Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times

Advertisements

Yep. A Texas public school took away a students personal bible, and suspended him for 3 days.

Now for the rest of the story. The student in question is gay, and he tore pages from Leviticus out of his own bible. The student is a Christian, and tore out the pages in protest of the treatment he has received from fellow students.

So, should the school allow students to carry thier own personal religious books, or should the school ban ALL religious books?
I feel that the student was well within his rights to carry, and modify his own bible.

Isaiah Smith, Gay Teen Who Ripped Out Bible Pages, Suspended By Texas School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I feel that the student was well within his rights to carry, and modify his own bible.
The First Amendment gives him the right to modify his Bible. I think he made a very profound statement. If he goes to a public school his right to carry a Bible on campus is (I think) covered by the Equal Access Act. His manner of protest is probably covered by the Tinker ruling. Let us hope so.

Hopefully, school authorities learn that we have things called laws and Constitutional rights in this country.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-05-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep. A Texas public school took away a students personal bible, and suspended him for 3 days.

Now for the rest of the story. The student in question is gay, and he tore pages from Leviticus out of his own bible. The student is a Christian, and tore out the pages in protest of the treatment he has received from fellow students.

So, should the school allow students to carry thier own personal religious books, or should the school ban ALL religious books?

Isaiah Smith, Gay Teen Who Ripped Out Bible Pages, Suspended By Texas School
As much as it pains me to say it--yes--he has the right to do that. I don't know all of the details, and I would wonder if perhaps he was causing a disturbance by doing so--and maybe that should have been addressed, but a kid does have the right to carry and modify a Bible, a koran, or whatever.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
The school poobahs definitely overreacted.

Kudos to the kid. To be openly gay in the American South takes guts.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM

400 posts, read 601,494 times
The issue isn't whether the young man should or should not be allowed to carry his Bible in school.

After reading the OP's linked article, I asked myself what the assistant principal's motivation for the suspension was. I found it in another article: Birdville student suspended for ripping Bible | Local News | News from Fort Worth, Dalla...

The young man was told by the school's vice principal before the incident that he could bring his Bible to school, but he could not rip out pages in class as it would be in violation of the school's disruption policy. The young man was also told his bullying complaints would be investigated. Apparently, the young man brought his Bible, and when taunted in his Spanish class, which had a substitute teacher, he tore the pages from his Bible.

It looks like a situation that spun out of control. I can understand the young man, a gay Christian, being frustrated for being bullied by classmates claiming he was going to hell. The situation no doubt worsened with a substitute teacher who was unable to control the class.

I think the young man should have his suspension expunged from his school record. Plus, he should get his Bible back, if he hasn't already. I am anxious to find why the vice principal took the young man's Bible; was it to punish him or protect him?

This incident mirrors societal ailments and hot button topics on so many levels it would fill a page highlighting them all.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
The issue isn't whether the young man should or should not be allowed to carry his Bible in school.

After reading the OP's linked article, I asked myself what the assistant principal's motivation for the suspension was. I found it in another article: Birdville student suspended for ripping Bible | Local News | News from Fort Worth, Dalla...

The young man was told by the school's vice principal before the incident that he could bring his Bible to school, but he could not rip out pages in class as it would be in violation of the school's disruption policy. The young man was also told his bullying complaints would be investigated. Apparently, the young man brought his Bible, and when taunted in his Spanish class, which had a substitute teacher, he tore the pages from his Bible.

It looks like a situation that spun out of control. I can understand the young man, a gay Christian, being frustrated for being bullied by classmates claiming he was going to hell. The situation no doubt worsened with a substitute teacher who was unable to control the class.

I think the young man should have his suspension expunged from his school record. Plus, he should get his Bible back, if he hasn't already. I am anxious to find why the vice principal took the young man's Bible; was it to punish him or protect him?

This incident mirrors societal ailments and hot button topics on so many levels it would fill a page highlighting them all.
I wonder if those taunting him were also punished?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 AM

400 posts, read 601,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wonder if those taunting him were also punished?
I would certainly hope so but read this article, especially the letter. The next article is a bit distrubing. There are so many stories and comments swriling around I'm going to wait 'til the dust settles.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...arget_bird.php
http://www.dallasvoice.com/american-...-10160911.html

Last edited by bartstarr1960; 11-05-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I would certainly hope so but read this article, especially the letter. The next article is a bit distrubing.
Why is the second article disturbing to you?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-05-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
As a retired teacher, my only concern is, did he disturb my classroom? The action itself, he can take up with God.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
I would certainly hope so but read this article, especially the letter. The next article is a bit distrubing. There are so many stories and comments swriling around I'm going to wait 'til the dust settles.
American Humanists Target Birdville ISD for Suspending Student Who Tore Pages From a Bible
American Humanist Association represents Birdville student
Thank you for the additional links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality