Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

My question to theists, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, et al. How do you view those who identify as Atheists?

Hate them?
Love them?
Respect them?
View them with scorn?
Could care less what they believe?
Agree to disagree?
Live and let live?
View them as a threat to your belief system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
I respect their views and certainly understand (and agree with) their dismissal of the reality of the Abrahamic, and other man-made gods.

They, like most of us here, are seekers of truth. They simply haven't found evidence that convinces them of the existence of a god.

With one notable exception, I find the atheists on this forum to be more pleasant, agreeable and thoughtful than many of the believers.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:37 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
I view them the same as I view theists: as people.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM

511 posts, read 491,355 times
I'm answering as a Christian (in case that makes a difference)

My question to theists, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, et al. How do you view those who identify as Atheists?

Hate them? Nope

Love them? Nope

Respect them? That depends...I respect a person based on the kind of person they are...not their beliefs. There are many athiests I respect and many I don't. There are many theists I respect and many I don't. All belief systems are comprised of good people and jerks.

View them with scorn? Nope

Could care less what they believe? Actually, I couldn't care less. If I could....that would mean I care at some level.

Agree to disagree? I guess

Live and let live? See #5

View them as a threat to your belief system? Hardly...I'm very secure in my belief system.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Hate them?
Love them?
Respect them?
View them with scorn?
Could care less what they believe?
Agree to disagree?
Live and let live?
View them as a threat to your belief system?
If that's what a person wants to believe, great. Good on 'em. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 11-09-2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Generalization of all atheists. Many are very sincere in being on websites that pertain to religion, despite lack of belief

Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If that's what a person wants to believe, great. Good on 'em. Moderator cut: Orphaned
Congratulate yourself on changing your post so quickly. You are indeed fast. Though I was going to use it to illustrate my thoughts on atheists, which is that most of them are MUCH kinder towards their fellow man than some Christians.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-13-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Congratulate yourself on changing your post so quickly. You are indeed fast. Though I was going to use it to illustrate my thoughts on atheists, which is that most of them are MUCH kinder towards their fellow man than some Christians.
Thank you. I realized that what I said initially was mean-spirited and changed it. I apologize if it offended you.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
I apologize if it offended you.
Thank you but I wasn't offended as it wasn't directed towards me.

I think we've all thought better and changed posts. Being able to quickly edit a post can be quite handy.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. I realized that what I said initially was mean-spirited and changed it. I apologize if it offended you.
Quote:
Thank you but I wasn't offended as it wasn't directed towards me.
I think we've all thought better and changed posts. Being able to quickly edit a post can be quite handy.
I am reminded of an important step in dog training. Always allow them the opportunity to self-correct and reward it. It cements the training and increases the likelihood that it will be self-generated in the future. Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am reminded of an important step in dog training. Always allow them the opportunity to self-correct and reward it. It cements the training and increases the likelihood that it will be self-generated in the future. Just a thought.
Did you just call me a dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality