Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,139,792 times

Advertisements

Atheists Take Controversial Anti-Prayer Message to the Super Bowl

TheBlaze.com - Stories by Billy Hallowell

Quote:
American Atheists, a secular activist group, is sponsoring a new digital billboard outside New Jersey’s Metlife Stadium — the venue for this weekend’s Super Bowl. It pokes fun at prayer, specifically citing the “Hail Mary,” a popular Christian invocation.
You think gays are militant? I don't wonder if atheists aren't more so! Read more @ Atheists Take Controversial Anti-Prayer Message to the Super Bowl | TheBlaze.com

Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
What exactly is "demanding" about this? Is this any worse than a christian billboard?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

You think gays are militant? I don't wonder if atheists aren't more so! Read more @ Atheists Take Controversial Anti-Prayer Message to the Super Bowl | TheBlaze.com

You think those who faction themselves as Christians are militant?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:

Holy crap! Atheists are expressing themselves! Wow, whatever are we to do?

The world must really be going to hell in a handbasket now that atheists aren't sitting down and shutting up, letting ONLY Christians put up billboards and rent sign space or erect massive crosses along the interstate.

Did you hear that, atheists? The Constitution only applies to Christians. If you so much as make a peep about your beliefs, you will be branded as "militant" and "strident."

(Which is like saying any Christian who proselytizes is being militant and any church that rents a sign is being too strident.)

Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Are atheists not allowed a voice?

I think it's a reasonably clever play on words.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
I suspect that the reason for the atheists sign is not the hope of persuading or influencing anyone into embracing atheism, rather it is merely a matter of wishing to break up the monopoly on the public message which religion has enjoyed for so long.

As such, well, fair game.

That religious types would complain seems the product of no sense of fair play. How does one justify "Our signs and messages are acceptable, signs erected by opposing points of view are offensive."?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I have no idea how bad one's life must be that they feel the need to spend time and money to tell the world about what they DON'T believe in. It's mind-boggling.

Maybe there are no poor in New Jersey to take care of?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I have no idea how bad one's life must be that they feel the need to spend time and money to tell the world about what they DON'T believe in. It's mind-boggling.

Maybe there are no poor in New Jersey to take care of?
So only Christians can express themselves publicly?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Perhaps, Just perhaps we all carry a touch of of this attitude:

Them People are demanding, I just spread the truth.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So only Christians can express themselves publicly?
Where did I say such a thing? I don't understand why it's that important to someone that they'd bother themselves with it. I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but you don't see me putting up billboards to tell the world about it. It just seems like a massive waste of time and money. I have no idea what can motivate a person to do such a thing and I cannot relate to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality