U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM

19,972 posts, read 21,568,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am told Dawkins the Pope of Atheism enjoys Christmas Carols and a well done Ave María.
What's not to enjoy about a tuneful song?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM

72,101 posts, read 38,473,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The L.A. group hasn't built anything. They meet in the Musician's Union hall in Hollywood. Which can be rented by anyone. They aren't a church. They're a group of atheists who gather together as a congregation. What was missing in their lives was the chance to get together. They now have that. More power to 'em if it makes for a pleasant morning.
They call it a church.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM

32,525 posts, read 32,455,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They call it a church.
Which seems to bother you.

I checked the website of the L.A. group. They don't use the word "church". They are the Sunday Assembly. They're also collecting donation$ to help the people in the Philippines. Isn't that wonderful?

Hold the phone, they also support Tree People. A group I support as well. Rock on, Sunday Assembly.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM

72,101 posts, read 38,473,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Which seems to bother you.
Not at all. They are confused about the word "church", and it does not bother me.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 AM

17,579 posts, read 41,664,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They call it a church.
Who calls it a church?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,064,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Atheism is a religion and some Atheists are as intolerant as the Taliban folk.
You took the words right out of my mouth. But you can't lump all atheists together. These are evangelical atheists - the worst kind - just as it is with Bible-eans - the fundies are always the worst. I know some atheists who would not be caught dead at such a gathering anymore than I would be caught dead (<----just an idiom or turn of phrase) at a fundamentalist Christian church.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,064,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Buildings are unnecessary, it's a matter of the heart.
They sure are. And a huge tax haven. I think the churches should obey Jesus and pay property taxes in order to help support the local communities of which they take from the commons of roads, bridges, city or county water, etc... They are robbing the people at large by having tax havens. Why do you suppose the churches are exempt from paying property taxes and certainly exempt from income taxes as well. What s sweet deal they have with the devil! Jesus said to do otherwise.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,688,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Who calls it a church?
read the article from Yahoo news
Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 PM

17,579 posts, read 41,664,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
read the article (link)
Sounds like the article does. On their website I didn't see them use the word church once.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,688,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Sounds like the article does. On their website I didn't see them use the word church once.
maybe the article writer GILLIAN FLACCUS actually did some reporting with "boots on the ground" instead of relying solely on a web site and reported of that being stated.

From the report:
Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors
have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in
Great Britain earlier this year.
No doubt when their hypocrisy over shadows the mockery of the moment ... the fools will get the word out to their supporters to not be saying "church".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality