Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:35 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,601 posts, read 3,022,201 times

Advertisements

This isn't specifically about recent events, but a general trend I am seeing which I find disgusting. People don't seem concerned with protecting the rights of religious minorities, simply because the majority of people are not effected by the removal of these rights. Reading articles on these subjects, I am unfortunately not seeing criticism of these bans but rather support from readers! Protecting the rights of minorities is a fundamental part of democracy, and it concerns me how people think it's OK to ban certain practises of minority groups. These are fundamental aspects of people's religion we are talking about. You can't take that away from people! What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM

794 posts, read 1,402,513 times
Being religious does not give you the right to harm other people or animals. Morals are above any religion.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:48 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,724,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
This isn't specifically about recent events, but a general trend I am seeing which I find disgusting. People don't seem concerned with protecting the rights of religious minorities, simply because the majority of people are not effected by the removal of these rights. Reading articles on these subjects, I am unfortunately not seeing criticism of these bans but rather support from readers! Protecting the rights of minorities is a fundamental part of democracy, and it concerns me how people think it's OK to ban certain practises of minority groups. These are fundamental aspects of people's religion we are talking about. You can't take that away from people! What are your thoughts?
The society has some general rights to ban actions which are cruel or contrary to the health of an individual.

Mere religious belief does not justify an exception to such laws. There are varying religious groups that believe virtually anything. The state pursues a relatively uniform code or it has to decide which beliefs are worthy of an exception.

You might have a point on Hijab or ceremonial daggers if done in a way that has no functional effect. Banning symbols rather than actual acts is a different thing. Which one are you protesting?

I see little objection to a hijab that is simply a symbol...but lots to one that hides the full face or limits vision.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,601 posts, read 3,022,201 times
I wouldn't ban the niqab. I believe a woman should be allowed to wear whatever she chooses. I sense a misogynistic undertone to the double standards with regards to male and female religious garments.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Being religious does not give you the right to harm other people or animals. Morals are above any religion.
Being non-religious does not give the permission to be fascist, either. The Constitution is above fascism.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,724,146 times
Quote:
I wouldn't ban the niqab. I believe a woman should be allowed to wear whatever she chooses. I sense a misogynistic undertone to the double standards with regards to male and female religious garments.
Does society have a right to see your face? Established law pretty much says it does. One cannot go around masked in public in at least some jurisdictions.

And can one wear a device that restricts vision? Certainly not if one is operating a vehicle and I might argue as well if one wishes to travel on streets and sidewalks. We make exceptions for the disabled but also for the able?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Does society have a right to see your face? Established law pretty much says it does. One cannot go around masked in public in at least some jurisdictions.

And can one wear a device that restricts vision? Certainly not if one is operating a vehicle and I might argue as well if one wishes to travel on streets and sidewalks. We make exceptions for the disabled but also for the able?
I do agree there.....if you want an ID, the police have a right to expect to be able to see your face.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:32 PM

723 posts, read 863,802 times
Why the hell should stupidity be tolerated? It doesn't matter if a "minority" gets upset. Something being justifiable because it's "tradition" or it's someone's "religion" is a silly notion that society as a whole needs to grow out of.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,715,399 times
I guess there really is nothing new under the sun.

This is not a religious tolerance issue, it's just a symptom of culture clash and it happens whenever a new group of people start to feel threatening (rightly or wrongly) to the majority of another culture. Curious or seemingly impractical religious practices are simply easy targets to attack.

Europe is feeling this dynamic particularly hard with the Arabs and USA with Latino immigrants.

The cure is mutual understanding and hefty amounts of cross-communication to cool those usually irrational and flat-out wrong fears and stereotypes about the "foreigners".

Get to know them... you'll find out they are people too and that while change is inevitable, you aren't in imminent danger just because they are living next door.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,488,259 times
Quote:
Nor would I. I see no harm in wearing it. I would ban being obliged to wear it if a woman didn't really want to.

I also thing legal requirements transcend religious sensibilities. religious law is not above human law. We had this discussion about Amish buggies having to have warning lights or some such. Inside Amish territory, you could give them some leeway on their religious sensibilities, but if they ventured out onto the other roads outside their area, they should observe the laws of the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality