Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,367,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
its another topic
I am not so sure it is really. Because I think we should be teaching children only what we have actual reason to think true.

If they themselves want to fill their heads later with unsubstantiated nonsense then by all means let them. But it should not be us putting it there.

We should certainly not be teaching as "fact" or "true" the things we have in our heads that are there without a single piece of substantiating argument, evidence, data or reasoning. Things like the existence of hell that are clearly psychological tools designed to get people to believe things that are otherwise clear fabrications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,651,916 times
why would we teach children about something that doesn't exist...

Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,173,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
why would we teach children about something that doesn't exist...
I'm guessing there are a lot of things you believe regarding your religion that I would consider false. But you're welcome to teach your children/grandchildren what you want (as if you needed or cared for my permission).

Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm guessing there are a lot of things you believe regarding your religion that I would consider false. But you're welcome to teach your children/grandchildren what you want (as if you needed or cared for my permission).
you're right, I don't need your permission... And there's a lot about your religion that I could consider false but first you must understand your mistaken in assuming that I have a religion....

Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,688,273 times
Quote:
As we already know, what you consider false and true isn't necessarily reality. What we should be teaching is what is reality as a result of empirical evidence. The existence of Hell, Heaven, the fairy tales of the Great Flood, the Ten Commandments, Muhammad having spoken to Allah, Thor creating lightening and thunder, should all be taught in literature or religion classes. Otherwise critical thinking by children is hampered.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 PM

33,518 posts, read 37,111,020 times
It is not just Christians that get messed up by the fear of hell....This video is worth watching..

Apostasy, death threats, and fear of hell - The Atheist Experience #656 - YouTube

Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
you're right, I don't need your permission... And there's a lot about your religion that I could consider false but first you must understand your mistaken in assuming that I have a religion....
Semantics. Your "religion", "spirituality", whatever. Even if you tell me you're an atheist--that's a belief about.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Semantics. Your "religion", "spirituality", whatever. Even if you tell me you're an atheist--that's a belief about......no belief....

but then again Preacher you wouldn't know about that....your problem Preacher is that you judge everybody by yourself and yet you seem to be the only one like you.... And maybe that's a good thing.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
[/color]
but then again Preacher you wouldn't know about that....your problem Preacher is that you judge everybody by yourself and yet you seem to be the only one like you.... And maybe that's a good thing.
Whatever, Chief. I'm not even sure at this point what I said to you that you find so offensive, but you're happy to take your shots at me.

Last edited by Vizio; 11-07-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,685,199 times
Children should never be exposed to religious nonsense. This indoctrinating a child into any religion is nothing more than brainwashing a young mind. This young child trusts you to teach them the truth and instead you fill their heads full of foolish garbage that does nothing more than make a mental basket case out of them.

Now I lay me down to sleep, if I die before I wake..., wait, wait, what's die? I can die? And if I don't do as you tell me I will spend eternity, hell, and suffer forever?

That child is guaranteed to be in therapy by age 16. That is if he doesn't steal a gun and start shooting people before then.

If you believe so strongly in your religion then why don't you wait until a child is old enough, say 18, before you start filling his/her head full of that religious swill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality