Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times

Advertisements

There is a difference between "according as it is written in the prophets" and "declared through the prophets."

Mat_2:23 And coming, he dwells in a city termed Nazareth, so that that may be fulfilled which is declared through the prophets that: A Nazarene shall He be called.

John Gill's explsition on the bible states:

"A Nazarene, as David de Pomis says (f),

"is one that is born in the city Netzer, which is said to be in the land of Galilee, three days journey distant from Jerusalem.''

Now though Christ was not born, yet because he dwelt at Nazareth, and was educated there; hence the Jews frequently call him ישוע הנוצרי, "Jesus, the Nazarene (g)"; and sometimes only הנוצרי, "the Nazarene" (h). They also design him by בן נצר, "Ben Netzer" (i), of whom they say a great many evil things: and that Christ is often called Jesus of Nazareth, or the Nazarene, and his followers Nazarenes, from the place of his habitation, is known to everyone. One of Christ's disciples is called Netzer in the Talmud (k), and made to plead for his life, because his name signified a branch, according to Isa_11:1. Surenhusius observes (l), that the form לקיום מה שנאמר "to fulfil what is said", used by the Talmudists, and which he takes to be the same with this here, is used by them, when they allege not the very words of Moses, or the prophets, but their sense, which is deduced as a certain axiom from them; and thinks it is applicable to the present case.

(e) Targum, Jarchi, Aben Ezra & Kimchi in loc. (f) Lexic Heb. fol. 141. 2. (g) T. Bab. Avoda Zara, fol. 17. 1. Ganz. par. 2. fol. 14. 2. Abarbinel in Dan. fol. 44. 1. (h) Ganz. par. 1. fol. 24. 2. (i) T. Bab. Cetuboth, fol. 51. 2. & Gloss. in ib. Bere****h Rabba, fol. 67. 2. Abarbinel in Dau. fol. 44. 1. (k) T. Bab. Sanhedrim, fol. 43. 1. (l) Biblos Katallages, p, 2, 3, 4, 197, &c."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Yes, there are several explanation of the term 'nazarene'. Matthew's we can dismiss as rubbish. As is much of what he says.

Jesus can be a Nazarene, having taken a Nazirite vow, can be a member of (or founder of) a religio -political group 'Nazirites' from the 'Netzer' root.

Or he can come from Nazareth, as the Gospels claim. either from the city or (as i argue) from the area or district of Nazareth.

Since the archaeology (despite some - as yet unsubstantiated - claims to the contrary) indicated that no city, town or even decent -sized village of 'Nazareth' existed in the 1st c AD, I am suggesting the 'gen' - Nazret explanation, though I personally like the Jesus -party explanation better.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-22-2014 at 12:25 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 04:07 AM

Educatest thyselfeth:

Nazareth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-22-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yet again, referring me to some source or other and getting yourself out of making a case.

None of that is an argument, let alone a refutation, of what I have said here.

Make your own case - don't refer to hundred -year old authorities whose information is long out of date, and if you must use any other source, use it as a back -up for you own case.

Archeology indicates that no town or even decent - sized settlement exist in Jesus' time.
Up to now the most persuasive etymology of 'Nazarene' is religious rather than geographical.
I have at least suggested how it might be geographical -as the gospels say - even if there was no Nazareth town. Not that I expect any thanks -or even comprehension -from the Bible -believers.

That's as far as I am willing to go in educating you.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yet again, referring me to some source or other and getting yourself out of making a case.

None of that is an argument, let alone a refutation, of what I have said here.

Make your own case - don't refer to hundred -year old authorities whose information is long out of date, and if you must use any other source, use it as a back -up for you own case.

Archeology indicates that no town or even decent - sized settlement exist in Jesus' time.
Up to now the most persuasive etymology of 'Nazarene' is religious rather than geographical.
I have at least suggested how it might be geographical -as the gospels say - even if there was no Nazareth town. Not that I expect any thanks -or even comprehension -from the Bible -believers.

That's as far as I am willing to go in educating you.
My sources check mate your sources.

You just don't know what you are talking about . . . again.

You are being lied to AREQUIPA by those who don't believe the Bible. You should have gone to this web site before spreading the lies: http://www.nazareth-israel.com/nazarteh-history

From this site:
http://www.bibleplaces.com/nazareth.htm we read:
Very little is known about Nazareth from the ancient sources.
Outside of the New Testament, Nazareth is never mentioned
until the Byzantine period (4th c. AD). Archaeological excavations
have confirmed that the city was only a small agricultural village during
the Hellenistic and Roman periods.

Last edited by Eusebius; 02-22-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 08:58 AM

278 posts, read 307,610 times
Quote:

You are being lied to AREQUIPA by those who don't believe the Bible. You should have gone to this web site before spreading the lies: Nazareth History
Come on, man. This website is trying to sell guided tours.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Come on, man. This website is trying to sell guided tours.
Come on, man. The other webiste is not trying to sell guided tours. And what does that have to do with the price of eggs?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 PM

278 posts, read 307,610 times
Quote:
Come on, man. The other webiste is not trying to sell guided tours. And what does that have to do with the price of eggs?
You're trying to use it as a source of proof to validate the age of Nazareth. They're selling guided tours on the premise that Jesus actually existed and was actually born there. They're selling a fantasy! It hardly qualifies as evidence for your weak argument, but I doubt that matters to you.
I need to find a submerged island, claim it is Atlantis and do the guided tour thing. Hey!, if I present the Atlantis claim, make a website, create a history and charge for a guided tour- IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!
People will then link my website to bolster their arguments that Atlantis really existed!

Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
You're trying to use it as a source of proof to validate the age of Nazareth. They're selling guided tours on the premise that Jesus actually existed and was actually born there. They're selling a fantasy! It hardly qualifies as evidence for your weak argument, but I doubt that matters to you.
I need to find a submerged island, claim it is Atlantis and do the guided tour thing. Hey!, if I present the Atlantis claim, make a website, create a history and charge for a guided tour- IT MUST BE TRUE!!!!
People will then link my website to bolster their arguments that Atlantis really existed!
Really? Did you email them to see if that was their intent? Or are you just making this up to defend your pet ideas?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:

You are being lied to AREQUIPA by those who don't believe the Bible. You should have gone to this web site before spreading the lies: Nazareth History

From this site:
Nazareth (BiblePlaces.com) we read:
Very little is known about Nazareth from the ancient sources.
Outside of the New Testament, Nazareth is never mentioned
until the Byzantine period (4th c. AD). Archaeological excavations
have confirmed that the city was only a small agricultural village during
the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
I have seen the site and several like it. As Steeldragon says, they are using Nazareth as a tourist attraction.

That doesn't mean it was never there, of course it was, at least in Hadrian's time. The point is that Archeology indicates that it wasn't there a hundred years earlier, in Pilate's time.

I am not being misled, Eusebius, of mate, certainly not by you. I sugeest that you look beyond tourist cites and educate yourself on what has and what hasn't been found at Nazareth.

What has: a house, a well, agricultual terracing, some graves (perhaps associated with the later suppression of a revolt by Hadrian (so I read) but could equally be associated with the Jewsih War (so I suggest - thirty years after Jesus, time, btw)

What has not been found: A decent sized town to merit even being called a village. A town large enough to have its own synagogue as required by Luke. A handy cliff nearby where the infuriated neighbours of Jesus' family would bundle Jesus up to intent on murder. Again Luke. Anything large enough for Jesus to be described as being from - unless it was a district, rather than a town.

Quote:
Really? Did you email them to see if that was their intent? Or are you just making this up to defend your pet ideas?
Israel travel guide – inisrael.com

Of course, the site is more interested in peddling faith in religious myth by pointing to the places where Jesus walked. However, Nazareth wasn't one of them. Because it wasn't there, if you go by evidence rather than faith propped up with whatever random and rather irrelevant googlesites you can raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality