Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,097 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to find that some of you are not dancing in the streets about this one:

SOURCE

At least until struck down by SCOTUS as a direct violation of the First Amendment.

Let's begin by asking how folks would react if the Koran were legislated as the State Book of Louisiana? Or how about one of the Catholic approved translations? Or a Universalist translation? Or the Bagavad Gita? Or the Tao Te Ching?

You see, KJV is the Holy Book of only some Christians, not all. To choose it, or any other Holy Book, as the State Book is the most brazen act of "establishment" that I have ever seen.

But the Baptist majority in Louisiana seeks to impose their view of the world on everyone else, something that here in America we don't cotton to.

Gotta be tough being a Christian fundamentalist in America.

I look forward to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
...snip...
Do you?

I'm kinda' dreading it.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I'm surprised to find that some of you are not dancing in the streets about this one:

SOURCE

At least until struck down by SCOTUS as a direct violation of the First Amendment.

Let's begin by asking how folks would react if the Koran were legislated as the State Book of Louisiana? Or how about one of the Catholic approved translations? Or a Universalist translation? Or the Bagavad Gita? Or the Tao Te Ching?

You see, KJV is the Holy Book of only some Christians, not all. To choose it, or any other Holy Book, as the State Book is the most brazen act of "establishment" that I have ever seen.

But the Baptist majority in Louisiana seeks to impose their view of the world on everyone else, something that here in America we don't cotton to.

Gotta be tough being a Christian fundamentalist in America.

Christian Theocrats rejoice!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Rejoice over what? What the purpose of an official book?

Does it matter if people are not following it?

Old 04-12-2014, 01:02 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Do you?

I'm kinda' dreading it.
Let's see if the usual suspects take the bait

Old 04-12-2014, 01:24 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
I think it's wonderful. Our country had more Christians in it's early years than other religions. It's history.

We also have buffalo here and not camels so why would we expect any state to say the camel is it's state animal? It's in the same line of recognition.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
It's such an obvious violation of the 1st Amendment that the governor should veto the bill should it be passed by the legislature. If he signs the bill, he should be impeached for blatant waste of taxpayer money for the cost of defending the law when it is appealed and thrown out by the Supreme Court.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:15 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,455,328 times
News like this makes me think this country would be better off if it split in two and let the Bible Belt become its own little dysfunctional theocracy.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:31 AM

247 posts, read 236,908 times
I did like the comment pointing out that since the constitution prohibits favoring one religion to the exclusion of others, that the lawmakers are effectively saying that the Bible is "just another book."

Old 04-12-2014, 11:02 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
This is just one of the many death throes of fundamentalist religion. It sends a clear signal of desperation that any state would even have an official "state book" much less making it the Bible. Why would any state feel the need to do this? Do politicians there really think that Christianity doesn't get enough attention?

Let's hope that the Supreme Court has the wherewithall to strike down this flagrant violation of the Establishment Clause - but after their recent decision that essentially gave the outcome of elections to the highest bidder, I'm not so sure I trust them to make the right decisions anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality