Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,020,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
None of those are correct. God is not dependent upon us, nor does he require us to in any way. We do not define good. God defines good. What he says or does is good--because he created everything and he set the rules.

So to suggest God is anything BUT good is an oxymoron.
That's kind of a circular argument, isn't it? God is good because God say he's good. Geez, I can't argue with that type of reasoning. I guess that makes you correct because you say you are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:23 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,263,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
That's kind of a circular argument, isn't it? God is good because God say he's good. Geez, I can't argue with that type of reasoning. I guess that makes you correct because you say you are correct.
You are misrepresenting my argument. Maybe you just didn't understand it. God isn't good BECAUSE HE SAYS he's good. Good is good because God says it's good. God is good--it's his nature. And he is the source of all things good.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:53 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,020,050 times
Quote:
You are misrepresenting my argument. Maybe you just didn't understand it. God isn't good BECAUSE HE SAYS he's good. Good is good because God says it's good. God is good--it's his nature. And he is the source of all things good.
Your argument is still goes in circles, God says it's good, therefore it must be good, good is good because God says it's good. God defines what is good, so therefore God must be good, because it's in His nature, just how are these statements not circular. There are all of holes in this type of reasoning.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Your argument is still goes in circles, God says it's good, therefore it must be good,
You're still either intentionally lying about me or you're just not getting it. I never said this, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Quote:

good is good because God says it's good.
God is the definition of "good". He is the source of all good. If it's of him--it's good.
Quote:

God defines what is good, so therefore God must be good, because it's in His nature, just how are these statements not circular. There are all of holes in this type of reasoning.
Because he is the creator of the universe--and he set the rules and all good comes from him

I would ask you why do you think you have the ability to question it? What authority or standard do you operate from?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,307,385 times
Quote:
...snip...

Because he is the creator of the universe--and he set the rules and all good comes from him....snip...
Then so must all bad.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:36 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,712,832 times
Quote:
Again....please define "good". God isn't good because he does good....he's good because he DEFINES good. Something is good or not depending on if he declared it to be good.
Might makes right, it seems. At least as far as the Abrahamic God is concerned.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You're still either intentionally lying about me or you're just not getting it. I never said this, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

God is the definition of "good". He is the source of all good. If it's of him--it's good.

Because he is the creator of the universe--and he set the rules and all good comes from him

I would ask you why do you think you have the ability to question it? What authority or standard do you operate from?
God said it is good to beat your slave as long as he doesn't die within 2 days. I understand now why the slaveowners in the South were typically Christian.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
God said it is good to beat your slave as long as he doesn't die within 2 days. I understand now why the slaveowners in the South were typically Christian.
Really? Got a verse for that?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:44 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,441,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Ok, we are talking about the Christian god in the bible here.

Many people will say that goodness is God and God is good. But this is circular reasoning and makes no sense. For all we know, Satan could be good just because he says he's good if we don't check him by an independent set of ethics.

So here are some examples of why I believe god is not good:
1. I created hell and you could (actually most likely) go there. A good loving god would not create hell as hell is not a just punishment for wrongdoings. Even Stalin or Hitler would eventually have payed their punishment at some trillion years of sentence. Eternity in hell is unjust for anyone.
2. I created the devil and your flesh to tempt you yet I say I won't tempt you. I created the possibility of sin and willingly allow the devil and you to do these things even though I supposedly hate them.
3. I demanded sacrifice. Taking the life of another being (whether human or animal, and yes, god commanded both) for your own mistakes is perverse, no matter how you look at it.
4. I commanded my people, Israel to go conquer and kill a bunch of people. There's nothing wrong with that is there?
5. I'm a jealous god and you will worship no one but me. Jealousy is not a good character trait, god or human.
6. I killed my creation when I got mad at them. I sent the flood and killed them in the desert while they were wandering around.
7. Except you believe in me you will die in your sins. Likewise, if you blaspheme me and say I am bad, you are for sure going to the hot place. The truth exists whether anybody believes it or not. So why does god care if anybody believes in him? Especially when he gives us no external evidence for reasons for doing so.
8. I commanded parents to drown their kids when their kids rebelled. That's sure good parenting advice.
9. I changed the rules. First I made the law, saw it was kind of crappy, and then made a new set of laws, Galatians 5:19-21 and Jesus's commandments. Why didn't god just give us the right ones in the first place.
10 I lied. I said I don't change, yet I repented and changed the rules. I said I was good and I'm really not.

Atheists/Agnostics and Christians bicker back and forth about whether the Christian god is really God and whether he exists, yet not many changes their opinion based on these arguments. Now lets argue if the Christian god is good. If gods not good, then why would you serve him?
True, and if I got bored and self-centered enough, I could even twist and misquote the Bible to say that Satan is holy. I mean hypothetically for shytz n giggles....

Old 10-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Really? Got a verse for that?
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality