Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I think he is voicing what many churchgoers really believe but are afraid to speak out. Gays burning in hell, Muslims burning, etc.... The only exception would be the protest of funerals.
How many Christians want to bomb the hell out of the Middle East ? How many would love to see them removed from the country? Let's not even talk about how they feel about those gay folks. Phelps is just openly expressing himself.
Not many who follow Christ. Those who follow Christ know that God is in control and allows things to happen. Those who follow Christ do not concern ourselves with gays or Muslims. Love is the way of Christ. Please even tho you may have personal issues with Christianity, don't indulge yourself to paint with a broad brush. Phelps is an agent of Satan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I feel they have a right to their beliefs and everybody needs to simply ignore them if they offend you so much. I really don't understand how a non-violent group of people can spur so much angst among the country. My theory is perhaps their words affect the people who read them so much because they feel it's true deep down inside or something. I get my knowledge from the Bible so when people like that get air time and get the public in a tizzy, I don't pay it any mind because I know my God and I know the word and they are clearly not following it. And I move on. Why can't the rest of America?
I find it...I really can't find the proper word to describe how I feel that anyone would give the family cult called the Westborough Baptist Church a pass or say it is fine in what they say or do. IMO they are an agent of Satan with the purpose to give those who believe in Christ a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
Default chaos

my guess is the members all grew up in very violent chaotic families so they have a lot anger in them.of course they love the attention which unfortunatly we give them too much of.the angrier we get at them the more the love it, they literally live off of it.unfortunatly our supreme court has deemed their sick behavior free speech so they can do as they please.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:11 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not many who follow Christ. Those who follow Christ know that God is in control and allows things to happen. Those who follow Christ do not concern ourselves with gays or Muslims. Love is the way of Christ. Please even tho you may have personal issues with Christianity, don't indulge yourself to paint with a broad brush. Phelps is an agent of Satan.

I find it...I really can't find the proper word to describe how I feel that anyone would give the family cult called the Westborough Baptist Church a pass or say it is fine in what they say or do. IMO they are an agent of Satan with the purpose to give those who believe in Christ a bad name.
I can google many example of preachers who give very hateful sermons about gays, Muslims, Jews... I don't think it is that broad of a brush. If folks like you were so conceded about how christians are being seen then you need to do something about these preachers spewing their Sunday hate.

One other thing, do you feel like christians are victims? Do you feel like they being treated unfairly just because people like me are just board and are looking for a group of folks to pick on?

I will be so glad when Christianity is finally put where it belongs, in the dustbin of the past, just to be some ancient relic.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I can google many example of preachers who give very hateful sermons about gays, Muslims, Jews... I don't think it is that broad of a brush. If folks like you were so conceded about how christians are being seen then you need to do something about these preachers spewing their Sunday hate.

One other thing, do you feel like christians are victims? Do you feel like they being treated unfairly just because people like me are just board and are looking for a group of folks to pick on?

I will be so glad when Christianity is finally put where it belongs, in the dustbin of the past, just to be some ancient relic.

It'll never happen...

Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It'll never happen...
Even here in JesusLand church attendance is down.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
my guess is the members all grew up in very violent chaotic families
Your guess would be quite correct. Fred Phelps' son has publicly stated that his father was abusive, violent and controlling.

My father, the hate preacher: Nate Phelps on escaping Westboro Baptist Church - Telegraph

Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
If there is a representation of pure hatred and offensiveness in this world, the Westboro Baptist Church is it.

Fred Phelps family and children have been nothing short of abused all their lives.

British journalist Louis Theroux made two documentaries in which he lived with this family, filmed 4 years apart.
The first documentary was called 'The most Hated family in America'.
4 years later he made 'The most Hated family in crisis'.

The most shocking part for me was seeing how this young boy, 11 year old Noah has been brainwashed: (about 35 seconds in to the video)

Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family IN CRISIS (3/4) - YouTube

This boy is going to be irreparably damaged his entire life.

Both documentaries are well worth a watch (see on Youtube).

Continually plastered on smiles from the entire family while simultaneously spouting messages about hatred for all aspects of life, is quite something to behold - how brainwashing can entirely manipulate the human mind.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:14 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Even as a Non-Christian I do not consider the Phelps of this world as being representatives of Christianity.

This world has many people like Fred Phelps they represent only them self. People like Fred Phelps are as much a danger to Christians as they are to non-Christians. They only call them self Christian because they live in a nation that is predominately Christian.

The responsibility Christians have is to not let Phelps think he is a Christian. He is a hate monger of the same mentality as any terrorist.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
Saying you are a Christian does not make you one. As the hackneyed saying goes, "you can stand in a garage and claim you are a corvette, but that does not make you one". Scripture has many passages that describes what a true (not perfect) believer looks like in their life. I've not seen any news of the Phelp's clan that stacks up against these scriptures. But then God will ultimately judge all. Why worry about it? It is of greater concern, to me that is, that supposedly people of faith (in Jesus Christ and His gospel) struggle so much in this world worrying about everything. No joy. No peace. No confidence. Following every news item and fretting over it. Scripture tells all these things will occur and will get worse. If the world, our neighbors, should see anything in believers, it is living above circumstances but as importantly seeing believers loving their neighbors as themselves. If you are hating your neighbor (racism for example) you are in danger of not being the christian you claim to be. We don't have to prove there is a God. We have no obligation to prove that. God does not need our help. But we are to be salt and light to a rather dark world.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I feel they have a right to their beliefs and everybody needs to simply ignore them if they offend you so much. I really don't understand how a non-violent group of people can spur so much angst among the country. My theory is perhaps their words affect the people who read them so much because they feel it's true deep down inside or something. I get my knowledge from the Bible so when people like that get air time and get the public in a tizzy, I don't pay it any mind because I know my God and I know the word and they are clearly not following it. And I move on. Why can't the rest of America?
So religious people like yourself should just ignore atheists, gays, muslims, etc etc, right allenk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality