Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

The LDS (Mormon) Church is currently providing temporary shelter to more than 14,000 displaced persons in 200 Church buildings. It is also working with the Philippine government and other organizations to distribute food, water, etc. to the many individuals affected by this tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,447,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I don't believe in altruism. If a person in front of me asks for money, I'll hand some out, maybe.

But there is no moral need to help others. We are afterall, all gonna die, and death might bring a relief from pain in nothingness, a better world, or a new rebirth. So, how do we know it isn't for the better not to help others in this life?
I help because I'd want to be helped.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Helping a fellow being in distress is simply the right thing to do.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:01 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
How a believer dispenses His resources, is not bound to the directive of man, but of God .
To do giving with out His instruction can be just as disobedient .
One may resent the fact that religious folk share their faith as well, but the fact of the matter is they do not do it to gather more wealth, but to be obedient to help and give more than physical assistance so people can flourish, not just survive the moment.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Sorry, I am still too pissed by some certain racist asians. When I forgive their violent actions against me I will start to make charity again. Those people who would get my help would be my possible haters if life would be without this catastrophe. Maybe I would donate exactly to these certain racist people therefore I must decline.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Sorry, I am still too pissed by some certain racist asians. When I forgive their violent actions against me I will start to make charity again. Those people who would get my help would be my possible haters if life would be without this catastrophe. Maybe I would donate exactly to these certain racist people therefore I must decline.
Hate may hurt its target sometimes but it always hurts the hater.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
To take out your checkbook and do what you can to help the human beings in the Philippines who are victims of a natural disaster.

I challenge you to do it, because it is the right thing to do. People are displaced, starving, injured, and supplies are running out.
I challenge you to look up your favorite charity, Red Cross, CARE, Catholic charities, and many others to find out how and where to send a check in.
Every donation of a few dollars adds up.

I have already written a check.

I bring this up and post it on the religion and spirituality section as an appeal to the religious the humanists those who care about making our world a better place.

Involvement is optional this is not an obligation, this is a challenge. Do you have the strength to put your money where your beliefs are, as so many others have done.

These are, after all, human beings. These are people who have hopes, dreams, fears, ideas, aspirations and love of their families just as we do. They are victims of nature. If we care, we can prove it.
And we do, and we will.

We don't need a "challenge" to help those in need and we certainly do not feel the "need" to announce what we do on a public forum for the accolades......

Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
You know, I realize there are some people who cannot let go of their hatred for others but at the same time we must all remember that we are all human beings, we are all brothers and sisters under the same sky and when one brother or sister or child is suffering from some natural disaster and we are in a position to offer help and aid in some form or other, then it is our responsibility, as human beings to put aside our hatred and offer assistance to those in need where we can. osay

Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know, I realize there are some people who cannot let go of their hatred for others but at the same time we must all remember that we are all human beings, we are all brothers and sisters under the same sky and when one brother or sister or child is suffering from some natural disaster and we are in a position to offer help and aid in some form or other, then it is our responsibility, as human beings to put aside our hatred and offer assistance to those in need where we can. osay
The Yogananda said that we should take the love we feel for the one or two people who are closest to us, and then magnify it and spread it out to EVERYONE.
This would say that all Humans, by virtue of humanity and need, are worthy of unconditional love, not only those of a particular race creed or faith. .

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM

27 posts, read 26,140 times
I have indeed. UNICEF was my choice https://secure.unicefusa.org/site/Do...m_campaign=usf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality