated earlier, one doesn't make much less important decisions on these same concepts, but instead typically on reason, logic, and evidence. I don't understand why this question would be so difficult to answer, since you've obviously made a decision to do so.
Dreams have been proven to be a product of the subconscious brain, taken from previous real life experiences and/or expectations, but nothing supernatural. The Akashic records are not proven to exist, so such a definitive statements are not valid in a reasonable debate, and especially not in practice.
I didn't know this was a debate. I thought it was a search for truth, my ego is not involved here.
I guess you would have to define supernatural, for me to say whether there is evidence of it or not.
Have you read about Edgar Cayce's readings? He did over 14,000 of them over a 40 year period. According to him, anybody can tune into the same source he did, so I don't know if that would be termed supernatural. To my knowlege he is the only one that dedicated his life to helping people in this manner. I think his readings are proof of the Akashic records. You can discount them, if you choose.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't know this was a debate. I thought it was a search for truth, my ego is not involved here.
I guess you would have to define supernatural, for me to say whether there is evidence of it or not.
Have you read about Edgar Cayce's readings? He did over 14,000 of them over a 40 year period. According to him, anybody can tune into the same source he did, so I don't know if that would be termed supernatural. To my knowlege he is the only one that dedicated his life to helping people in this manner. I think his readings are proof of the Akashic records. You can discount them, if you choose.
This forum was designed for debate, but if you would like to use it as a means to search for the truth, it could be useful, but individual research would still be required.
Cayce was simply an alleged psychic who got some predictions right, but most wrong. It would seem that a true psychic would never be wrong. I'm not sure what evidence you use to discern that Cayce and the Akashic records are legitimate. Until such is provided, I cannot accept your premise.
Supernatural is easily defined as "an event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."

Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
...snip....
Supernatural is easily defined as "an event attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."
I'm pretty sure there are some laws of nature we have yet to understand that would appear to be "super" or "extra" natural until we do.

And certainly science is the best method we have at this time to try to understand/know what those laws may be and how they work.

But science is limited to what can be seen/weighed/ measured in some way.

Life is not.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
This forum was designed for debate, but if you would like to use it as a means to search for the truth, it could be useful, but individual research would still be required.
Cayce was simply an alleged psychic who got some predictions right, but most wrong. It would seem that a true psychic would never be wrong. I'm not sure what evidence you use to discern that Cayce and the Akashic records are legitimate. Until such is provided, I cannot accept your premise.
You'd have to be interested enough to learn about what he did yourself, and I'm not feelin it. His association continues to this day. There is more than enough information available if you care to look.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
You'd have to be interested enough to learn about what he did yourself, and I'm not feelin it. His association continues to this day. There is more than enough information available if you care to look.
I've looked at some of his "work" and read that some say they were healed by his readings and some said just the opposite. Likely, the placebo effect helped some, but there is NO evidence that I can find that demonstrates that he or the records are legitimate. Obviously you've found something that makes you believe. If you could provide that evidence, we could move on with evaluating it and finding whether it qualifies as evidence for the supernatural.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I've looked at some of his "work" and read that some say they were healed by his readings and some said just the opposite. Likely, the placebo effect helped some, but there is NO evidence that I can find that demonstrates that he or the records are legitimate. Obviously you've found something that makes you believe. If you could provide that evidence, we could move on with evaluating it and finding whether it qualifies as evidence for the supernatural.
I just finished a book on his personal life, (There is a River) how he got started, to where he worked himself into exhaustion and passed away soon afterward. There were many that came to prove he was a fraud, none were successful, many of those ended up coming to him for readings for their loved ones or themselves. I have not read of any that were not improved if not cured by following his recommendations. That is not to say there weren't any that chose not to follow his suggestions, the book mentions that there were a few. Most followed what was prescribed to the letter, and recovered.

He invited doctors from all specialties to double check his readings, to ensure he would do no harm. He was skeptical of his own readings, because when awake he had no idea what he said or where that knowledge came from. Nobody else could figure it out either. His Association studies and offers his readings to this day, making them available for any that inquire. There are also many books, one of which I just received today. It is titled Edgar Cayce's Story of Jesus. In his awake state, he taught Bible study, and was a devout Christian. He is not that person in his transitory state. I am very eager to learn what he says about Jesus when in trance.
In earlier times he only did health readings, later he also included Life Readings and delved into Atlantis and other topics.

Sleeping Prophet - Who was Edgar Cayce?
Edgar Cayce' s Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.) - Edgar Cayce readings: Spiritual Growth, Health, Ancient Mysteries
Cayce.com|Edgar Cayce Health and Research Information|Reports, Studies, How To's, Information

Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I just finished a book on his personal life, (There is a River) how he got started, to where he worked himself into exhaustion and passed away soon afterward. There were many that came to prove he was a fraud, none were successful, many of those ended up coming to him for readings for their loved ones or themselves. I have not read of any that were not improved if not cured by following his recommendations. That is not to say there weren't any that chose not to follow his suggestions, the book mentions that there were a few. Most followed what was prescribed to the letter, and recovered.

He invited doctors from all specialties to double check his readings, to ensure he would do no harm. He was skeptical of his own readings, because when awake he had no idea what he said or where that knowledge came from. Nobody else could figure it out either. His Association studies and offers his readings to this day, making them available for any that inquire. There are also many books, one of which I just received today. It is titled Edgar Cayce's Story of Jesus. In his awake state, he taught Bible study, and was a devout Christian. He is not that person in his transitory state. I am very eager to learn what he says about Jesus when in trance.
In earlier times he only did health readings, later he also included Life Readings and delved into Atlantis and other topics.

Edgar Cayce' s Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.) - Edgar Cayce readings: Spiritual Growth, Health, Ancient Mysteries
Cayce.com|Edgar Cayce Health and Research Information|Reports, Studies, How To's, Information
I would like to find a bit more objective and unbiased resources. You could imagine that these sites that are promoting him and his material would be very friendly to him and his claims. If he considered himself a Christian, I'd be very skeptical.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I would like to find a bit more objective and unbiased resources. You could imagine that these sites that are promoting him and his material would be very friendly to him and his claims. If he considered himself a Christian, I'd be very skeptical.
I can't make learn anything, but the records are all here for your review. These people have been studying his work for many years, they are the experts on Edgar Cayce.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:

We know that, though Cayce predicted the U.S. would find a death ray in Atlantis, this did not happen. If he was a psychic reading from the Records, would he not be correct 100% of the time? Given enough predictions and enough home remedies, some will come true and some will work. From what I've read this is the case in Cayce's claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality