Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Wrong, I really like the new pope. I didn't care for the last one at all.

If your Jesus is so concerned about about peoples bodies, then why are there thousands of children that will spend Christmas with no home? Why are there millions of children that will go to bed hungry tonight? Either your Jesus doesn't care, or he can't do anything about it. Either way, not a god I would want to follow
I'll tell you exactly why. It's because homeless children, hungry or starving children have nothing to do with sex - and sex is the only thing religion really cares about.

I used to euphemistically refer to the Bible as "A Prude's Guide to Bronze Age Sex." I might get into the habit of calling it by that name again.

Anyhow, I'm deadly serious when I say that. Here's some proof:

Catholic nuns group ?stunned? by Vatican slap - Washington Post

CHICAGO — A prominent U.S. Catholic nuns group said Thursday that it was “stunned” that the Vatican reprimanded it for spending too much time on poverty and social-justice concerns and not enough on condemning abortion and gay marriage.

In a stinging report on Wednesday, the Vatican said the Leadership Conference of Women Religious had been “silent on the right to life” and had failed to make the “Biblical view of family life and human sexuality” a central plank in its agenda.

So there you go, jjrose. There it is in plain English. I mean, seriously, what more really needs to be said? I think the position of the Vatican here pretty much answers your question about homeless, hungry children.

I can dig up more dirt if necessary, too. Like how the Catholic church threatened to close down ALL of its charities, including hospitals, in the Washington DC area if the bill allowing same-sex marriages wasn't changed. Okay, now here I understand the Church's complaint because the bill forced the church to perform, or at least make space for, same-sex weddings. Yeah, that's going a bit too far and THAT I agree violates the right of Catholics to practice their religion.

BUT ... the Church used up all of its good faith from me by holding the sick, the poor, the disabled, and the elderly hostage to push their religious agenda. If they want to go to war with the city of Washington to get the law changed, then go for it. But you do NOT use the nation's most vulnerable citizens as political footballs to get what you want.

Nice going, Church, for another epic morality fail.

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum - Washington Post

Oh yeah, and I agree, I like this new Pope, too. Finally, someone with a sense of humanity!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:42 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'll tell you exactly why. It's because homeless children, hungry or starving children have nothing to do with sex - and sex is the only thing religion really cares about.

I used to euphemistically refer to the Bible as "A Prude's Guide to Bronze Age Sex." I might get into the habit of calling it by that name again.

Anyhow, I'm deadly serious when I say that. Here's some proof:

Catholic nuns group ?stunned? by Vatican slap - Washington Post

CHICAGO — A prominent U.S. Catholic nuns group said Thursday that it was “stunned” that the Vatican reprimanded it for spending too much time on poverty and social-justice concerns and not enough on condemning abortion and gay marriage.

In a stinging report on Wednesday, the Vatican said the Leadership Conference of Women Religious had been “silent on the right to life” and had failed to make the “Biblical view of family life and human sexuality” a central plank in its agenda.

So there you go, jjrose. There it is in plain English. I mean, seriously, what more really needs to be said? I think the position of the Vatican here pretty much answers your question about homeless, hungry children.

I can dig up more dirt if necessary, too. Like how the Catholic church threatened to close down ALL of its charities, including hospitals, in the Washington DC area if the bill allowing same-sex marriages wasn't changed. Okay, now here I understand the Church's complaint because the bill forced the church to perform, or at least make space for, same-sex weddings. Yeah, that's going a bit too far and THAT I agree violates the right of Catholics to practice their religion.

BUT ... the Church used up all of its good faith from me by holding the sick, the poor, the disabled, and the elderly hostage to push their religious agenda. If they want to go to war with the city of Washington to get the law changed, then go for it. But you do NOT use the nation's most vulnerable citizens as political footballs to get what you want.

Nice going, Church, for another epic morality fail.

Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum - Washington Post

Oh yeah, and I agree, I like this new Pope, too. Finally, someone with a sense of humanity!

In my opinion, as soon as a 'pro-lifer' says that they will make an exception for women who got pregnant as a result of being raped, they are basically admitting it's not about the 'life' of a fetus at all, it's about the time honored misogynistic tradition of 'punishing' women for choosing to have sex.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:54 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You might want to start with the women who are outside that cathedral in Argentina.

Nope, I can't respect people who do not respect others.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Wrong, I really like the new pope. I didn't care for the last one at all.

If your Jesus is so concerned about about peoples bodies, then why are there thousands of children that will spend Christmas with no home? Why are there millions of children that will go to bed hungry tonight? Either your Jesus doesn't care, or he can't do anything about it. Either way, not a god I would want to follow.

Also you might want to refer to the first amendment and writings of the founding fathers on the subject of church and state. Keep your religion in your church and home, and out of government and other peoples lives.
Look to yourself and those here on earth when people go to bed hungry. We are Jesus's hands and feet now. Our country guarantees religious freedom so people who come here are guaranteed just that. Freedom to express our religion in any way we want. Jesus instructed his followers to go out in the town square not to just stay hidden in churches.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is profoundly anti-Christ and anti-God. Politics is the business of power and control of human lives. God has no interest in having humans control other humans!!! God wants each individual Soul to control themselves. When we force others not to do things they themselves choose to do . . . that defeats God's purpose and desire for us. Following God's rules MUST be entirely VOLUNTARY. We have no business injecting it into politics and legislation, period! Pretending that God needs humans to enforce His wishes is to make God impotent!!!
Humans force peoiple to do what they want all the time. Last time I looked at our laws, they were mandatory or do you follow them only on a voluntary basis?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
No ... they don't.

There are an awful lot of Catholic and Christian right-wingers in America who only care about life while it's still in the womb. After the child is born ... who cares.

Why?

Because these are the ones who consistently vote for politicians who want to eliminate as much as possible spending on programs that help the poor. The less we spend on welfare, food stamps, medicaid, the better. Anyone who is paying attention knows about what is called "the feminization of poverty." What this says is that many women are falling into poverty because they get stuck with the child while the man runs off to pursue whatever dream he wishes. The mother has to make all of the sacrifices such as giving up college or quitting their jobs so they can stay home to take care of the children - especially if the woman in question does not have a big support network of friends and family.

AND ... just to add insult to injury, some of the real fanatic Catholics will think nothing of kicking their daughters to the curb if they get pregnant out of wedlock. So off these girls go to live in poverty because they're too young to have a chance of avoiding it. And, because their families have disowned them, they are alone and have no choice but to rely on government help - you know, the same kind of help those very same Catholics are trying to eliminate.

So yeah, between being Social Darwinists and having the penchant for kicking pregnant daughters out of the house, I'm really not seeing a lot of "protection of life" here - at least not when it is actually alive, self-aware, and breathing on its own.

AND, I'm not quite sure how kicking those pregnant daughters out of the house is doing a very good job of protecting the girl's unborn fetus.

Yeah, I know what you'll say next: "But look at all the good Catholic charities do! They can help the poor!"

Sure ... but charities are good for a warm meal and a blanket and NOT for helping a woman raise a child on her own. Is charity going to raise these girls out of poverty? No. They'll just make being in povertly slightly more bearable.

This is just one more aspect of religious belief that I find incredibly detrimental to a caring society. All too often, beliefs in conflicting dogma prevents the usage of pragmatism when solving problems. Perhaps the penultimate example of this kind of incompetence is being against abortion while simultaneously being against birth control. Now that's just stupid - and a staunch belief in both of these rules exacerbates the very situation you're trying to avoid.
Such an imaginary world you live in. The Catholic Church is in the forefront in helping the poor. You don't see because you don't want to look.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
In my opinion, as soon as a 'pro-lifer' says that they will make an exception for women who got pregnant as a result of being raped, they are basically admitting it's not about the 'life' of a fetus at all, it's about the time honored misogynistic tradition of 'punishing' women for choosing to have sex.

Being raped is not choosing to have sex, remember? Many people are in this world as the result of rape, I do not want to tell them they never should have been born.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Being raped is not choosing to have sex, remember? Many people are in this world as the result of rape, I do not want to tell them they never should have been born.
Try reading what I wrote.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:41 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Such an imaginary world you live in. The Catholic Church is in the forefront in helping the poor. You don't see because you don't want to look.
The Catholic Church does a lot more harm to the poor than help...The churches stand on contraception, abortion and homosexuals has caused countless deaths in Africa and unwanted children everywhere it has influence.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:02 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Being pro-life is not oppressing anyone. The Church believes in the protection of life from conception to natural death.
And is doing their best to force everyone else to live by their views by supporting attempts to legislate their religious beliefs into law. That's pretty oppressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality