U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:20 PM

14,309 posts, read 9,939,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
... I trust my intuitions...what's to explain?..I can't "scientifically" explain it anymore than a believer in a god can scientifically explain that...I think (like you said) they're instinctual, we all have this ability, but so many people don't listen or pay heed to those feelings., and some who do, would attribute it to a god (or goddess).
If it works consistently, who wouldn't go with it? I would only have a problem with someone concocting a mechanism / explantation for why it works out of whole cloth.

I have said elsewhere that I have very little going on in the intuition / premonition department, but I do have the ability to look over the shoulder of a junior programmer who has been tearing their hair out trying to figure out a problem for hours, and immediately see the problem. This can seem spooky / mysterious / ineffable to them but it is only 30 years of experience allowing me to see patterns they can't yet see. If I were to concoct a metaphysical system to explain this, and take it seriously, that would not be a Good Thing. We should never forget that we are intelligent creatures which means we can predict things based on patterns and notice things that don't fit patterns. This can at times look like premonitions or eldritch knowledge, but it is just our brain doing its job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 08:10 PM

47,997 posts, read 30,210,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This can at times look like premonitions or eldritch knowledge, but it is just our brain doing its job.
I know you think this is an explanation . . . since you use it so often, mordant. But it is not. EVERYTHING we do is just our brain doing its job . . . that does NOT mean we know WHAT that job IS or what else it is doing and WHY. We barely understand what it is doing . . . yet you and your ilk brush aside things that cannot be explained as "just our brain doing its job" and sometimes misfiring or whatever. We have proof that our brain is sensitive to EM fields . . . suggesting another sensory path for information from our reality. Yet we do not treat it as such because of bias and prejudice against WHAT it seems to be sensing. So we consider it some aberrant misinformation or Woo . . . not remotely objective or scientific. We do not search for other possible "fields" that might exist that our brain would be equally sensitive to . . . nor do we credit it as sensing. We consider it as "malfunction" . . . despite the similarity of "malfunction" across people and scenarios.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 AM

15,085 posts, read 12,855,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNYOOPER View Post
First of all I want to say that I am not a Bible thumping, hellfire threatening religious fanatic. I am also not a big fan of and have found many problems and inconsistencies with many forms of organized religion. I have also discovered contradictions in a couple of holy books.

On the other hand, I have consistently had many experiences during my lifetime that would indicate that there is a higher power than myself or a GOD.

For the atheists who consider themselves serious and open-minded thinkers, have you ever experienced intuitions that are hard to explain? And how do you scientifically explain these things?

I have experienced so many. You just happen to notice something just in time, you happen to learn about something just before it happens to you, or something tells you not to do this or that and there is some kind of tragedy or disaster that you are able to avoid because of this.

If you have lived long enough you have had to have these kinds of experiences. Are these just major coincidences or are they instinct that is built into humans from evolution? Or is this something else?
The human brain is more complex than we can imagine at this time. I'm an atheist who has had premonitions. I attribute them to my subconscious taking note of something "not being quite right" and storing it away without my consciously being aware of them.
Furthermore, humans employ apophenia, the need to look for patterns. We all do it, whether we're aware of it or not. The premonitions, the dreams, the gut instincts that don't pan out, tend to be forgotten. When something DOES pan out, it seems to be an "Aha" moment!
"See? It's real! My dream came true!" while conveniently forgetting all the dreams that didn't.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 AM

8,708 posts, read 7,925,547 times
In Spiritual realities there are these familiar spirits which are demonic in nature and these spirit know the people who they occupy and they give the host person ideas which they can relate to , Like the saying this is how I think , is the familiar spirits are one in mind to their host person and will convince the host on how to think and ideas ............. Like wizards and demons which the so called wizard conjures up an idea it is the demons who gave the wizard the idea , but the wizard does not believe in demons and believe he has gift of powers ....countless demons working together giving information for premonitions which other demons are working to fulfill for their complete deception of their host person who they posses ...familiar spirits are familiar to people like horoscopes actually sound right because these familiar spirit make it sound right ........ None of the familiar spirit come from the spiritual authority of the living God through Lord Jesus , but are stuck in the natural spirit realm of the flesh of man and animals in the earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality