Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:11 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,831,090 times

Advertisements

Why do people quote the bible as if it is the word of God? It's not even the work of God. IT was written by men, men that interpreted it for their own good at times. I'm pretty sure the God I believe in would take offense at some of the things written in the bible as being His words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:14 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,452,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Why do people quote the bible as if it is the word of God? It's not even the work of God. IT was written by men, men that interpreted it for their own good at times. I'm pretty sure the God I believe in would take offense at some of the things written in the bible as being His words.
Because it is the word of God. All scripture is inspired by God 2 Timothy 3:16.
I believe the Bible is our instruction book for life.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
How is it the word of God? Just because some guy named Timothy said so? Who was he? I bet if we all took a little trip over to Bellvue right now there would be several people who have been invited to stay there because they hear the word of God daily...hmmm. So how do we know Timothy wasn't hallucinating when he decided he heard/knew what the word of God was?

The point is we don't. The Bible was never meant to be an instruction book. Your own conscience and free will should guide you to do good in this world. The Bible at best is an early form of Newspaper....at worst the writings of lunatics. Many of the gospels and writitings were not even included because they either contradicted the ones that were included or were deemed to inflammatory and not what the "masters" of religion wanted their people to follow.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,104,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

Yes! As usual ILNC, you have the perfect answer.

Jesus referenced and quoted scripture several times in his teachings and when tempted by the devil. So if Jesus believed the scriptures, that's quite good enough for me!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:31 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,591,266 times
Quote:
How is it the word of God? Just because some guy named Timothy said so? Who was he? I bet if we all took a little trip over to Bellvue right now there would be several people who have been invited to stay there because they hear the word of God daily...hmmm. So how do we know Timothy wasn't hallucinating when he decided he heard/knew what the word of God was?

The point is we don't. The Bible was never meant to be an instruction book. Your own conscience and free will should guide you to do good in this world. The Bible at best is an early form of Newspaper....at worst the writings of lunatics. Many of the gospels and writitings were not even included because they either contradicted the ones that were included or were deemed to inflammatory and not what the "masters" of religion wanted their people to follow.
The Bible is the Word and the work of God through men. His scribes and prophets.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
The Bible is the Word and the work of God through men. His scribes and prophets.
But because it was through men you would need to assume those men were honest. And there really isn't any way of knowing that so assuming all in the bible is the work and word of God is dangerous.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Yes! As usual ILNC, you have the perfect answer.

Jesus referenced and quoted scripture several times in his teachings and when tempted by the devil. So if Jesus believed the scriptures, that's quite good enough for me!
And were you there to see/hear Jesus do this? No you are taking that out of the bible as well. So we are back to the original point, you don't know it is the word or work of God.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:40 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,452,392 times
Anyone who does not have the Holy Spirit cannot understand the spiritual things of life like the Bible. Yes there are good people who are not Christians, but without knowing Jesus as savior, asking for forgiveness of sin, they will not be in Heaven. Being good is not enough. I find comfort and peace in the Word of God. I do believe it is my instruction book for life.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,591,266 times
Quote:
But because it was through men you would need to assume those men were honest. And there really isn't any way of knowing that so assuming all in the bible is the work and word of God is dangerous.
Well someone could make the same argument about your belief in God . Couldn't they? Be honest, now. There's no physical or logical proof that He is in existence, so why do you believe in Him?

Old 04-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well someone could make the same argument about your belief in God . Couldn't they? Be honest, now. There's no physical or logical proof that He is in existence, so why do you believe in Him?
That is exactly my point!!! There is no logical proof to say that the bible is the word of God. I think touting it to be God's intruction for life is dangerous. I do think it's a wonderful story book, but there is so much contradictory infomation in it that it just can't be used as an instruction book.

This is a good website that points out many contradicitons in statements made as being from the bible: http://www.elroy.net/ehr/fighttheright.html

The title is inflammatory but the the infomation is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality