Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

I wonder that they do in these atheist churches... What do they worship?

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Several hundred people, including families with small children, packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational talk and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God.

Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in Great Britain earlier this year. The movement fueled by social media and spearheaded by two prominent British comedians is no joke.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Atheism is a religion and some Atheists are as intolerant as the Taliban folk.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Atheism is a religion and some Atheists are as intolerant as the Taliban folk.
But if they do not believe there is a God, then what do they worship in these 'churches'? Themselves maybe?

Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But if they do not believe there is a God, then what do they worship in these 'churches'? Themselves maybe?
that's been man's problem since the beginning of time. We all love to worship the almighty "Me".

Old 11-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Even Atheists have a soul. They actually have the same needs as Christians. I am told Dawkins the Pope of Atheism enjoys Christmas Carols and a well done Ave María.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I wonder that they do in these atheist churches... What do they worship?
They worship nothing, obviously. Did you not read your own link? They get together and sing and enjoy being with each other.

Is that a problem?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They worship nothing, obviously. Did you not read your own link? They get together and sing and enjoy being with each other.

Is that a problem?
Atheists have the same needs as theists.

These folks also have a creed: Just like our Nicene creed.

Quote:
An Atheist's Creed

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.

See this video here: These folks are no different than Pentecostals

The Sunday Assembly Atheist Church, and The Reverend Who Does Not Believe in God - YouTube

Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Oh my! Atheist have a belief system! I am sure the ones here will take issue with that in spite of the facts.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Is that a problem?
Exactly. It seems from the link they are a bunch of like minded folk meeting together, and filling a void for those who were formerly part of the Christian church community. It also said they were not meeting to bash believers, so you would think comments like "worshipping almighty "me" would not heard there. Most atheists on this forum are pretty much respectful apart from the odd ones who have walked away from their former faith in the bible and now pro active in denouncing everything to do with faith.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
You know, I'm an atheist but, I have to say this sounds an unbelievably immense waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oh my! Atheist have a belief system! I am sure the ones here will take issue with that in spite of the facts.
I once heard Dr Laura say to an atheist/agnostic, "so you believe in nothing?" I would correct her by submitting that I don't engage in the action of 'believing' at all. I know or don't know; believing in fantasizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality