Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

I am fine with not knowing something. I don't know if there is life on other planets. We have zero evidence. Yet my mind is open to the possibility and I do not ridicule those who believe that life does exist on other planets.

I do notice that, while many atheists say they "don't know", they behave as if they Know there is no God.

With that said, I would be dishonest to say " I really don't know if God exists". I do know God exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with saying you don't know. But it's funny to me that this stance is usually only taken with respect to the question of God. Hardly anybody ever says they're agnostic about anything else.

I guess God gets special treatment.
One's eternal destiny does not depend on whether Santa Claus is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
I do notice that, while many atheists say they "don't know", they behave as if they Know there is no God.

What does that mean?

And of the world's religious beliefs, how many include the tenet that 1) belief is necessary, and 2) eternity depends on it?

If I were to tell you that your eternal destiny depends on whether Santa is real, how would you change your beliefs? And why do you keep behaving is you know there is no Santa?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 AM

328 posts, read 466,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
While I do loathe the person who coined the phrase...it is a very apt one:
.. there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld
And anyone who claims otherwise is either a fool, deluded or a charlatan or just a plain old fundi theist.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:27 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am fine with not knowing something. I don't know if there is life on other planets. We have zero evidence. Yet my mind is open to the possibility and I do not ridicule those who believe that life does exist on other planets.

What else should they do? Practically speaking, do you think it is a good idea for someone who doesn't a reason to believe in any god to go to every church out there, donate time and money to all sorts of religions, as some sort of act?

Do you go to every religious service where you can't absolutely disprove the existence of the god(s) being worshiped? If not, you're behaving the same way as the atheists you "notice" here. They just lack belief in one more god than you, but they behave the same as you do towards all the gods you don't currently have a reason to believe in.

Quote:
No reason to think that it depends on god(s), either. What's your point?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
Think about the ancient Greeks pondering the question, "Where does lightning come from?"

Their answer was, or course, from the God Zeus, usually because something brought about his wrath.

But they really should have said "I Don't Know." And indeed, it would be the 19th century before electromagnetic theory could answer the question in full.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,639 times
what lets me know there is no god(S) is a brain read the bible with a open mind. then look at the real world. and the historic record.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:46 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Why would we behave as though there is a God if we don't think there is one? That wouldn't make much sense now, would it?

And how does one "behave" as though there is no God, exactly? By not going to church? Not praying? Not reading the Bible? Not mentioning Jesus's name every 20 seconds? Not saying a blessing before dinner? Not giving credit to God for every good thing that happens in our lives?

I just don't know what we're supposed to be doing, as atheists, that makes it look as if we believe in something we, in fact, don't believe in.

I suppose we atheists could invade your churches and pretend to worship, but nah ... that would be a colossal waste of time.

What's more is that religion is absolute. There is no "maybe" in religion, there is no "I don't know."

You either believe or you don't, and since we don't believe, there's just no point in getting involved with religion, especially since most of us really don't want to be around the opiate, if you take my meaning.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:52 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
What's wrong with saying you don't know?
I don't know. Does anyone know?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Of course. What else would they do? Do you behave as if there is life on other planets? Do you behave as if bigfoot exists? Or any other number of things we don't know.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
What else would they do?
I don't know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality