Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:49 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times

Advertisements

how do you know the bible is telling the truth?? the holy bible was written like 2000 years ago the first bible was written by hand... and probablly was used a lot being it was the only bible in existance... and you know all used books get old and worn and have to be rewritten after a period of time say like 50 years.. and each time it gets rewritten the new author adds some new twist and meanings and verses.and forgeries. so how do you know that the holy bible is the holy bible!!! and not the holy bible full of book worms.

and that go's for all the other holy bibles like the Qu'ran.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 04-19-2009 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: highly offensive wordplay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
how do you know the bible is telling the truth?? the holy bible was written like 2000 years ago the first bible was written by hand... and probablly was used a lot being it was the only bible in existance... and you know all used books get old and worn and have to be rewritten after a period of time say like 50 years.. and each time it gets rewritten the new author adds some new twist and meanings and verses.and forgeries. so how do you know that the holy bible is the holy bible!!! and not the holy bible full of book worms.

and that go's for all the other hoely bibles like the Qu'ran.
You have my attention, Cruxan.

Yes, I read your post and am offended.

You can mark your checklist now with fluorescent markers, offended christian #1.

I hope braderjoe, elwill or moonsun will lead the other side. You may have to wait, they might be on a different timezone.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 04-19-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,251,134 times
I have a sincere Christian friend. He has asked me about the history of translating the sacred scripture. I need to clarify for him when exactly the Bible was translated into Arabic. Also, when was it translated from its original language and what was its original language. Also, when were the Qur'an and Torah translated into other languages and what were their original languages.
Please give me a clear, chronological documenting of how and when the three scriptures were collected and written down in books. I need you to give me historical facts without offending my friend, for sometimes Muslims use an aggressive, sarcastic tone when comparing how the Bible was compiled to how the Qur'an was kept and honored. Of course, our Islam respects others and should never be insulting.
Thank you for your tolerance of my words.

Salam.

Thank you for your question.

First, I would answer some of the specific questions you have asked.

1. The first Arabic translation of the Bible: The Christian Web site: The Interactive Bible states, “The first Arabic translation of the Bible came into existence about the 9th century.”

Prophet Muhammad died in the first half of the seventh century, to be specific, in the year 632 CE.

2. The original language of the Old Testament was ancient Hebrew. Jesus was a Jew, one of the Children of Israel, and he spoke Aramaic, which was a dialect of Hebrew, an Eastern Semitic language. But the books of the New Testament, including the Gospels, were written in Greek, a western language,. Some time after Jesus Christ.

3. The language of Muhammad was Arabic and the Qur’an was revealed to him in Arabic. It is the original Arabic Qur’an that is always called THE Qur’an, not any translation.

The Bible is a collection of writings done at different periods of history and by different writers. The many denominations of Christianity are not in agreement on the canon (a list of books accepted by the Church as authoritative or divinely inspired) of the Christian Bible. Some of these books are not universally accepted. The Catholic Encyclopedia has this to say on the topic:
  • The idea of a complete and clear-cut canon of the New Testament existing from the beginning, that is from Apostolic times, has no foundation in history. The Canon of the New Testament, like that of the Old, is the result of a development, of a process at once stimulated by disputes with doubters, both within and without the Church, and retarded by certain obscurities and natural hesitations, and which did not reach its final term until the dogmatic definition of the Tridentine Council.
There is a lot of........The History of the Bible and the Qur’an - Reading Islam.com - Ask About Islam (http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996016748&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE - broken link)

Old 04-19-2009, 04:58 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
how do you know the bible is telling the truth?? the holey babble was written like 2000 years ago the first babble was written by hand... and probablly was used a lot being it was the only babble in existance... and you know all used books get old and worn and have to be rewritten after a period of time say like 50 years.. and each time it gets rewritten the new author adds some new twist and meanings and verses.and forgeries. so how do you know that the holy bible is the holy bible!!! and not the holey babble full of book worms.

and that go's for all the other hoely babbles like the Qu'ran.

Nothing good has ever been the end of anyone who mocked God. IMO, you're standing on dangerous ground...

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 04-19-2009 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: edited for reference to deleted material

Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
I have a sincere Christian friend. He has asked me about the history of translating the sacred scripture. I need to clarify for him when exactly the Bible was translated into Arabic. Also, when was it translated from its original language and what was its original language. Also, when were the Qur'an and Torah translated into other languages and what were their original languages.
Please give me a clear, chronological documenting of how and when the three scriptures were collected and written down in books. I need you to give me historical facts without offending my friend, for sometimes Muslims use an aggressive, sarcastic tone when comparing how the Bible was compiled to how the Qur'an was kept and honored. Of course, our Islam respects others and should never be insulting.

Unless I leave Islam, then....Off with my head....Before you protest, those are your words on another post.

Salam.

1. The first Arabic translation of the Bible: The Christian Web site: The Interactive Bible states, “The first Arabic translation of the Bible came into existence about the 9th century.”

Prophet Muhammad died in the first half of the seventh century, to be specific, in the year 632 CE.

2. The original language of the Old Testament was ancient Hebrew. Jesus was a Jew, one of the Children of Israel, and he spoke Aramaic, which was a dialect of Hebrew, an Eastern Semitic language. But the books of the New Testament, including the Gospels, were written in Greek, a western language,. Some time after Jesus Christ.

3. The language of Muhammad was Arabic and the Qur’an was revealed to him in Arabic. It is the original Arabic Qur’an that is always called THE Qur’an, not any translation.

The Bible is a collection of writings done at different periods of history and by different writers. The many denominations of Christianity are not in agreement on the canon (a list of books accepted by the Church as authoritative or divinely inspired) of the Christian Bible. Some of these books are not universally accepted. The Catholic Encyclopedia has this to say on the topic:
  • The idea of a complete and clear-cut canon of the New Testament existing from the beginning, that is from Apostolic times, has no foundation in history. The Canon of the New Testament, like that of the Old, is the result of a development, of a process at once stimulated by disputes with doubters, both within and without the Church, and retarded by certain obscurities and natural hesitations, and which did not reach its final term until the dogmatic definition of the Tridentine Council.
There is a lot of........The History of the Bible and the Qur’an - Reading Islam.com - Ask About Islam (http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996016748&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE - broken link)
Fundamental Islam simply is not a peaceful belief.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post

Salam.

Man you're a sincere muslim.

Your sincere defence rightfully seeks to send this derogatory diatribe into obscurity.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 04-19-2009 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: reference to deleted material

Old 04-19-2009, 05:26 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Nothing good has ever been the end of anyone who mocked God. IMO, you're standing on dangerous ground...
i ask the creator all the time what 's our purpose in this life... and i have already seen signs that a creator exist!!!! there is so much forgery and mistranslations of old text that i don't follow them... if i have a question for god himself i go right to the source. and am willing to take that chance. so don't fool yourselves!!!! preach to the creator yourself ask him questions and maybe he will give you signs.

always looking for signs.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 04-19-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 05:43 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
It's too bad that people will use the tone of the OP to avoid answering the question. Because if they did, I think a whole lot of people would be less likely to interpret the bible literally.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:47 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It's too bad that people will use the tone of the OP to avoid answering the question. Because if they did, I think a whole lot of people would be less likely to interpret the bible literally.
No, it's too bad that people would rather offend, then ask an intelligent question in an intelligent manner.

Offended Christian #2. Good job.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:58 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Seriously, there is no reason for any Christian on the board to be offended. The OP is simply asking a question, and a very good one at that. Because the plain truth is none of you really know how much the Bible may or may not have been tampered with. As the OP stated, the book is over 2000 years old and has been rewritten several times. Everyone knows by now that the Bible was strictly edited by the church, having several books left out of the Bible including the Gospel of Jesus Christ himself. Not to mention the intervention of King James. Perhaps you too should start to examine your holy book a little more closely as well. Perhaps the devil's greatest trick wasn't convincing you he didn't exist. Perhaps, he made some choice changes to your holy texts by using the hands of the most corrupt creatures on this planet. The hands of man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality