Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Ok...but what about bigthirsty's contention that "natural causes" is a very tricky subject? What exactly is "natural causes"? If there is a way to reduce the number of miscarriages (by advocating universal prenatal care), then it's not entirely out of our hands, and therefore not left up to "natural causes". If that is the case, isn't it immoral not to try to reduce the number of miscarriages?

Imagine a person was about to be killed by a tornado (a "natural" death), and you had a way to notify that person to get out of the path of the tornado. Have you committed a sin if you do not notify that person? Or is it not a sin simply because that person died of "natural causes"?
i could be wrong but i dont think that many naturally caused miscarriages are preventable. there are tons of babies born to mothers who drink and do drugs and have no prenatal care. the fetus is very very tough and can withstand alot of abuse unless it is some kind of chromosomal defect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Ok...but what about bigthirsty's contention that "natural causes" is a very tricky subject? What exactly is "natural causes"? If there is a way to reduce the number of miscarriages (by advocating universal prenatal care), then it's not entirely out of our hands, and therefore not left up to "natural causes". If that is the case, isn't it immoral not to try to reduce the number of miscarriages?

Imagine a person was about to be killed by a tornado (a "natural" death), and you had a way to notify that person to get out of the path of the tornado. Have you committed a sin if you do not notify that person? Or is it not a sin simply because that person died of "natural causes"?
It has been a while since I became involved in this type of discussion--however, based on past experience there is no 'final answer'.

It sounds like we are headed into stem cell research territory.

I know I believe in a Higher Power that encourages the development of abilities and that somethings will never be fully known--that's about all I am prepared to say today.

bhs

Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
Quote:
You do what is humanly possible for you to do. I would do my best to notify that person to get out of the way. However, if they don't heed my warning, then the consequences are on their own head. The same could be said of smoking pregnant women. I'm pretty sure that most women (in the U.S., at least) know that it is harmful to the fetus if you smoke or drink while pregnant. There are public service commercials done on it all of the time. You can't follow all pregnant women around 24/7 to ensure that they don't smoke. If one of these women miscarries, then you could say that the baby did not die of natural causes.

However, there are many, many women that just have trouble carrying to term. It has nothing to do with substances that they intake. These would be considered natural causes. I don't know why...I'll leave that in God's hands.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I would certainly hope that every single one of these members of conservative Christian churches has opened their home to the tens of thousands of unwanted foster children out there.
Catholic Charities is always looking for help.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Another good question would be "what is your church doing about those grossly overweight people in the congregation?"

Isn't it immoral to sit by and do nothing about them choosing to shorten their lives by overeating?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
there is a BIG difference between miscarriage and abortion. one is nature's way and the other is purposefully done.
also, i think alot of miscarriages happen because the baby/fetus has a defect which may be incompatible with life but alot (most) abortions happen to perfectly healthy babies.
Not so sure there is a difference between abortion and miscarriage, presumably you mean miscarriage is brought about by physical defect, but cannot abortion be seen as mental defect and why if mental refers to the body cannot this be also considered physical.

It is thought a lot of miscarriages are caused because the foetus is deformed or otherwise unhealthy, who is to say the aborted are healthy, a number must be otherwise, so who can safely condemn?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Another good question would be "what is your church doing about those grossly overweight people in the congregation?"

Isn't it immoral to sit by and do nothing about them choosing to shorten their lives by overeating?
For many, the sin of gluttony is a great struggle.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
Not so sure there is a difference between abortion and miscarriage, presumably you mean miscarriage is brought about by physical defect, but cannot abortion be seen as mental defect and why if mental refers to the body cannot this be also considered physical.

It is thought a lot of miscarriages are caused because the foetus is deformed or otherwise unhealthy, who is to say the aborted are healthy, a number must be otherwise, so who can safely condemn?
i am sorry to say that most abortions happen because of factors other than fetus health.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 PM

599 posts, read 1,261,016 times
I fully believe that life begins at conception. I believe at that moment, God creates a soul. I believe that all of those tiny little lives/souls that may survive in the womb just a few days or weeks will be in heaven. I myself have had two tubal pregnancies that only lived a few weeks and I believe I will see those children in heaven. I can't begin to understand why God allows those beings to be created and why they have to die after just a short time but then again who am I to question His motives. I will ask Him though when I get to heaven

Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
I fully believe that life begins at conception. I believe at that moment, God creates a soul. I believe that all of those tiny little lives/souls that may survive in the womb just a few days or weeks will be in heaven. I myself have had two tubal pregnancies that only lived a few weeks and I believe I will see those children in heaven. I can't begin to understand why God allows those beings to be created and why they have to die after just a short time but then again who am I to question His motives. I will ask Him though when I get to heaven
I think you're right.
(((Faith)))

bhs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality