Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM

124 posts, read 153,732 times

Advertisements

This sounds unusual, but I think God or somebody else hates my guts because I was born in the time and place I was born in, I feel this way because my generation sucks and it's not going to get any better. We have unstoppable machinery and robots replacing future people's jobs, we have to be emotionally adaptive and fast-paced to keep up, people are cruel, everything is in a mess and it's too late to fix. Christians are going to tell me that in Heaven, when I get there, will be sorrow and pain no more. Two things: If what Christians share as the idea of heaven, I don't want to go. Period. And second, what we know of it is unknowable, we are only given a tip that it's supposed to be no more pain and suffering. Being that it's unknowable, it is a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 05:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
If you want to change your world view, change your perspective.

You're finding the dark clouds lurking around the silver linings.

Move, get a new job, take a class, volunteer at a food bank, learn a new skill, take up a hobby.

You get the drift.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
This sounds unusual, but I think God or somebody else hates my guts because I was born in the time and place I was born in, I feel this way because my generation sucks and it's not going to get any better. We have unstoppable machinery and robots replacing future people's jobs, we have to be emotionally adaptive and fast-paced to keep up, people are cruel, everything is in a mess and it's too late to fix. Christians are going to tell me that in Heaven, when I get there, will be sorrow and pain no more. Two things: If what Christians share as the idea of heaven, I don't want to go. Period. And second, what we know of it is unknowable, we are only given a tip that it's supposed to be no more pain and suffering. Being that it's unknowable, it is a moot point.

Which time period would you have preferred ? Technological advancements have been going on FOREVER replacing Jobs. Not too long ago, people died from simple infections, things like syphilis and TB were death sentences.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
I believe there are very few people in the entire history of Mankind that have not felt like that. Some labels may be different for different eras and locations, but the thought seems to be ageless.

We each have had to come to terms with what we see as the short comings of our generation and culture.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
This sounds unusual, but I think God or somebody else hates my guts
Maybe god does hate your guts. Who knows? Anyway, you can't do anything about it, so you might as well try to enjoy every day of like that you have.

Quote:
If what Christians share as the idea of heaven, I don't want to go. Period.
Unfortunately, you do not have a choice. A greater power will decide where you will go after you die. In the meantime, have a nice life.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The universal faith believe that everyone goes to heaven , which is not of the promise of Christ, ,,So if people do not want to even try to go the Jesus and find Heaven than God give people that free will to ignore God and he will ignore those people , and any blessing from God would rain on the land and air for their breath . ..... Which could be changing as the climate change because of faithless to God makes it rain less as the polar have less snow , and the air has more carbon ..... As far as the economies of the world are concerned , which have been dominated by greed and covetousness, which is also an alien spiritual forces which do not come from the living God ....Were the nations are turning to abandon the labor and undercut labor with free trade deals , and will outsourcing to nations which labor is cheaper

Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
The idea that someone cares enough to punish you in some cosmic sense is just a back-handed way to feel significant.

You are born, like everyone else, into some random family and place and time to experience some random things. To the extent you are not born into poverty, war, and pestilence, and had parents who fed and sheltered you, particularly if this happened in our advanced technological society, even if you WERE being punished, you aren't being punished as much as some others are.

There is no one at the controls (and no controls), no punisher, no rewarder. Just the luck of the draw, which is ultimately irrelevant because you have to do what everyone has always had to do and will always have to do: adjust, cope, adapt with whatever you find at hand and in whatever situation you find yourself.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
So if people do not want to even try to go the Jesus and find Heaven than God give people that free will to ignore God and he will ignore those people
The Muslims have a much better view.

They try to do what they believe their god wants them to do, but they do not say their god will ignore unbelievers. They say their god will make his own decision about which spirits go to heaven.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If you want to change your world view, change your perspective.

You're finding the dark clouds lurking around the silver linings.

Move, get a new job, take a class, volunteer at a food bank, learn a new skill, take up a hobby.

You get the drift.

Good luck.
Just pretend I said this ! ))) Great advice!!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I believe there are very few people in the entire history of Mankind that have not felt like that. Some labels may be different for different eras and locations, but the thought seems to be ageless.

We each have had to come to terms with what we see as the short comings of our generation and culture.
But there are some fundamental differences this time. I do not envy my children's generation. For the first time in centuries the "next generation" faces a lower standard of living than the present one. The earth is being ruined in ways that are beyond the imagination of the 19th century robber barons. The scale of destruction is appalling. No only are the rain forests being cut down but the soil beneath them is being turned inside out. And the human population is adding a billion every 35 years.

I won't mention climate change.

Robots and drones. No privacy. Limited freedom. Machines that are smarter and more powerful that humans. No need to work. Idleness as the norm.

I can understand what the OP is talking about. Am thankful that I lived and am living in my period of time. I fear for my grandchildren and the world (if it still exists) they will face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality