Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

These two videos do an excellent job of showing the cladistic phylogenetic evidence for evolution accross the so-called 'Kind' barrier.

10th Foundational Falsehood of Creationism - YouTube

11th Foundational Falsehood of Creationism - YouTube

Enjoy the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Vizio, they are each approx. 10 min. - if you can't take the time to watch them then maybe you are not interested enough to have any further discussion of the matter other than my general summary in the Title and OP.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Vizio, they are each approx. 10 min. - if you can't take the time to watch them then maybe you are not interested enough to have any further discussion of the matter other than my general summary in the Title and OP.
you're probably right. Maybe I'd feel differently if I thought it was worth discussing with you.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Well, Shiloh, I always enjoying discussing scientific truths and theory with you and everyone else on here. To someone who does not even know what a phylum is then the subject is probably too complex for casual reading.
Being that I read articles in NEJM and such for leisure. I recall an old episode of Star Trek where Mr Scott was reading a technical journal in the rec room. Kirk walked in and asked "Do you ever relax?" to which Scotty replied "I am relaxing."

The videos are interesting, they do mention that most if not all creationists have a false idea of what evolution actually says. And since breakthoroughs are still happening in fields of evolutionary biology, for example, keeping up with the latest data can be a challenge. And no watching the Discovery Channel does not suffice.
When I was a kid, in middle school , we had this old fool of a Sunday school teacher who was a local post office director. He would always spout off like many others how evil and wrong Darwin and evolution were. I once asked him if he had ever actually read that book, and his response was the usual and common pre-programmed Baptist Lingo of "NO Way I won't ever read that sinful book"
I had to find a book catalog and send off for a copy in the mail, the small town library did not have a copy.
I read it, and found that all the things the Baptist church had taught me about what Darwin's book Origin of Species said was in fact, erroneous. Which immediately made me wonder...."Well, if they were wrong about this book, what else might they be wrong about?"
Shiloh, you could have heard a pin drop after all the gasps when I mentioned one Sunday that I had just finished reading Darwin's book. I was never considered a popular person in that church anyway, and my popularity probably rivaled the mythic Satan's afterwards. (I left a few months later anyway.)
But ever since, I have pursued my interests in science, and scientific fact, as opposed to accepting mythology and superstition as my parents tried to encourage.
Now today, I find the study of evolution quite fascinating.

And even more intriguing is having a bright, genius child, who shares a fascination with origins and evolution and always asks "why?" (He got his mom's good looks and high IQ LOL)

Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Hey LKC, yeah the vids do a great job of pointing out the error that creationists make regarding the so-called barrier between macro and micro-evolution. They also point out the many lines of evidence showing this - from embryology and the fossil record to genetics and cladistics. Your kid sounds like he/she has a great intrest in science and the intellectual goods to actually do something with it - congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality