Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Well, this is a bit off topic from the OP, but I wanted to tell you that I'm so sorry to learn about your wife's passing. But you must know that she's alive! I know you don't believe this, but I wish you would. If you would call her name, I'm sure she would come running to you. Please consider reading this spirit message about the passing of a loved one into the spirit world. Divine Love Writings: Helen Describes the Transition of Passing Into the Spirit World
I know you mean well and thank you. I have come to terms with her passing but will always miss her.

I am afraid that nothing would convince me, I am too sceptical and know whatever transpires would be me willing it so or a product of an active imagination. We are supposed to grieve and move on as it is part of the cycle of life.

When I was in my seeking days, there was not many stones I left unturned, none of them were convincing. IMO who open their minds or dismiss logic, will see apparitions but that is all they would be, there would be no dialogue and at best I would really be replaying a memory. I seriously doubt I can be hypnotised and that would be an avenue I would have explored initially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,739 times
Free will is a trick. Do what you like but ill torture you eternally? Free will is choice without consequences so grave it would be dangerous to do them

Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
An ocean apart , similar age (55 moi) and similar experiences, exact same POV. Perhaps you are my long lost twin
Think of me as your brother from another mother ;-)

Old 10-31-2013, 11:20 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
If one believes in an omniscient, omnipotent, benevolent deity, then free will is a complete illusion.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:24 PM

2,066 posts, read 2,161,397 times
Quote:
I know you mean well and thank you. I have come to terms with her passing but will always miss her.

I am afraid that nothing would convince me, I am too sceptical and know whatever transpires would be me willing it so or a product of an active imagination. We are supposed to grieve and move on as it is part of the cycle of life.

When I was in my seeking days, there was not many stones I left unturned, none of them were convincing. IMO who open their minds or dismiss logic, will see apparitions but that is all they would be, there would be no dialogue and at best I would really be replaying a memory. I seriously doubt I can be hypnotised and that would be an avenue I would have explored initially.
Here I go again getting off topic, but I'm sending prayers out your way to help remove your skepticism.

One thing I learned is that we find God with our heart and soul and not our mind. Of course, we need logic and judgment for our free will investigations, but some things which appear be illogical actually are things of real existence, even though they do not appear to our seeing eyes. Just as we know that wind and electricity exist but we are only able to see their effects.

There is much posting on this forum about illusions. Imagine that after our passing, there actually is a place where we go that is much like where we are now with homes and buildings and institutions of higher learning and where free will also exists. And imagine that our loved ones have bodies, the same as we do, although they are spirit rather than material. And not to further trample on your free will choice not to believe, while this all may seem like a fairy tale, what if it isn't?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Here I go again getting off topic, but I'm sending prayers out your way to help remove your skepticism.

One thing I learned is that we find God with our heart and soul and not our mind. Of course, we need logic and judgment for our free will investigations, but some things which appear be illogical actually are things of real existence, even though they do not appear to our seeing eyes. Just as we know that wind and electricity exist but we are only able to see their effects.

There is much posting on this forum about illusions. Imagine that after our passing, there actually is a place where we go that is much like where we are now with homes and buildings and institutions of higher learning and where free will also exists. And imagine that our loved ones have bodies, the same as we do, although they are spirit rather than material. And not to further trample on your free will choice not to believe, while this all may seem like a fairy tale, what if it isn't?
Not sure if you read my other posts but I covered the problems with this. I am pretty damn certain that if there was a hereafter, my rewards would be great as I actually made the time and effort to discover more than the best preacher has done.

That said, I am not that old to seek out a new partner and of course that complicates the whole hereafter issue if hypothetically "we" perished in a car accident. Would I now go to Mormon heaven, will my wife have to convert? I really could not be faithful to two "mistresses" in RL so I cannot envision that transcending to a hereafter w/o pleading for the trapdoor to be opened.

As for my late wife, I am in the acceptance stage despite me still missing her. I guess I will always miss her as we had such a long bucket list.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM

545 posts, read 451,685 times
Quote:
When you look back on your life, for those of you above 40, the important choices your thought you made in life do tend to appear orchestrated, one need not break out in song and say;
Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be
There is so much one can still enjoy in life and IMO this is where we come to accept our mortality and accept the outcomes will pretty much be decided by factors outside our control; that and in particular where you live and how affluent you may be to afford life extension meds or treatment.

This again is determined by effectively a random chance.

I think back in the day folk were able to deal with mortality and longevity was indeed seen as a blessing of the gods rather than survival of the fittest. I would be dead now had I not had access to medical science for simple things like malaria, bilharzia, a dislocated hip in a motor cycle accident and my recent high BP issues.

My wife who never smoked, never drank except an swig of beer or a beer shandy on occasion, lived a healthy life, suffered an aneurysm that killed her 2 weeks later at age 51. Inversely, I smoke, I drink on occasion and probably am unfit, yet here I am at 55 going on 56. Doesn't seem fair does it? There was absolutely nothing to predict she was ill and headed for that fatality. No signs of deterioration.

Most folk would say her time had come which is mere platitude and supported by nothing. We do not understand this and then some folk invent afterlives to deal with the loss when in fact even that is not supported by evidence. She only remains in our memories and her sudden departure demonstrates just how fragile this life is - we should make the most of it.

I have worked this back oodles of time and with much whatiffery. It does not change the outcome and based on the prognosis given by experts, I probably would have made the exact same decisions.

She was planning on living a long time and becoming a grandmother was definitely in her future plans. Had she not resisted going to AUS when teh opportunity was there, she may well have been around today - or not.

Confronting this reality is scary for most folks but it does ultimately lead to acceptance of your inevitable fate.
Thats right an individuals life is orchestrated. A person is given a chair and has whats called an instrument.

A person can play the instrument however they like, there is a score to follow , a tempo to keep while contributing to the product. A person has the option to improvise, its a choice.

If it works out for the whole group or themselves the person will soon know, and also be able to figure out simple things like what works and what doesn't . There are all kinds of accidentals, counterpoints, changing key signatures in the score from the outset. Changing things with choice is part of how it all works. Didn't bother reading the whole entry yet again because it starts up once more with nothing concrete. No value to develop anything at all.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-01-2013 at 05:13 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
If we dont have free will and everything is predetermined whats the point of it all?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If we dont have free will and everything is predetermined whats the point of it all?
Define "free will". I guess I'd be curious to see what people define that as.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
If you are going to define "free will" as choice having no consequence of course there is no "free will" and discussion is stupid. If you define it as the capability to make a choice as it is commonly defined there is room for discussion.

If you posit a Newtonian universe where physics is all that works, then the obvious conclusion is deterministic (pool table model). There is some question of whether indeterminate results of quantum physics and/or chaos theory makes any real difference or just adds a layer of complexity to what we observe. If you posit a universe in which another "force" is at work, "spirit" if you will, then the possibility of choice does open up.

Those of us who believe in God in a perception that He makes a difference in our lives may accept the fact that many factors determine our choices in nearly everything, but that in those choices of greatest concern to our "spiritual lives" God gives us enough information or impetus to overcome the deterministic set and allow a choice. It is not the circumstances of the choice that we then have control over, but the choice itself. The consequences will then follow deterministically (at least in most cases).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality