Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times

Advertisements

Describe how faith has impacted your life positively, please! I could write an entire book about it, but one of the most amazing aspects of my faith is how faith softens the heart. When I read about people that murder others over a few dollars or abuse children sexually, I get on my knees and thank God for having given me the soft heart and the "fear of God" that would never allow me to do such acts. I cannot help but think that these people have very empty hearts and never in their lives experienced the "soft heart" that the Bible talks about. The idea that God and faith "softens" the heart of believers is powerful and something I value immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I have complete faith that with God I can handle anything.
Little faith says I know God can, will He?
Great faith says I know God can and He will
Prefect faith says He has already done it

Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Describe how faith has impacted your life positively, please! I could write an entire book about it, but one of the most amazing aspects of my faith is how faith softens the heart. When I read about people that murder others over a few dollars or abuse children sexually, I get on my knees and thank God for having given me the soft heart and the "fear of God" that would never allow me to do such acts. I cannot help but think that these people have very empty hearts and never in their lives experienced the "soft heart" that the Bible talks about. The idea that God and faith "softens" the heart of believers is powerful and something I value immensely.
So if you didn't fear God, then you would murder people and molest children?

No matter how soft their hearts are: people with murderous and pedophilic tendencies need to seek professional help. Fear of God won't quell those urges.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I have a very soft heart and do not believe in God. So do all the atheists I know. I also know a lot of people who claim to believe in God and are bigoted, narrow minded, selfish, greedy and many more things besides.

Being a kind, decent, thoughtful, gentle, honest human being has NOTHING to do with believing in God. The difference is Atheists do the right thing because they chose to not because God tells them to. There are bad atheists and bad believers. People are people, believing in god makes no difference whatsoever.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 11-19-2007 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Quote:
It's amazing I haven't murdered anyone today!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,563 times
God softens your heart.
I had never before thought of God as a meat tenderizer.

Just kidding. JUST KIDDING…

But seriously , I think the Dali Lama has as soft a heart as any Christian has. And he’s done it without the fear of God.

Metta,
Aeroman

Old 11-19-2007, 02:03 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
Quote:
lukeache, i am happy you are happy but thought i would say that you'd probably have a "soft heart" and not be a murderer or child molester even if you didnt read the bible or have a fear of god. btw, i believe most people are good. there are more good people (whether they are religious or not) in the world then bad even though sometimes it seems the other way around.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have a very soft heart and do not believe in God. So do all the atheists I know. I also know a lot of people who claim to believe in God and are bigoted, narrow minded, selfish, greedy and many more things besides.

Being a kind, decent, thoughtful, gentle, honest human being has NOTHING to do with believing in God. The difference is Atheists do the right thing because they chose to not because God tells them to. There are bad atheists and bad believers. People are people, believing in god makes no difference whatsoever.
i love your post and agree wholeHEARTedly! i too have a soft heart and feels things very deeply yet dont believe in the bible or jesus. I do my best to be a good person (i dont even kill bugs) whereas some christians i know are not so kind. it's weird.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
Both the Bible and the Quran clearly state that those who do not believe will go to Hell. I would not go as far as trying to pass judgement on people, since I truly believe that God is the only one who is in the position to do so, but I find amazing that both revelations point to very similar things, and were revealed in very different places to very different people. We are talking about your entire existance here amounting to nothing but an eternity of damnation and suffering, not the kind of stuff I would want to play around with.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Both the Bible and the Quran clearly state that those who do not believe will go to Hell.

Only a *part* of the Christian Bible states that an unbeliever would go to Hell. Remember that God changed his mind about the existence of Hell and who would go there after Jesus showed up. That is only one of the little theological difficulties you face when you take the Bible only at face value. And it's too bad that God has allowed so much confusion to exist in the world on this subject. You might also want to read what the Pope has to say about which unbelievers in Christianity are going to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality