Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Is the story about "Christianity at risk of disappearing," or the Church of England at risk of disappearing? Reads more like the latter.

In any case, Wikipedia has a more statistically oriented entry, if anyone is interested.

Religion in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
What I find amusing is the idea that Britain was ever more free, more just, or more prosperous than it is today. It wasn't.

From the Christianization of Britain during the Anglo-Saxon era thru the 20th Century, Britain was more Christian and more religious than it is today. Yet it was never as free and just and prosperous as a whole than it is today.

I won't necessarily label the cause as Christianity, but there simply is no actual evidence correlating less Christianity with any sort of British demise (unless one obtusely and narcissisticly insists on defining 'demise' as 'Britons not obeying the parts of the Bible that I [ie, certain posters] happen to want obeyed').

If I had an authoritarian bent combined with a lack of confidence in this, then here I would end with...

PERIOD!

But I don't.

So I won't.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

If I had an authoritarian bent combined with a lack of confidence in this, then here I would end with...

PERIOD!

But I don't.

So I won't.
I wonder if you're referring trio anyone on this board?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Is the story about "Christianity at risk of disappearing," or the Church of England at risk of disappearing? Reads more like the latter.

In any case, Wikipedia has a more statistically oriented entry, if anyone is interested.

Religion in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting. The point about the C of E is not so much people believing in it, but the tradition it has and how it is so bound up with the political and governmental system, that the System is likely to keep it going, even if there are no actual bums on seats.
Christianity itself is likely to continue. I see less attendance at Anglical churches and more diversification into various sects with some particular ism to offer.

Overall I expect a decline in God - belief, though.

[quote=Unsettomati;32306436]What I find amusing is the idea that Britain was ever more free, more just, or more prosperous than it is today. It wasn't.

From the Christianization of Britain during the Anglo-Saxon era thru the 20th Century, Britain was more Christian and more religious than it is today. Yet it was never as free and just and prosperous as a whole than it is today.

.../quote]

Yes. While I can appreciate the past glories of our history (as can most other countries) I prefer today where the desk- bound bureaucrat drives the nation rather than the sword swinging knight or cannon -toting swashbuckler.

The past has been driven by Kings supported by the church and the church supported by the kings. I hold little nostalgia for those Golden days, and I prefer our system based more of discussion and less on Authority.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-20-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 10:56 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
...snip...

Overall I expect a decline in God - belief, though.
I agree, insofar as we're speaking about the biblical, Abrahamic god. Within two or three generations, it will be consigned to the same mythical pantheon as Zeus, Jupiter, et al.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 AM

19 posts, read 40,239 times
Just because church attendance is low does not mean Christianity will disappear anywhere.

In Quebec most people only attend church on Easter and Christmas, and special occasion, yet people still call themselves for Catholics.

Going to church every Sunday does not make you more Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality