Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Soviet Marxist-Leninism policy consistently advocated the control, suppression, and ultimately, the elimination of religious beliefs, and actively encouraged atheism in the Soviet Union.[2]

The state advocated the destruction of religion, and it officially pronounced religious beliefs to be superstitious and backward.[3][4] The Communist Party destroyed churches....harassed, incarcerated and executed religious leaders, flooded the schools and media with anti-religious teachings, and it introduced a belief system called "scientific atheism," with its own rituals, promises and proselytizers.[5][6] The total number of Christian victims under the Soviet regime has been estimated to range between 14-22 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Do you want to explain to me who runs this site? Who started it? What's their name?
A good place to look is here (Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ): //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

There are these two threads there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ow-did-cd.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...-operates.html

As everyone knows, the owner of the site recently open an account (separate from Administrator) so people can see his own presence, both here and on Twitter. You can see the blue announcement at the top right while you are reading a thread. It above the Active threads list.

His posts are here: //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=32118329

His profile is here: //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...m-2173187.html

His name is Lech Mazur.

The Religion and Spirituality forums are a very small part of what this site is about. As a matter of fact, the site could meet its purpose with no forums at all.

Now, back to the topic of this thread.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Christian forums: They'll ban you if you don't agree with them on something.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
A good place to look is here (Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ): //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

There are these two threads there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ow-did-cd.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...-operates.html

As everyone knows, the owner of the site recently open an account (separate from Administrator) so people can see his own presence, both here and on Twitter. You can see the blue announcement at the top right while you are reading a thread. It above the Active threads list.

His posts are here: //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=32118329

His profile is here: //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...m-2173187.html

His name is Lech Mazur.

The Religion and Spirituality forums are a very small part of what this site is about. As a matter of fact, the site could meet its purpose with no forums at all.

Now, back to the topic of this thread.
Interesting. That actually explains a lot.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Remember, certain Wikipedia articles are monitored by Christians who will immediately delete anything showing their argument from authority to be wrong.

You do realize that according to some Christians, Christian persecution in the Soviet Union amounted to 120% of all persecutions.

But yes, religion was seen as a threat to the Soviet leadership, as was the military in 1938, or the political party of Leningrad in 1946.

As you like Wikipedia so much,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...e_Soviet_Union

Old 04-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Remember, certain Wikipedia articles are monitored by Christians who will immediately delete anything showing their argument from authority to be wrong.

You do realize that according to some Christians, Christian persecution in the Soviet Union amounted to 120% of all persecutions.

But yes, religion was seen as a threat to the Soviet leadership, as was the military in 1938, or the political party of Leningrad in 1946.

As you like Wikipedia so much,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...e_Soviet_Union
I don't have time to bat it back and forth with you, and I (and you) kind of went off from the thread purpose, and after posting on forums for 15+ years I now know 95/100 you are not "winning" anyone over to your side, so I will just leave it at that.

You atheists, though, you have your gods. Certainly, many of you do. Your political heroes (many times), or your money, or your favorite band, or your this or your that. You just don't realize it.

Good day to you, sir.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Separation of church and state.
Exactly.

And from a common sense perspective, I'll agree to let Christians put a monument to the ten commandments on the court house lawn...as soon as they agree to a statue of the Buddhist Wheel of Law, a statue of Ganesha, and the star and crescent...and the religious symbols of all other religions.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:53 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Discussing spiritual (and even religious) matters should never be depressing. If we truly value them as we should, there should be no problem discussing matters, even when we don't hear what we want, or like what we hear.

Jesus would make a concerted effort and stay with a person as long as it took, or at least give that person plenty of room for talk and consideration. Some Christians get irritated too easily, and give up too quickly. Only God knows how work has been abandoned quickly and left unfinished.

Now, if we openly talk and discuss with a strong effort, but nothing productive comes out of it, we just leave the site (like leaving a town), shaking the "dust off our shoes", as in places that rejected Christ.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 AM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Oh i got banned from CARM too several years ago for posting something that was sypathetic to Mormonism, as well as saying that Hell does not exist.

My time on such forums is not qbout spreadingvAtheism, but rather to encourage thinking, reason, and healthy behavior. Since this is in direct conflict with the actions and methods of almost all fundamentalists, then to them I do come across as anti-Christian. In fact , I fully support the right of the individual to make his or her own choices, which again, goes against the beliefs and practices of evangelical Christianity or Wahhabism. I do not, however, allow religious people to force their beliefs on me on any level, which includes everything from belief and dogma to ignorance and superstition.
Such thinking, while acceptable fere, is intolerable in the eyes of the CARM fundies or the Christian Forums evangelicals.
Yeah CARM is a vile site, and although I was not Banned, was rendered inactive there.
As much as I dislike them, they have their own rules, and like most groups only want to associate with or attract like-minded people.
On various Catholic sites or Facebook groups for instance, an Evangelical or SDA infiltrator may appear from time to time, but once they post their real antagonistic views they are immediately banned. (I have seen some pretty extreme ones, like posting pictures of previous Popes in Hell).
This is just the reality of sites that do not share open, or tolerant views, and have to protect their own interests.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:00 PM

87 posts, read 58,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Christian forums: They'll ban you if you don't agree with them on something.
Typical of religion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality