U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 PM

6,904 posts, read 4,345,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You don't believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause? Heathen.
I AM the Easter Bunny!...and though I'm not Santa Claus, I have played him.

Actually...I really have played Santa.
Somewhere in all my posts I think I told the story.
You want REAL "mojo"? Show up into a room full of little kids as Santa! It was actually one of the coolest afternoons of my life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 AM

6,904 posts, read 4,345,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I AM the Easter Bunny!...and though I'm not Santa Claus, I have played him.

Actually...I really have played Santa.
Somewhere in all my posts I think I told the story.
You want REAL "mojo"? Show up into a room full of little kids as Santa! It was actually one of the coolest afternoons of my life.
I found it...from 3 1/2 yrs ago:

Back about 15 yrs ago the manager at my club, his sister (who was the barmaid), and a bunch of the girls that were Mothers, asked me if I would be Santa Claus at a Christmas party they were having for the kids. I agreed...but only if they got me a professional costume with professional padding and a really good beard made of natural hair...the works. I told every mother to wrap a gift for their kid, and write down a "naughty" thing they do...and a "nice" thing they do.

You want true POWER and EXALTATION...show up as Santa Claus in a room full of kids.

Since I knew every kids name (unlike the other Santa's at the dept store), what they did, both "good" and "bad" (I complimented the good behavior and counseled them to discontinue the bad)...and even came across with a toy (that they had asked for) that "I had the elves make early for them"....they were CONVINCED (they had, what was to them, empirical evidence) I was REALLY Santa. I didn't leave right away...I "dwelt among them" for a time. They were soooo happy...Telling me "I love you Santa Claus", and hugging me, and offering me cookies. I told them I loved them too...and that it was important for them to be good...the parents told me weeks later they were STILL better behaved then they had ever been. They weren't responding to "Santa" or the toys...they were responding to the attention, the care & concern, and mostly the love.

That couple hours was two of the best in my life.

For those who don't know it...true belief in God can give you that same feeling those kids had...ALL THE TIME.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 AM

31,900 posts, read 33,300,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

So Jungian archetypes are completely invalid simply because you say so? Reality is GOD, so says the Tao te Ching, Gnostic Gospels, Upanishads etc. Go look at early posts where I quotes the exact texts (assuming you can understand them)

And again, the question no Dawkin's Witness wants to answer:

A chemical reaction in your brain is not love. It is a chemical reaction. I will stop using the Jungian archetype of GOD as a metaphor for ultimate reality when you cease referring to the chemical reaction in your brain as "love."

For your own benefit I would suggest you not ponder my question. I would hate for your head to hurt.
For your info every emotion and thought you have including your belief in whatever, is a chemical reaction in your brain.

Brain chemistry is the sum of all the chemical messaging that takes place in the brain, which allows it to carry out its daily functions, such as generating movement, speaking, thinking, listening, regulating the systems of the body, and countless others. Brain Chemistry (Neurochemistry) - body, causes, Out of Balance

Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 AM

5,926 posts, read 3,616,171 times
Quote:
A chemical reaction in your brain is not love.
That's a bit like saying a chemical reaction that caused an explosion really wasn't an explosion.

I'm fully aware that people do not want to believe that how they feel is nothing but chemicals mixing in their brains - but it is. You're not going to find any "deeper meanings" here no matter how many spiritual text you trot out for us to read.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM

44,544 posts, read 29,144,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
That's a bit like saying a chemical reaction that caused an explosion really wasn't an explosion.
I'm fully aware that people do not want to believe that how they feel is nothing but chemicals mixing in their brains - but it is. You're not going to find any "deeper meanings" here no matter how many spiritual text you trot out for us to read.
I find this kind of reductionism of our very being . . . our SELF . . . to be absurd. Our sense of being is the only thing we actually experience that is incontrovertible. It determines what we feel. Everything is the result of brain processes . . . but that does NOT make them the brain processes. The inputs to a production process are NOT the product.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I find this kind of reductionism of our very being . . . our SELF . . . to be absurd. Our sense of being is the only thing we actually experience that is incontrovertible. It determines what we feel. Everything is the result of brain processes . . . but that does NOT make them the brain processes. The inputs to a production process are NOT the product.
Sure, I agree that our consciousness and our self-awareness is quite an awsome phenomena when one sits down and tries to ponder it. However, that doesn't make this so-called "reductionism" absurd. I understand that many spiritual and deity-believing people are extremely opposed to the idea that our emotions are triggered by chemical reactions - but until there is some evidence that says otherwise, that is precisely what is going on.

All we have to do is look at the converse of normal behavior - people are are dubbed "insane" and experience entire realities that aren't there. The brain is one of the last great frontiers of human knowledge, and by ascribing some sort of supernatural explanation to that which is unknown is merely falling into the same knowledge trap that our ancestors have succumbed to.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Duplicate.

Last edited by Shirina; 11-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: A demon possessed me and forced me to write a nasty post.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:52 PM

44,544 posts, read 29,144,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Sure, I agree that our consciousness and our self-awareness is quite an awsome phenomena when one sits down and tries to ponder it. However, that doesn't make this so-called "reductionism" absurd. I understand that many spiritual and deity-believing people are extremely opposed to the idea that our emotions are triggered by chemical reactions - but until there is some evidence that says otherwise, that is precisely what is going on.
You miss the point, Shirina. Of course emotions are triggered by chemical reaction . . . but that doesn't make what the reactions produce just chemical reactions! Our very being and sense of Self is produced by chemical reactions in the brain . . . that does not make us just chemical reactions! If you are willing to reject your very own existence as mere chemical reactions . . . we are not remotely on the same wavelength about reality.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:01 PM

5,460 posts, read 6,157,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You don't believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause? Heathen.
Yep, they quite clearly exist. People can differ on their attributes, but their existence can not be questioned.

Hmm, that doesn't seem all that convincing. Maybe if I capitalize random words it will seem more authoritative.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:03 PM

5,460 posts, read 6,157,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I find this kind of reductionism of our very being . . . our SELF . . . to be absurd.
You also assert that it is illogical not to believe that god is a universal dark-energy powered consciousness field that sent Jesus to us. Your opinion on what is and isn't absurd may need some recalibration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality