Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
so you think...so we all do, to some extent

(I just mean that we all harbor the illusion to some degree)
Hi Matt,
I am interested in what u think.
Why do u think it is an illusion?
Has everything been laid out? Pre~planned, in your opinion?

I would think if someone believed in a Creator/Observer....what fun would that be?
I mean why even bother if You know all the moves?

It would be like having an antfarm....why bother if each move is known...that's my point.
Thanks.

Edit: Gee, there is a sort of freedom...the thought that I have no choices, no decisions...hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I choose to not visit said places if they do not offer tacos.
Which is predetermined by the fact that not all places will cater to your culinary preferences. You are still being "forced" to order off the menu by only considering the place that offer tacos.

I have no idea what tacos may be like as Mexican food is not readily available here.

Lets expand on that. Not all men prefer blondes even though the myth infers they have more fun. I am a brunette man second only to hot redheads who are scarce and of the lady variety. this is talking of either taste in the literal or figurative sense or preferences.

Now why would we have preferences to certain foods and not others (ignoring digestive issues)? How much of that was influenced by your upbringing.

I hate fish with a passion. When I was first diagnosed with an overactive thyroid at age 15, someone mentioned iodine in fish and the doctor with treatment said that this disease causes an iodine imbalance. Ergo, connect imaginary dots and for a whole year fish was on the menu every frigging second night. However a fresh caught cob when I am at the coast, cooked in tinfoil over hot coals melts in your mouth when the right ingredients are applied. I never order fish at a restaurant.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
The gift of free will is given to us by God for the specific purpose to either accept or reject Him and receive His Love. If people believe in the Bible story of Adam and Eve, they are the first examples of free will in action. They rejected Him.

As to our material lives on earth apart from God, our free will choices are limited due to various circumstances and the ever increasing laws placed upon us by governments, etc. I live in a housing development with an HOA and therefore, it was my free will choice to move here knowing there would be times my free will would be infringed upon... like when speed bumps were installed a few years ago. That said... I ain't moving.
Got a verse that states we have free will?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
There is no "free will" the is only the freedom of choice.

Free implies that there is no cost or consequences
Will implies that something can choose a course of action deliberately.

If God granted me free will, then I should be able to do whatever I choose to do with out offending this God. However, God has laid down laws therefore no free will exist. I have the freedom to act within the law, if I choose to act outside his laws then there are consequences for my actions, again this is not free will.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 AM

545 posts, read 451,622 times
The issue of free will is a system. Both choice and non choice operate together in respects to each and create the system. For an example, the human body has voluntary activity and involuntary activity, both operate and allow the human body to work.

It could be said, I will fully choose to have tea tom morning when I get up instead of coffee for a test. It goes against the usual but for the thought.

So from now there may be 20 hours until the actual event of having the tea.

Because there are many potential threats in simply existing, environment as well all capabilities including whether or not I have tea in the house not sure, which go into a risk the choice will not be fulfilled. I could also change my mind due to many other things but for the moment made the choice for a change.

As time goes along and the choice has not changed the outcome of having the cup of tea is increased. So what we have is a changing probability that the choice will have a greater chance of being a fact.

As time goes along up to 5 hours before there could be an estimation . At that a 70% chance is fixed to the choice and its verification.

Its the morning now and yes I found some tea. The chance's now have changed. The water is boiling, it came out of the tap ok and a 97% chance is fixed to the free will and sure choice to have the tea.

The tea is now stirring, a toranado didn't rip the roof off the house, I have not changed my mind and there is a 99% chance my free will is good to go.

The tea is in the cup with a few extra things for taste only, and the cup is on its way to my mug.

The rim of the cup is at my chin, Im still standing and did not have some kind of unexpected brain or physical disorder.

The cup is now at my mouth entry , my arm worked and I was not attacked by some crude person or animal coming barging in the house.

We are now at 99.99% that the sure choice to have the cup of tea will come true.

The tea is now in motion in my mouth, everything is good to go and all I need to do is swallow.

We are at 99.9999% almost there in satisfying the free choice to have a cup of tea.

Almost, it has not been fully swallowed and in that time, there has been no torando, no attacker, no abrupt sickness yet it is still not a completed task because we are now only at 99.9999999999% sure to have the cup of tea.

Now, the first sip is finally through the system and on its way for digestion. The project was a success but, in the moment, the exact moment of finalizing the choice in free will
there was no free will at all.

In each and every exact moment concerning an 'arrived outcome, there is no such thing as free will, each exact moment is an expression, its a system which requires both choice and non choice operating together as a system including extremes and balance, similar to the working systems in the body, voluntary and involuntary.

Last edited by macpherson; 10-30-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
There is no "free will" the is only the freedom of choice.

Free implies that there is no cost or consequences
I have the freedom to act within the law, if I choose to act outside his laws
then there are consequences for my actions, again this is not free will.
So that would be like saying we in the U.S. are not free.

What is it that you want to do exactly?

Jump from a building....oops you can't bec of the law of gravity.
Do you want to rob someone?...oops you can't bec of the law of karma.
Do you want to place your hand on a hot stove?

I'm not agreeing that "free" means no cost or consequences....therefore, we are not free.

Free means no rules what so ever, then?

I'm not even getting the diff between choice and freewill yet! Ha!
Maybe you can help me understand how you are thinking on this.
The concept is new to me.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Hmm..a system like the Vol and invol nervous system.
Sympathetic and asympathetic

Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So that would be like saying we in the U.S. are not free.

What is it that you want to do exactly?

Jump from a building....oops you can't bec of the law of gravity.
Do you want to rob someone?...oops you can't bec of the law of karma.
Do you want to place your hand on a hot stove?

I'm not agreeing that "free" means no cost or consequences....therefore, we are not free.

Free means no rules what so ever, then?

I'm not even getting the diff between choice and freewill yet! Ha!
Maybe you can help me understand how you are thinking on this.
The concept is new to me.
The difference between the to are: Freedom to choose, one can choose a course of action knowing that their choice has limitations. You have the freedom to choose to jump from a building, knowing that the impact may end your life. Free will would imply that I can jump from a building and "will" myself to over come the effects of gravity.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The difference between the to are: Freedom to choose, one can choose a course of action knowing that their choice has limitations. You have the freedom to choose to jump from a building, knowing that the impact may end your life. Free will would imply that I can jump from a building and "will" myself to over come the effects of gravity.
I follow your thinking better.

Wow, that actually just opened up another can of worms.

That being, do we just not realize our own potential...when indeed, if we did we could
go beyond Physical Laws...wasn't that the exact thing Jesus tried to show everyone...gee, he
went so far as to dematerialize in front of a crowd...seems to me to expand human consciousness
or possibilities...that all is not what it seems....in other words ...realize who you
are and fly like Jonathan L Seagull.....get rid of the paperchains!!

Ok you got me thinking. Thank you.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It would be like having an antfarm....why bother if each move is known...that's my point.
Thanks.

Edit: Gee, there is a sort of freedom...the thought that I have no choices, no decisions...hmm.
Re: the ant farm.

The determinist view of this makes sense and infers only god knows the outcome. It does actually seem to be this way from a biblical perspective. All those laws which really do not leave much leeway. Folk want to reject this as they envision we are all little obedient drones with no mind of our own. Our thoughts are even influenced by external factors and perhaps how we project them is the only free choice we make - or is it?

Do you sometimes choose NOT to say what is on your mind so as not to offend someone?

If so, that person governs that decision. We do deliberate our thoughts and make decisions on how we orate them. If you can see the external influences at work, even here you cannot simply say what you would like to say. There is a personality type that does indeed speak their mind regardless of consequence.

If you have not seen it, watch the movie the invention of lying and see how Ricky Gervais addresses this matter. This shows a culture totally devoid of lying and everything taken on face value. People say things that would be deemed offensive to most folk. Ironically, he discovers lying, makes up his own commandments on empty pizza boxes and in the end it balances out the society.

The alternative to free will is of course causality but in a nut shell is "he who has the gold makes the rules." This aspect is explored in the Matrix reloaded movie by way of the character the Merovingian.

I mention these movies as this free will plot does surface in many memes. It is not the source of my philosophical outlook but it seems some folk share my sentiments.

Another place this theme is predominant is the series Flash Forward and looks particularly at the predestination model.

I seriously doubt it if we were able to foresee everything in our future, we would be able to make any decision even if we could see the consequences in a flash. The old adage of learning from your mistakes is both true and false.

If you believe you made a mistake you cannot change the outcome. However what caused you to make the wrong choice? This is where it gets very grey.

Is alcoholism a disease or simply a bad habit? Opinions vary on this one too. IMO it is the latter.

I got involved with drugs. The scenario.

Was working as a door to door salesmen, involved in car accident, I was not driving, in the back seat, no seatbelts fitted, suffered a back injury, much pain and took excessive pain killers, was sharing an apartment with a girl, her boyfriend came to visit, asks if it is OK if he smokes a joint, my backpain came up, he suggests I try it, wunderbar pain gone, get addicted, end up dealing, lose jobs, eventually have to go back to live with parents in country town where I ess knew no one, dad organises a job for me as he is in recruitment, met my wife worked in the same department and so on.

If you take that, IF I never was involved in the car accident, I probably would not have met my wife and may well have ended up in a different destiny. In all likelihood I would also never have gotten involved with church or religion as when our 1st kid was born, her family put pressure on me for infant baptism which ultimately led with other circumstance me getting very involved with church. I probably would still be an agnostic or simply irreligious.

One could say, the car accident led ultimately to my current state of atheism.

All of this started one day my parents had sex and I was conceived and with only one ovary too boot. There is 7 years between my sister and I and 3 years between her and my brother. Political instability also shaped my journey through three different countries to end up in here in SA.

As far as knowing the moves, imagine if you knew one of your actions will result in the death of an innocent somewhere down the line. That would be impossible to even contemplate.

When you take any of this and put a puppeteer in charge, it makes no sense at all. That would mean a god had to have orchestrated all of this just so I could end up here sharing this true story. Despite this view, looking back, it really did not seem like I had any say in my destiny.

For all intents and purposes, my life so far has seemed very orchestrated.

Last edited by SeekerSA; 10-30-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality