Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No, I'm not actually. Hell is nothing for me to fear. I chose to be saved.

No, I didn't. Unlike you, I've never had to look for evidence when I look at life, myself, and experienced the holy spirit as the testimony for everything I've ever believed in. Needing evidence is nothing but an inane talking point for people like you that have chosen not to believe. The Bible states it plainly. Even if the rich man in Hell could be risen from the dead and tell his brothers what happened, they still wouldn't believe.

Jesus has never been wrong. In the day of judgement, the only one going to be held accountable for your life is yourself.
You either misunderstand or are purposely being naive. Needing evidence is an inane talking point? So I need no evidence to say that bigfoot is real? Harry potter? Unicorns? You have as much evidence as these things but you choose to ignore lack of evidence. I call this a delusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
No, I didn't. Unlike you, I've never had to look for evidence when I look at life, myself, and experienced the holy spirit as the testimony for everything I've ever believed in. Needing evidence is nothing but an inane talking point for people like you that have chosen not to believe.
Keep stuffing the straw man with straw there son, but the truth is that we have not chosen not to believe. The proposition has come to us devoid of even a modicum of substantiation and people like myself are therefore simply incapable of believing.

What it is about you that makes your credulity so labile as to be clickable like a switch I do not know. But I CAN tell you that I lack that attribute and I fail to believe there is a god not because I have chosen to as you falsely paint it with such fetid desperation..... but because you and your theist cohorts have failed at EVERY single turn to provide anything that lends the claim even a modicum of credence.

There quite simply is nothing on offer, much less so from you, to think any of this stuff.... from god, to hell to judgement day..... exists anywhere outside your own wanton run away fantasy world.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
So no, what you say is not 100% true. In fact so far it appears everything you say is 100% false. Egregiously so. Especially the veiled non-committal hell threat which you are trying to paint as a non threat.
It isn't a threat at all. It's a real place that people choose to go to because they don't want God. And unfortunately, I've read many people say that's exactly where they want to go. When you die, whoever you belong to, comes for you. No one is sent there. God desires all to come to him and live in Heaven with him. Otherwise, he wouldn't have sent Jesus here to die on the cross to save us.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
What it is about you that makes your credulity so labile as to be clickable like a switch I do not know. But I CAN tell you that I lack that attribute and I fail to believe there is a god not because I have chosen to as you falsely paint it with such fetid desperation..... but because you and your theist cohorts have failed at EVERY single turn to provide anything that lends the claim even a modicum of credence.
Me and my "theist" have nothing to do with your personal life and choices. I never relied on anyone else to lead me to Christ. I chose him all on my own. You can continue to play the victim and blame others for your choices but you will held solely responsible for your life in the end.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
It isn't a threat at all.
Yes. It is. It is an emotional method to cajole people into believing otherwise unsubstantiated claims. Painting it as a choice is no more convincing than a mugger saying he is not threatening you with a knife, but giving you the choice as to whether you want to be impaled on it.

Thankfully, as I said, you have offered no reason to think any of it is true, so the threat itself is moot from the outset.

Quote:
It's a real place
Says you. But unsubstantiated fantasy is just that: Unsubstantiated fantasy. You have not given, or even attempted to give, even the first iota of a reason to take it as anything but fantasy nonsense you simply imagine to be true for the sake of it.

Quote:
Otherwise, he wouldn't have sent Jesus here to die on the cross to save us.
Another event there is no reason to think true. And even if the fairy tale was true as it is told then the Jesus character did not die. He traded up in infinitesimally short human life which ended in a bout of relatively mild torture in exchange for an eternal life of bliss and dominion. Hardly the death or sacrifice you are trying to propaganda paint it as, huh?

Quote:
Me and my "theist" have nothing to do with your personal life and choices.
No. Nor has this thread given, as I keep saying, my lack of belief in god is not a result of a choice but a result of my inability to choose to believe claims that are not just slightly but ENTIRELY unsubstantiated. Nor am I "playing the victim" in this as you again falsely paint it with wanton and fetid desperation. I am merely stating a fact about myself for your consumption. A fact that is not only true, but relevant to the actual topic of the thread.

Once again as I said: I do not know what it is about you that makes your credulity so labile as to be clickable like a switch. All I know to be true is that this is an attribute we simply do not share and my current belief or lack of it on ANY subject is based on the substantiation that is there, or absent. It is never, and has never been, a choice.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Another event there is no reason to think true.
And this is why I don't bother engaging. It's pointless when you don't believe in the first place. Bye.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
Quote:
And this is why I don't bother engaging. It's pointless when you don't believe in the first place. Bye.
Why don't you tell us all what evidence you have? My mind is open. Show me something credible, maybe my mind will be blown. Make me a believer.
Oh, and don't use the Bible as evidence, or personal experiences, as the Bible is evidence of nothing, and personal experiences only mean something to you.

Last edited by ImissThe90's; 11-13-2013 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Sonnenwende I'm intrigued to know what answer you found that was neither theism or atheism?
I'd be most interested to hear if you feel like sharing.
I was surprised to learn there was a third path in non-dualism, specifically guided by the ancient Hindu philosophy of advaita vedanta. There is no god, but there is an ultimate reality. It's not everyone's cup of tea by far, but I found it answered a lot of my questions about the nature of the world to my satisfaction in a way other religions and philosophies simply couldn't.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times
Yes, you can choose anything in theory but how genuine is your faith is another thing.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I was surprised to learn there was a third path in non-dualism, specifically guided by the ancient Hindu philosophy of advaita vedanta. There is no god, but there is an ultimate reality. It's not everyone's cup of tea by far, but I found it answered a lot of my questions about the nature of the world to my satisfaction in a way other religions and philosophies simply couldn't.
That's wonderful Sonnenwende. I'm glad you found something that works for you.
I learnt something new today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality