Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,687 times

Advertisements

Why? One of the joys of atheism is being able to sleep in on Sunday.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,974,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
WOW. Where have I heard stuff like that bolded/underlined portion before?! Sounds familiar...very familiar.
Like I said...if the Atheists don't watch out...they can easily become just like what they now condemn.

Too late, many already have. So many are just as much a bunch of triumphalist as the fundamentalists are.

Don't believe in GOD? Don't like religion. Fine, I don't care. Just don't shove your disbelief down other people's throats.

I hate the concept of family and have not spoken to mine in years, do you see me advocating that family be voted out of existence and that references to family be removed to government property? No. I just laugh at the idiots who actually care about the parasites who brought them into this world and go about my business. If only all atheists could do the same.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,974,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Why? One of the joys of atheism is being able to sleep in on Sunday.

I agree 100%. Idiotic churches and avoiding them is one of the few good points Dawkin's Witnesses have, and here they go refuting their own good point.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I agree 100%. Idiotic churches and avoiding them is one of the few good points Dawkin's Witnesses have, and here they go refuting their own good point.
Well, well, well - aren't we all smug and superior today. I do look forward to the next snarky little insult - the kind you deny making - but judging by the nasty tone of your other posts, you probably think everyone else is just too stupid to notice your insults.

We do.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Too late, many already have. So many are just as much a bunch of triumphalist as the fundamentalists are.

Don't believe in GOD? Don't like religion. Fine, I don't care. Just don't shove your disbelief down other people's throats.

I hate the concept of family and have not spoken to mine in years, do you see me advocating that family be voted out of existence and that references to family be removed to government property? No. I just laugh at the idiots who actually care about the parasites who brought them into this world and go about my business. If only all atheists could do the same.
Probably the most persistent subliminal message we get from the believers of various stripe is that we should shut up, go back to bed and leave things as they are - with believers not being challenged.

That, I believe, is the strongest reason why we should carry on spreading the message that religion is bull, the Bible is bunk, and god -belief is infantile.

That you see us as arrogant doesn't bother us in the least.

That Goldenrule thinks that we are never going to make any inroads against the sordid mass of ingrained belief doesn't move us in the least.

We are going to carry on doing what we do, because it is right to do so, whether or not we succeed in the secular worldview being seen as the only rational and reasonable one.

I think we will succeed in the end, because the truth, will in the end, always come out. And we are always the better off with even uncomfortable truth, rather than comforting codswallop.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Probably the most persistent subliminal message we get from the believers of various stripe is that we should shut up, go back to bed and leave things as they are - with believers not being challenged.

That, I believe, is the strongest reason why we should carry on spreading the message that religion is bull, the Bible is bunk, and god -belief is infantile.

That you see us as arrogant doesn't bother us in the least.

That Goldenrule thinks that we are never going to make any inroads against the sordid mass of ingrained belief doesn't move us in the least.

We are going to carry on doing what we do, because it is right to do so, whether or not we succeed in the secular worldview being seen as the only rational and reasonable one.

I think we will succeed in the end, because the truth, will in the end, always come out. And we are always the better off with even uncomfortable truth, rather than comforting codswallop.
Ahhhhhhh yes...referring to the concepts/ideas that differ from your own as "bunk", "infantile", "the sordid mass", ""codswallop", etc....replete with the proclamation that your concepts are "truth", and if the "other side" takes exception it "doesn't bother us in the least".

Again...I've heard stuff exactly like that jillions of times. Guess where?

So...just like I said: Prima facie evidence that you've simply become EXACTLY what you have condemned.
But only the bad parts, like the ugly habit of critical reviling based upon bias and hate...with very few of the good parts like major charity work.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:21 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
Ahhhhhhh yes...referring to the concepts/ideas that differ from your own as "bunk", "infantile", "the sordid mass", ""codswallop", etc....replete with the proclamation that your concepts are "truth", and if the "other side" takes exception it "doesn't bother us in the least".

So...just like I said: Prima facie evidence that you've simply become EXACTLY what you have condemned.
But only the bad parts, like the ugly habit of critical reviling based upon bias and hate...with very few of the good parts like major charity work.
As much as I may enjoy Arequipa's posts, I don't recall ever voting for him/her to represent all atheists. Therefore, your attempts at demonizing atheists because of a few forum posts really doesn't hold a lot of water. In fact, you seem to be heavily critical of everything an atheist says around here, but you say virtually nothing about what the "other side" says. I'm starting to detect a certain amount of bias, especially for someone who claims to be neither atheist or religious.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:

The difference is between and what we 'condemn' (1) is that we are talking from evidence and sound reasoning and not from faith and appeal to numbers. That is why we are right to do what we do, not because we are convinced we are right because of our overweening belief that anything we believe must be right.

The 'Rice and Bibles' rhetoric won't work either. you cannot buy the truth with free soup. We are right because reason supports our view and not religion, and all the charitable effort in the world won't change that.

So we will keep doing our job, and doing it in various ways, and denunciation of Theist evolutionism, Zombie - marches with plastic trumpets, removing crosses, nativity scenes and carved commandments, wearing pirate costume to class or having atheist services in disused churches is perhaps annoying to the believers and not the way I'd go about it, but trying to make me feel unsettled and ashamed of being atheist by crafty suggestions that we have become religious ourselves (thanks at least for conceding that atheism isn't a religion from the start ) or trying to make me sound like some closed -minded ranter is really beside the point.

I do value your posts, Gldnrule mate, because you so well encapsulate all that is wrong - headed about the Religious case against atheism. It is all about smearing, innuendo, crafty accusations, red -herring references to who is winning the bums on seats or charitable donations tables - anything rather than look at the real rationale why atheism is correct, and apparently more and more people are coming to see it.

Keep up the poor work, Goldie.

(1) alsways slipping in the loaded term accusation. We 'argue against', rather than condemn.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Atheism is a religion and some Atheists are as intolerant as the Taliban folk.
A stunning demonstration of a complete lack of understanding about atheists. And I suspect that lack of understand is willful.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
I think when Atheists form a group and somebody claims to be a leader and money is collected it can then be considered some type of religion in a warped sort of way.
Take away the money and it's just a social club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.