Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sure it is.

If you don't want to have a purpose in life or be happy you are free to do that. You can be as unhappy as you want to be. But you speak for yourself. You certainly do not speak for the MANY happy Christians who live lives filled with purpose and service. And happy dances.
I think you can have a purpose and be pretty happy regardless though, maybe you mean you can't have eternal life or be granted happiness from a God like being. lol If so then you are correct. I can't expect that and I don't so I'm good.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Generally I find Atheists to be happier than Theists. But that is probably because I find them not condemning my choice of religion. I may be equating lack of hostility to happiness.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's just you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's just you, I'm pretty happy, ethical and as real as you've probably ever seen. I think it's odd that you'd view an atheist as a phony instead of a Theist. I mean, what do we have to misrepresent? Nothing would be your answer. I think Theist are the ones using phony facts to convince others that their way is the best, (or that they only have a little bit to go) even when they aren't representing their savior very well because he will save their ass if they don't succeed so why does it matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I'd definitely say it's just you. First of all, if 9% percent of the world is unreligious, then you are generalizing a common trait that hundreds of millions of people share (being miserable). No offends, but doing so is not reasonable and quite absurd. From my experience I've encountered miserable people both christian and atheist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Generally I find Atheists to be happier than Theists. But that is probably because I find them not condemning my choice of religion. I may be equating lack of hostility to happiness.
What they said.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Just wondering if any one else has met people that call themselves "atheists". Do they seem like genuine and sincerely honest people to you? There are plenty of people who call themselves "Christians" that are unhappy and miserable too but they are not really yet Christian in heart and have a little ways to go.
Its like you know me. Do you have secret cameras recording my every move?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Just wondering if any one else has met people that call themselves "atheists". Do they seem like genuine and sincerely honest people to you? There are plenty of people who call themselves "Christians" that are unhappy and miserable too but they are not really yet Christian in heart and have a little ways to go.
Yes I have met plenty of people that call themselves "atheists". Yes they seem like genuine and sincerely honest people to me.
There are plenty of people who call themselves "Christians" that are unhappy and miserable but they are not really yet Christian in heart and have a little ways to go.

LOL Just joshing...

People are people for goodness sake. Maybe you should try meeting few "atheists". We don't belong to the Phony, Unhappy, Dishonest and Unethical Society. We are normal people, not aliens.
I should imagine there are a few Christians on here who are unhappy with their lot and wouldn't really take kindly to your opinion of them not really being Christian. What are you trying to offend everybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've known quite a few atheists and non-religious folk that are quite happy with their godless lives. Being a Christian is not about having purpose or happiness. That often comes with it, but it's not what Jesus died on the cross for.
For once I agree with Vizio.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think you can have a purpose and be pretty happy regardless .
Absolutely.

Neither is dependent on religion. (You'll notice it's usually one strain of American Christianity that seems to revel in being unhappy martyrs. Makes no sense to me, but they've been with us since the Puritans were telling everyone having fun was a sin.)

Old 12-10-2013, 05:43 PM

328 posts, read 466,221 times
I'm perfectly happy and I keeps it real bro. It's just you.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
It's just you.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times
QUITE often I think it is just the opposite: Miserable people tend to gravitate toward religion and theistic principles out of simple desperation - a drowning man reaching hopefully for a life preserver. Just look what happens in miserable places with lots of - ahem - misery. Prisons, psychiatric wards, war zones, impoverished nations - the business of converting souls has never been better especially for Islam.

Predictably enough, nations and societies that live with abundance, those that live in peace, those that live with little fear, those that are healthy have much lower rates of religiosity compared to those 3rd World hell holes wracked by poverty, violence, and war.

It's really no wonder then why most of the world's religions attempt to turn their followers away from things like pleasure, fun, adventure, wealth, sex, partying, and the acquisition of material goods. Priests and gurus try to bamboozle people into thinking these sacrifices are spiritual when in fact convincing people to take vows of poverty, vows of celibacy, to reject worldlyness is just a manipulative tool that keeps people just desperate enough to keep clinging to that God.

Should the flock realize just how enjoyable life can be, many are liable to see that they don't have to be miserable, that they really don't need a God to be happy.

Just look at the institution of religion as a whole - probably the most stuffy, boring, uselessly solemn, and perpetually humorless paradigm ever conceived. Can anyone show me just one passage in any holy book - just one of thousands - that was written with the intent to make you laugh? Uh huh, yeah, I rest my case.

Then people wonder why atheists don't want anything to do with a religiously-inspired afterlife. I always pictured it as a place devoid of fun and humor - like waiting for all eternity in a very beige government waiting room.

Thus it would seem that believers have more cause for misery than atheists who are generally rather content folks - except for the really, really militant ones.

Last edited by Shirina; 12-10-2013 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: My post was stuffy and humorless and still is!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,113,519 times
I'm an atheist and if you strip away that phony, unhappy and unethical exterior I show to the world, you will find the real unhappy and unethical interior which I conceal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.