Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM

76,823 posts, read 47,136,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They worship nothing, obviously. Did you not read your own link? They get together and sing and enjoy being with each other.

Is that a problem?
I didn't' say it's a problem, just weird that you'd build a Christian place of worship, without having anything to worship. Looks like that realize there is something missing from their lives.

Church = a building used for public Christian worship / the whole body of Christians

It's like a bunch of vegetarians building in a steakhouse, but refusing to eat anything. They just look at the menu and shake their heads in disbelief.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-12-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,155,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't' say it's a problem, just weird that you'd build a Christian place of worship, without having anything to worship. Looks like they realize there is something missing from their lives.

Church = a building used for public Christian worship / the whole body of Christians
Buildings are unnecessary, it's a matter of the heart.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,869,032 times
I am a lifelong Atheist and the idea of an 'Atheist church' is very strange to me. I have no desire to attend one.

However, I think many current Atheists were Theists at one time and some were even very active in their place of worship. Maybe they miss the big gatherings of people with similar beliefs, so an Atheist church has some appeal to them.

I know of one lady who converted to Judaism but still sung in the choir at ther former church. Christians really do have a talent for creating absolutely beautiful music.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Buildings are unnecessary, it's a matter of the heart.
Sure, a church is really a body of Christ (believers), which still does not answer why atheists would call themselves 'church".

Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,266,844 times
The problem with some atheists is that they think they know. It would be better to simply be an agnostic.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The problem with some atheists is that they think they know. It would be better to simply be an agnostic.
I guess they simply do not realize "church" means the body of Christ. These atheist 'churches' are simply a place for them to hang out. They might as well call it a gym, or library, although they don't go there to read books or to exercise.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It isn't one or the other. They can certainly be both.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,440,720 times
one thing you gotta give the atheist credit for. they will probably be more civilized than most christian mega churches. the atheist wont be begging for a sowing of the seed, lying that that the members gotta give 10% or be damned, nor will they be rolling on the floor and shaking uncontrollably like Pentecostals. they might actually be an example for many of the christian mega churches. .
I know that most teach about God, but how many people there, like the atheist, are gathering just to be with friends and have a good time.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
That David Paterson needs to be booted out of the pulpit immediately. He's not qualified to be a pastor, according to the book that he had on his lap. But if he wants to get together with a group of wannabe religious folks and sing about the great cosmic accident? That's their choice.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't' say it's a problem, just weird that you'd build a Christian place of worship, without having anything to worship. Looks like that realize there is something missing from their lives.

The L.A. group hasn't built anything. They meet in the Musician's Union hall in Hollywood. Which can be rented by anyone. They aren't a church. They're a group of atheists who gather together as a congregation. What was missing in their lives was the chance to get together. They now have that. More power to 'em if it makes for a pleasant morning.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-13-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality