Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Tell me Vizio what is that evil book on his lap that upsets you so?
I never said anything about an evil book. The man was clutching a Bible. The Bible gives specific qualifications to be a pastor or elder--specifically that he is a believer. If this guy doesn't believe, he's not qualified. There are a lot of jobs that have basic requirements to do them. If I go to a doctor, I expect him to know the job. Likewise, if I go to talk to a pastor, I expect he knows what it's like to believe and worship the God he's talking about.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I never said anything about an evil book. The man was clutching a Bible. The Bible gives specific qualifications to be a pastor or elder--specifically that he is a believer.
I have never believed in a god or in Superman (however, Spiderman is a different story), but I think the Christian bible has some very good moral lessons in it and I even bought one a few years ago.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I never said anything about an evil book. The man was clutching a Bible. The Bible gives specific qualifications to be a pastor or elder--specifically that he is a believer. If this guy doesn't believe, he's not qualified.
So he doesn't pass the Vizio test.

I highly doubt he'd be worried if you told him he's not qualified to be a fundamentalist pastor. In fact, he'd probably agree.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So he doesn't pass the Vizio test.
He doesn't pass the basic requirements of the job. It's no different than any other job--there are basic requirements that one has to pass in order to get the job.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
He doesn't pass the basic requirements of the job. It's no different than any other job--there are basic requirements that one has to pass in order to get the job.
Yet he has the job. So it seems something in your post is wrong. He either has the basic requirements since he appears to actually have the job or what you consider the basic requirements are not the same as whoever gave him that job.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:20 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Yet he has the job. So it seems something in your post is wrong. He either has the basic requirements since he appears to actually have the job or what you consider the basic requirements are not the same as whoever gave him that job.
If he's running an "atheist church" then he's not preaching about god so he doesn't need those creds. He is basically promoting secular humanism.

This movement was started by a UK comedian, IIRC, but one thing I will side with Vizio on is that if this is starting to become serious rather than some kind of parody or joke, and they are going to offer counseling and the other sorts of things people tend to associate with "church", then their leadership should pass through some kind of vetting process and accountability. And thus begins the bureaucratization of another grassroots movement. Which is another reason I think this sort of thing is a waste of time.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
He doesn't pass the basic requirements of the job.
Oh.

Well then, I guess that settles it. Who tells him he's getting the boot? Because if you're stating that he's not qualified I assume the next step is to let his Boss know he's not up to snuff. Which might come as a surprise to the Boss. (And I'm not talking about Springsteen.)

Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
obviously, the person(s) doing the hiring made a big mistake.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
obviously, the person(s) doing the hiring made a big mistake.
I thought we'd settled that. You've decided he isn't qualified and the Boss made a big mistake. Perhaps you should send the Boss a letter and let him know you've got a major problem with this man sitting in that chair, holding a Bible, and talking about love and brotherhood. Since you seem to not like that.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-14-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I thought we'd settled that. You've decided he isn't qualified and the Boss made a big mistake. Perhaps you should send the Boss a letter and let him know you've got a major problem with this man sitting in that chair, holding a Bible, and talking about love and brotherhood. Since you seem to not like that.
Seriously? Why do you always do that? What's with the cheap shot ad hominem? You seem to be pretty good at those. What have I said that is unloving? Have I suggested that we shouldn't be united in Christ?

This guy flat out said he doesn't believe in God. Why would you, for a second, consider that he's anything but a fraud by being in a position where he is to tend to God's flock? And why would you, for a second, consider anyone to be a big meanie because they actually make the observation that he is unfit for the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality