Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,044,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Do YOU respect the beliefs of other people?
Of course I do! Oh, my goodness, yes, I respect the beliefs of others. I know Rastafarians for pity's sake. And atheists! Real hard-core types who would go to the Sunday Assembly and sing and have a good time and enjoy a bit of fun and brotherhood and get the joke.

I cannot be responsible for those who don't.

(The Rastafarians do, BTW. They lack the "must accuse and manipulate" gene so prevalent among some who follow Western religions, Which allows the Rastafarians to actually have a good time while they make their journeys around the sun. Well ....that and their spiritual use of a certain botanical.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-15-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM

16,604 posts, read 15,544,920 times
Quote:
That David Paterson needs to be booted out of the pulpit immediately. He's not qualified to be a pastor, according to the book that he had on his lap. But if he wants to get together with a group of wannabe religious folks and sing about the great cosmic accident? That's their choice.
Assuming that the book is a Bible, so what? If he's leading an atheist congregation, he doesn't care what is n that book. It's not holy to him. Now, since you said he's not qualified, maybe you can tell us what the qualifications are for a person to lead a group of atheists.

Quote:
I never said anything about an evil book. The man was clutching a Bible. The Bible gives specific qualifications to be a pastor or elder--specifically that he is a believer. If this guy doesn't believe, he's not qualified. There are a lot of jobs that have basic requirements to do them. If I go to a doctor, I expect him to know the job. Likewise, if I go to talk to a pastor, I expect he knows what it's like to believe and worship the God he's talking about.
Why would this guy care what the Bible says about anything? He's not leading any kind of Christian organization. Anybody going to talk to him in his role (it may not be considered a pastor role) is not expecting to talk about believing or worship of anything.

Quote:
He doesn't pass the basic requirements of the job. It's no different than any other job--there are basic requirements that one has to pass in order to get the job.
Just what ARE the basic requirements of the job of leading an atheist organization. If you don't know what the requirements are for an atheist leader, how do you know he isn't qualified?

Quote:
..... Have I suggested that we shouldn't be united in Christ?

This guy flat out said he doesn't believe in God. Why would you, for a second, consider that he's anything but a fraud by being in a position where he is to tend to God's flock? And why would you, for a second, consider anyone to be a big meanie because they actually make the observation that he is unfit for the job?
OK. The atheist leader guy said he doesn't believe in God. What did you expect him to say? I contend there is nothing fraudulent in what he does. His congregation is not God's flock. Each and every one of them has decided they do not believe in any god(s). How did you decide he is unfit for the job?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,021,055 times
Vizio is talking about the preacher (priest? whatever he is) that is interviewed in the video. Not the guy leading the atheist meeting.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,615,913 times
These "Sunday Get-Together" gatherings...at whatever you wanna call the joint they gather at...sound really COOL!
Anybody with a problem about it is coming from a biased viewpoint.
People have all kinds of different perceptions, concepts, and ideas...and that makes for an interesting world.
There is no good reason to think they shouldn't fellowship...or that it is a negative thing.
I hope they prosper and have a wonderful time!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,115,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If that were true, God would be a petty, flawed and weak God . . . plagued by the human psychological weaknesses we are heir to . . . as revealed by Cain's reaction to disappointment by punishing Abel. No. That is a sick and perverted nonsensical rationalization designed to retain belief in the savage jealous, angry, vengeful War God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifice so He wouldn't torture us forever . . . and then somehow twist it instead into Love for us all.
Or maybe he's bigger than you think. He is Holy and Just. On the other hand, he's loving and kind--so much so that he'd die in order to reconcile his people to him.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Assuming that the book is a Bible, so what? If he's leading an atheist congregation, he doesn't care what is n that book. It's not holy to him. Now, since you said he's not qualified, maybe you can tell us what the qualifications are for a person to lead a group of atheists.

Why would this guy care what the Bible says about anything? He's not leading any kind of Christian organization. Anybody going to talk to him in his role (it may not be considered a pastor role) is not expecting to talk about believing or worship of anything.

Just what ARE the basic requirements of the job of leading an atheist organization. If you don't know what the requirements are for an atheist leader, how do you know he isn't qualified?

OK. The atheist leader guy said he doesn't believe in God. What did you expect him to say? I contend there is nothing fraudulent in what he does. His congregation is not God's flock. Each and every one of them has decided they do not believe in any god(s). How did you decide he is unfit for the job?
As manderly pointed out, you're confused. I'm talking about the priest that was sitting in a chair holding a Bible. He is an atheist and claims he never believed in God--but he is in the ministry, pretending to be a believer.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Of course I do! Oh, my goodness, yes, I respect the beliefs of others. I know Rastafarians for pity's sake. And atheists! Real hard-core types who would go to the Sunday Assembly and sing and have a good time and enjoy a bit of fun and brotherhood and get the joke.

I cannot be responsible for those who don't.

(The Rastafarians do, BTW. They lack the "must accuse and manipulate" gene so prevalent among some who follow Western religions, Which allows the Rastafarians to actually have a good time while they make their journeys around the sun. Well ....that and their spiritual use of a certain botanical.)
You claim you respect other's beliefs. Yet, you've personally attacked and insulted me on a number of occasions because I disagree with you.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,044,940 times
Quote:
Yet, you've personally attacked and insulted me on a number of occasions because I disagree with you.
Hmmm.... that's the third time in this thread you've made that accusation. I'm beginning to feel I'm under attack.

I think I'll follow Jesus and turn the other cheek.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm.... that's the third time in this thread you've made that accusation. I'm beginning to feel I'm under attack.

I think I'll follow Jesus and turn the other cheek.
If it makes you a nicer person, good.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,616,571 times
It must be rough to be so persecuted by the atheists.

Well manderly6, it has been happening a lot. And DON'T make me go and pull up a bunch of news articles from different sources to prove to you that it is and has. You know well what I am talking about. Removal of religious symbols from every public area of life. Halting prayer in institutions where it has been held for decades if not centuries. Just to name a few. Just because some atheist claims to be offended. If you don't know you've had your head buried in the sand. And please don't give me that "separation of church and state" garbage that isn't even in the constitution (U.S). I say "maybe now they will leave us alone" but it won't happen. The atheists and such won't be happy until every last Christian and the like, is gone, banished from the face of the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality